Where are you drinking? - Play Off Final edition

Oxon_Royal

Re: Where are you drinking? - Play Off Final edition

by Oxon_Royal » 26 May 2017 21:00

Geez...I've just read 4 pages of this and I'm still no wiser where to drink!
Yes, I know, it depends what you're after, but all I want is somewhere to grab a few pints before the game with a half-decent atmosphere and where I can actually be served within half an hour.
Guess I may be asking too much!
Cans on the train it is then :D

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 26 May 2017 21:16

Oxon_Royal Geez...I've just read 4 pages of this and I'm still no wiser where to drink!
Yes, I know, it depends what you're after, but all I want is somewhere to grab a few pints before the game with a half-decent atmosphere and where I can actually be served within half an hour.

Likewise! My plan is Baker Street for a few until 1, then get a couple of cans and chuck them over the fence at the torch and stay there until 2:30.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 May 2017 21:20

urz13
Oxon_Royal Geez...I've just read 4 pages of this and I'm still no wiser where to drink!

Likewise! My plan is Baker Street for a few until 1, then get a couple of cans and chuck them over the fence at the torch and stay there until 2:30.

I'd recommend getting to the ground for 2:30 - only as there will apparently be a larger/slower security check and apparently this will result in large queues.

I'm going to get there for 230 at the latest. If I get in quickly I will have one final beer in the ground

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 26 May 2017 21:37

Agree in regards to getting to the ground earlier - we should be in torch by 1030-11 & plan on leaving there about 1:45-2.

Would rather get in the ground a bit earlier for a beer than getting anxious waiting outside the ground at 1430/1445.

Cracking day in prospect though

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 26 May 2017 22:32

urz13

Sounds good, but may not be feasible going down to Baker Street as I'm travelling from Northants.
The Torch sounds like a plan however.
Have a great day and let's hope the result is the right one :)

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 26 May 2017 22:35

bobby1413
urz13

I'd recommend getting to the ground for 2:30 - only as there will apparently be a larger/slower security check and apparently this will result in large queues.

I'm going to get there for 230 at the latest. If I get in quickly I will have one final beer in the ground

Good advice, so cheers for that.
Was planning on the usual 2.50 arrival, but this doesn't sound like a good idea.
I need to realise this is not a normal game with a 15k attendance :o

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 May 2017 22:44

Oxon_Royal Good advice, so cheers for that.
Was planning on the usual 2.50 arrival, but this doesn't sound like a good idea.
I need to realise this is not a normal game with a 15k attendance :o

True, many more people in attendance.

But the main reason for the advice was due to Monday's attack in Manchester, the terrorism threat level now being Critical and that the Military and a heavy police presence will be on patrol.

EVERYONE I'd imagine will have some form of search completed and with 80-90'000 people that will take a little bit of time

In fact, I've just seen that the Met's football Unit tweeted:
If you are coming to Wembley this weekend, please note that there will be a 100% bag and person search. Please arrive as early as possible

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 May 2017 23:08

I can't remember if they do metal scanners at Wembers? Was gonna go standard cheeky hip flask in the crotch but don't want to if it will cause more hassle than it's worth.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 May 2017 23:23

CountryRoyal I can't remember if they do metal scanners at Wembers? Was gonna go standard cheeky hip flask in the crotch but don't want to if it will cause more hassle than it's worth.

Mmmmmm, that's risky. If you're going to do this then at least disguise it or they'll identify it immediately.

I'd recommend this as they'd never suspect it to be a hip flash

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 27 May 2017 09:15

CountryRoyal I can't remember if they do metal scanners at Wembers? Was gonna go standard cheeky hip flask in the crotch but don't want to if it will cause more hassle than it's worth.

This had crossed my mind too :)
What's the worst that can happen if it gets spotted though...surely just a confiscation and a mild amount of embarrassment?
Would you really get pulled to one side and interrogated, potentially missing the start of the game?
Actually, thinking about it, yes you probably would.
The police/stewards/anyone else in authority love to show who's in control at any football match, let alone a Wembley final.
Any opportunity they can grab to 'lay the boot in' they will take :roll:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 May 2017 12:52

bobby1413 Mmmmmm, that's risky. If you're going to do this then at least disguise it or they'll identify it immediately.

I'd recommend this as they'd never suspect it to be a hip flash

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oxon_Royal This had crossed my mind too :)
What's the worst that can happen if it gets spotted though...surely just a confiscation and a mild amount of embarrassment?
Would you really get pulled to one side and interrogated, potentially missing the start of the game?
Actually, thinking about it, yes you probably would.
The police/stewards/anyone else in authority love to show who's in control at any football match, let alone a Wembley final.
Any opportunity they can grab to 'lay the boot in' they will take :roll:

I remember at Hillsborough a few seasons back "borrowing" my ex's hip flask and had to poor it out in front of the stewards before I went in. :lol: was too drunk to actually be embarrassed more annoyed that I just threw away ten quid's worth of booze.

What you said is my concern though. I don't care if they find it and make me empty it, hell don't even care if they take the thing got loads of cheap ones. I just wouldn't want them to get all high and mighty and jobsworthy and potentially make it a bigger deal than it is.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 May 2017 13:04

Went up yesterday for a pre-Wembley piss up and check out some pubs. found a gem off Baker st. West Berkshire brewery, Not sure how popular it will be,
also the Wetherspoons just outside Baker st station is big enough to absord loads of us, checked ot Marylebone sports bar and grill. I`m a big fab of hand pulled real ales. all they had was 2 beers 3,4 and 3.6 in strength. no thank you.
I would guess the old favourites The Globe and Allsop arms will bear the brunt of most of the travelling hordes

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 27 May 2017 14:49

Got a feeling I could be drinking on my own pre-match :cry:
The Torch is bound to be rammed and a lifetime to wait to be served.
The problem being, apart from having no Reading-supporting mates where I live, is coming in from the north.
I'll be on the Bakerloo line and I'm guessing the vast proportion of Royals fans will be on the Metropolitan Line.
Looks like Baker Street's not so easy to get to on the Underground from Harrow & Wealdstone, where I come in to.
If anyone else is coming in on a London Midland train from the north, I'm looking at The Windermere right outside South Kenton station.
Not even sure I'll get served in a football shirt, but can't believe pubs in the general area of Wembley would turn away one sad and lonely Royals fan :shock:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 27 May 2017 15:13

Oxon_Royal Got a feeling I could be drinking on my own pre-match :cry:
The Torch is bound to be rammed and a lifetime to wait to be served.
The problem being, apart from having no Reading-supporting mates where I live, is coming in from the north.
I'll be on the Bakerloo line and I'm guessing the vast proportion of Royals fans will be on the Metropolitan Line.
Looks like Baker Street's not so easy to get to on the Underground from Harrow & Wealdstone, where I come in to.
If anyone else is coming in on a London Midland train from the north, I'm looking at The Windermere right outside South Kenton station.
Not even sure I'll get served in a football shirt, but can't believe pubs in the general area of Wembley would turn away one sad and lonely Royals fan :shock:

Feel free to join me if you want (I'm sure other nobbers would put up with you - sorry, I mean welcome you).

Will be in Baker Street around 11ish, then the Torch for about 1ish.

I don't think anyone will turn you away for a football shirt. There's 90'000 football fans there today for the FA Cup Final and a similar amount there on Monday.

The majority will be wearing some sort of football top, scarf or flag.

I plan to get my face painted blue/white so hopefully I will still get served

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 27 May 2017 18:56

I'll be on the Bakerloo line

Looks like Baker Street's not so easy to get to.....

Sorry to be a pedant, but it is called the Bakerloo line for a reason.....

Hope you find a drinking buddy. Don't even know why I am reading this thread. I will be travelling stupidly early with the wife and 2 kids blowing hooters , probably sat in our seats 2 and a half hours before kick off, having bought several "Wembley Teddies" and huge flags in the shop.

Have a drink for me!!!!

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 28 May 2017 10:09

notloyalenuffroyal
I'll be on the Bakerloo line

Looks like Baker Street's not so easy to get to.....

Hope you find a drinking buddy. Don't even know why I am reading this thread. I will be travelling stupidly early with the wife and 2 kids blowing hooters , probably sat in our seats 2 and a half hours before kick off, having bought several "Wembley Teddies" and huge flags in the shop.

Have a drink for me!!!!

Lol... will do!
Hey, look on the positive...at least you won't wake up on Tuesday feeling like you've been flushed down a sewer....and you WILL be able to recollect large parts of the match!!

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 28 May 2017 10:15

bobby1413 Feel free to join me if you want (I'm sure other nobbers would put up with you - sorry, I mean welcome you).

Will be in Baker Street around 11ish, then the Torch for about 1ish.

I don't think anyone will turn you away for a football shirt. There's 90'000 football fans there today for the FA Cup Final and a similar amount there on Monday.

The majority will be wearing some sort of football top, scarf or flag.

I plan to get my face painted blue/white so hopefully I will still get served

Cheers for the offer, but to be honest I'm not that bothered that I'm not actually with anyone.
All I ask for is to be caught up in a bit of pre-match atmosphere, so will probably head for the Torch at some point.
Having not seen the Royals play for 5 years (hangs his head in shame :( ) I could only get a cheap seat at Wembley, so right at the back.
Not sure what the atmosphere will be like up in the heavens, hence why a good old pre-match chanting session may be all I get!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 May 2017 10:50

take your binos, it's like watching subbuteo.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 28 May 2017 11:32

AthleticoSpizz take your binos, it's like watching subbuteo.

Nothing will be as bad as second from the back row at Old Trafford in the cup. Terrible match viewing from there. Even Newcastle United was better because at least the roof is way up high and not slanted downwards

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 May 2017 15:52

Sports Bar and Grill Marylebone Station - be there or be square.