34%

Total votes: 47
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Are you a fan or a customer?

by Maneki Neko » 07 Feb 2016 23:24

Lower West
Pandoras Box My expectation of RFC is to win against middle to lower table,

There's no right to beating another team. From your job you'll know that finding the right players for the team takes time. Takes training. Takes coaching. Also the members of your team will have off days. Along with making mistakes.

Football for me is a great release from the day job. It's a soap opera. So I'll watch whatever.

Yeah, that. Its never been about success, or gr8 football, for me.
Its about the emotional rollercoaster.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Feb 2016 23:27

tmesis
Huntley & Palmer People that expect to be entertained should go and watch something else really, similarly anyone that moans about players that don't try hard enough or show enough passion. Football moved on from this stage many years ago

I don't think fans expect to be entertained. People know football comes with no guarantees, and there will be good games, average games, and some right bore-fests.

The problem is that it seems that the majority of games for about two or three years have been awful and boring, and fans are now turning up expecting the game to be crap, and expecting us to score at most one goal.

In the last year we've played 24 home league games. The results have been...

L 0-2
L 0-1
L 0-3
W 2-1
D 1-1
D 0-0
L 0-1
L 0-1
L 0-2
D 0-0
D 0-0
W 5-1
L 0-1
W 2-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 2-2
W 2-1
L 0-1
W 1-0
L 1-2
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 0-0

A record of 7 wins, 8 draws, 9 defeats.

Out of those 24 games, we failed to score in half of them.

We scored a total of 19 goals, and 5 of those were in one game. We didn't score more than two in any of the other 23 games, and in those 23 averaged just 0.6 goals a game.

Fans are just getting a bit tired of coming away from the Madejski talking about what a crap game it was.

Yeah, that is pretty terrible isnt it :lol:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Feb 2016 09:03

Definitely a customer these days.

If someone like Ipswich are charging £35 or whatever for a ticket it's a pretty easy decision not to go.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Feb 2016 10:10

I'm a fan. I don't care what the result is, I just go to watch the game, meet friends and have beers but I am delighted when we win.

I go to gigs as a customer because I know what I'm getting is quality but football as a fan as it's an unknown outcome.

The common denominator, however, will always be beer.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Feb 2016 14:51

I'm a fan who demands good customer service.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Feb 2016 15:54

Forbury Lion I'm a fan who demands good customer service.

Agreed.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 08 Feb 2016 18:13

I am a fan of beer. You can't really be a customer of beer, only the person who is selling it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2016 20:55

Maneki Neko
tmesis
Huntley & Palmer People that expect to be entertained should go and watch something else really, similarly anyone that moans about players that don't try hard enough or show enough passion. Football moved on from this stage many years ago

I don't think fans expect to be entertained. People know football comes with no guarantees, and there will be good games, average games, and some right bore-fests.

The problem is that it seems that the majority of games for about two or three years have been awful and boring, and fans are now turning up expecting the game to be crap, and expecting us to score at most one goal.

In the last year we've played 24 home league games. The results have been...

L 0-2
L 0-1
L 0-3
W 2-1
D 1-1
D 0-0
L 0-1
L 0-1
L 0-2
D 0-0
D 0-0
W 5-1
L 0-1
W 2-0
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 2-2
W 2-1
L 0-1
W 1-0
L 1-2
W 1-0
D 1-1
D 0-0

A record of 7 wins, 8 draws, 9 defeats.

Out of those 24 games, we failed to score in half of them.

We scored a total of 19 goals, and 5 of those were in one game. We didn't score more than two in any of the other 23 games, and in those 23 averaged just 0.6 goals a game.

Fans are just getting a bit tired of coming away from the Madejski talking about what a crap game it was.

Yeah, that is pretty terrible isnt it :lol:

We're doing better at the Madejski this season. We've already got to six league wins there (plus two cup). We've got nine home matches left to get three or more wins and we'll be doing better than since we got promoted.

With 26 wins from 79 home matches I spose it's no wonder people are a bit impatient and fed up.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 09 Feb 2016 11:37

I am definitely a customer. I can't express enough how much I love the match day experience that the club cherishes - and for good reason. For 50 quid, me and my boys can enjoy ourselves playing head tennis in the wonderful fun zone before kick off, and then we dart to the north stand, get in and buy three Kingsley lunch meals. Scrumptious, and a free toy! Finally, we sit down and listen to the wonderful selection of chart topping music and soak in the minimal atmosphere and laugh at the other kids in fake Man United shirts as mine are both in the full goalkeeper kit, with "Bond 1" printed on the back. then the drummer arrives and the teams come out. We remain seated just in case we trip and fall onto the JB security sponsor boarding and don't say anything opinionated in case my boys get yelled at by an old man and his girls enjoying the hot dogs that have likely come from an abandoned pig meat plant in Bhutan. But we do join in the excellent chants like "do do do do do do do do Reading" and "Blues". We watch in frustration as Reading don't perform until the 74th minute then the drums become increasing loud, emotional and adrenaline increasing as Robson_Kanu wins corner after corner. BREATH TAKING. We lose 1-0, but it's worth it for the brilliant experience. We even get in selfies with Queensley and laugh at "Kingsley's Capers" on the groundbreaking new big screen.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 Feb 2016 12:53

Huntley & Palmer Watching football is just a form of escapism to me. It allows me to forgot about real life, have a few beers and chat some rubbish with friends .The end result doesn't really matter to me as much as it used to.

Agreed. Many non-league teams are seeing rises in attendances these days as it's much cheaper to watch, you're treated less as a commodity and you can drink beer on the terraces.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Feb 2016 14:12

No Fixed Abode you can drink beer on the terraces.

Did I read this right :shock:

What clubs offer this?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Feb 2016 14:12

Green

What clubs offer this?
Rugby clubs

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Feb 2016 14:58

Green

What clubs offer this?

Have you never been to a Maidenhead game? Can smoke as well

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 09 Feb 2016 18:03

Green

What clubs offer this?

Any level below STEP5 I believe.

Linden Jones

by Linden Jones » 09 Feb 2016 21:20

You can drink alcohol on the terraces (or in the stands) at any game below the Conference National if the club itself decides to allow it.
The only time its not permitted is for an FA Cup/Trophy/Vase tie.
At Maidenhead United we now sell alcoholic drinks from the club shop on the railway side of the ground to save people walking back to the bar.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Feb 2016 22:42

Platypuss
Green

What clubs offer this?

Any level below STEP5 I believe.

That's a tragedy

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 Feb 2016 00:20

5, 6, 7, 8 should be OK though.

The Sum of the Parts
Location: "The Sum of the Parts - the evolution of the perfect team" - Publication April 9th 2016

by The Sum of the Parts » 10 Feb 2016 15:50

We shouldn't be either.

We should be "stakeholders" - consulted, listened to and actively participating in how our clubs and the game itself is run.

The Sum of the Parts
Location: "The Sum of the Parts - the evolution of the perfect team" - Publication April 9th 2016

by The Sum of the Parts » 10 Feb 2016 17:18

Sebastian Do you feel the same way about every form of entertainment you engage with?

No but the relationship between a supporter and his football club is quite unlike the relationship between any other kind of "consumer" of a product.

There's an emotional connection that is much deeper than just "customer" or "fan" - for instance, if Reading ceased to exist tomorrow, I doubt many Reading fans would go to an alternate provider of "entertainment" such as Oxford or Swindon, as they would if their local supermarket closed down. It's the kind of emotional tie that makes people want to have their ashes scattered at their football club - when did you last hear of anyone wanting to have their ashes scattered at their local branch of Tesco's?

The bad news for fans is that this emotional relationship leaves them open to exploitation - it's a loyalty that hurts them when it comes to ticket prices, merchandising, etc.

But with the emotional and financial investment that supporters make to the game, the standard commercial model of supplier/supplier just doesn't work. Fans feel disenfranchised and exploited, owners feel harassed to deliver what may not be possible and to spend money they may not have.

In an ideal world we'd be closer to the German model, where clubs are run for their supporters, who own at least 50%+1 of the club. There, supporters really are stakeholders and participants in the game - and the "Club" in football club really does have meaning, because football clubs are recognised and run as assets that have value to their community, rather than as any other type of business where the principle aim is shareholder profit (which is never possible except at a few clubs, in any case.)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Feb 2016 17:37

Clubs don't allow ashes to be scattered on pitches. Now pitches are relaid so often and have very little soil under them it leads to embarrassing questions when relatives see trucks carting off their loved ones remains.