Charlton blackmail ST holders - What do you think would happen if Reading tried this?

CrowthorneRoyal

Charlton blackmail ST holders - What do you think would happen if Reading tried this?

by CrowthorneRoyal » 12 Aug 2016 10:47

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Charlton blackmail ST holders - What do you think would happen if Reading tried this?

by Hendo » 12 Aug 2016 10:48

No doubt there would be a Twitter meLOLtdown.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Charlton blackmail ST holders - What do you think would happen if Reading tried this?

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2016 11:04

I'd respond by telling the club their income from my money is dependent on them signing an Acceptable Performance Contract. I will require a certain level of effort, skill and achievement from the players in return for my cash leading to a minimum acceptable league position. Should they fail to deliver I will consider this a breach of our agreement and require a refund for the game in question.
I consider this just as reasonable as Charlton's attempted censorship.

You wonder how they will police it. I doubt RFC. Could link my HNA id to my season ticket....

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 12 Aug 2016 11:42

Wow, there is so much in that letter from the club where they could fall foul it's unreal.
For one, they have absolutely no way of proving the person they sent the letter to was the person posting on social media (without legal investigation potentially involving the Police).
Secondly asking the person to attend their site to sign a conditional contract gives the person no cooling off period and is binding from that point. Also when the person bought their season ticket it was under the agreements in place at that time only, they can no grounds to withhold that persons purchase from them.
Signing that contract would not only mean you are willing to accept changes to your initial agreement but they can do more of the same at any time in the future.
Absolutely amateur way to alienate your fans in my view !

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2016 11:48

That's disgusting.

What is this, China?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Aug 2016 11:50

Also goes to prove that if anyone thinks our club is being run poorly, you only have to look at this basket-case of a club to becalmed.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2016 11:58

Hendo Also goes to prove that if anyone thinks our club is being run poorly, you only have to look at this basket-case of a club to becalmed.

No it doesn't. Not saying ours is poorly run but picking probably the most extreme example of the worst run club in the football league doesn't mean other clubs can't be a bit of a mess.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Aug 2016 12:10

CountryRoyal
Hendo Also goes to prove that if anyone thinks our club is being run poorly, you only have to look at this basket-case of a club to becalmed.

No it doesn't. Not saying ours is poorly run but picking probably the most extreme example of the worst run club in the football league doesn't mean other clubs can't be a bit of a mess.

I guess I can agree with that, I probably should have said something along the lines, it might give some fans a better perspective.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2016 12:15

Hendo
CountryRoyal

I guess I can agree with that, I probably should have said something along the lines, it might give some fans a better perspective.

Fair.

GloucestershireRoyal

by GloucestershireRoyal » 12 Aug 2016 12:29

Is it any surprise that the club has made this move given the carnage and disorder that the Charlton supporters have created as of late?

A commendable decision and hopefully one that other clubs follow suit with.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 12 Aug 2016 12:44

"Carnage and disorder" is one thing (as well as being an exaggeration in this case), but this is suppressing the right to express an opinion.

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 12 Aug 2016 13:33

TBH no-one knows what he alledgedly posted. It could have been "right, lets storm the pitch next time we play oxf*rd" in which case the club MIGHT have a point.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Aug 2016 13:38

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2016 13:39

CrowthorneRoyal TBH no-one knows what he alledgedly posted. It could have been "right, lets storm the pitch next time we play oxf*rd" in which case the club MIGHT have a point.

No, they don't.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 12 Aug 2016 13:50

Laughable.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Aug 2016 14:01

The Charlton owners' view is that the club is their business and The Valley is their home that supporters should feel privileged to be allowed into. They are completely devoid of any football knowledge, much like if Top Flight were at the reigns at the Madejski.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 12 Aug 2016 14:26

GloucestershireRoyal Is it any surprise that the club has made this move given the carnage and disorder that the Charlton supporters have created as of late?

Bad experience Gloucester?

smashing little club, no?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 13 Aug 2016 11:53

What's odd is that the letter is from the safety officer, not the ticket office or the club management.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Aug 2016 17:09

PieEater What's odd is that the letter is from the safety officer, not the ticket office or the club management.

Previous thread on this subject made reference to it being for just one supporter and him having been abusive and threatening to staff. I believe he's apologised and Charlton haven't actually gone through with it. It's an alternative to an out right ban.

Look beyond the surface and it's not necessarily a bad move by them.. depending on what the supporter's behaviour was actually like and what the alternatives are.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 14 Aug 2016 20:46

I think the gesture from Charlton isn't necessarily a bad one, but the tone of the letter is awful.

They're well within in their rights to want talk to anyone who is an online influencer and try and address their gripes. The threatening nature of that letter is a PR disaster though.