New job for Nigel

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

New job for Nigel

by Sutekh » 04 Jul 2017 16:28

https://www.efl.com/news/2017/july/efl- ... t-the-efl/

The EFL is pleased to announce Reading’s Chief Executive Nigel Howe has been elected to the EFL Board.

Howe, who has held the position of Chief Executive at Reading since 1995, was voted onto the EFL Board by Championship clubs for a period of three years and will replace Brighton & Hove Albion’s Paul Barber following the club’s promotion to the Premier League.

Howe will join fellow Championship representatives, Brentford Chairman Cliff Crown and Jez Moxey, who is able to retain his position on the EFL Board following his recent appointment at Burton Albion as a non-Executive Director.

Another appointment confirmed is Exeter City Chairman Julian Tagg as an Alternate Director for League Two. He replaces Plymouth Argyle Chief Executive Martyn Starnes following the Pilgrims’ promotion to League One and, as an Alternate Director, will also sit on the EFL Commercial Committee.

Tagg has held numerous roles during his long-standing affiliation with the Grecians including Reserve Team Manager, Chief Executive and Chairman.

Following Howe and Tagg’s appointments, EFL Chairman Ian Lenagan said: “I am delighted to welcome Nigel on to the EFL Board. Nigel has been Chief Executive at Reading for more than 21 years and not only does he have a significant amount of experience in football but also in numerous other sectors. His insight and perspective will prove to be useful to the EFL and the clubs he will now represent.

“Julian too has a strong pedigree in the game and his knowledge and expertise of the division will be extremely helpful as will his counsel to our League Two representative John Nixon and the rest of the Board.”

Commenting on his appointment, Howe said: "I feel privileged to be appointed to the EFL's Board of Directors as a representative for the Championship and it is an honour to have been elected by my peers to the position.

"With more than 21 years as CEO at Reading, I trust I can offer both wisdom and experience to the role and I will aim to represent the EFL, the Championship and Reading Football Club to the best of my ability during my tenure.”

Exeter Chairman Tagg added: “It is an honour to have been voted by my colleagues as the Alternate Director of League Two for the EFL. The work the EFL do is really important and representing League Two is an honour I look forward to fulfilling.”

Both men will take up their positions with the EFL Board with immediate effect.

WAZZOCK

Re: New job for Nigel

by WAZZOCK » 04 Jul 2017 18:06

Well done Nigel.

An ever present at Reading during our most successful period, he has been the man pulling all the strings across the various different owners. His longevity is testament to how good he is, and he's a major asset for the club.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Jul 2017 13:27

Not quite got the same ring to it as "taxi for Terry" but good luck to him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jul 2017 13:50

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jul 2017 08:09

Interesting that he's taking this on in addition to the day to day club stuff and the large amount of other activity that is going to happen in the next few years. Presumably it's a one day a month sort of job ?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Jul 2017 09:24

Nameless Interesting that he's taking this on in addition to the day to day club stuff and the large amount of other activity that is going to happen in the next few years. Presumably it's a one day a month sort of job ?

It would appear that his responsibilities at the club may be be reduced.

According to the S*n, Ron Gourlay has been appointed as chief executive, and Nigel will become vice-chairman, in a board reshuffle by the new owners.

https://twitter.com/TalkReading/status/ ... 2665476097

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 10 Jul 2017 10:19

Looking increasingly like Reading are becoming the Vitesse Arnhem of the EFL.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 10 Jul 2017 10:33

Pretty disappointed with Howe personally.

Wrote to him once about what I thought was a good idea. Told him I had been a loyal supporter since 1962 having hardly missed a home game.

Didn't even bother to reply.

says it all for me

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 10 Jul 2017 12:00

paddy20 Pretty disappointed with Howe personally.

Wrote to him once about what I thought was a good idea. Told him I had been a loyal supporter since 1962 having hardly missed a home game.

says it all for me

Surely let HNA? be the judge of that........what was your idea?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jul 2017 13:37

muirinho
Nameless Interesting that he's taking this on in addition to the day to day club stuff and the large amount of other activity that is going to happen in the next few years. Presumably it's a one day a month sort of job ?

It would appear that his responsibilities at the club may be be reduced.

According to the S*n, Ron Gourlay has been appointed as chief executive, and Nigel will become vice-chairman, in a board reshuffle by the new owners.

https://twitter.com/TalkReading/status/ ... 2665476097

Former Chelsea CEO Ron Gourlay is Reading's new CEO as of today.

Nigel is now Vice Chairman and his primary role will be to oversee the REP project.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... n_Gourlay/

No doubt Kes will give us all an insight into Ron...

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 10 Jul 2017 13:39

Real statement of intent this.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 10 Jul 2017 17:54

Matt de K
paddy20 Pretty disappointed with Howe personally.

says it all for me

Surely let HNA? be the judge of that........what was your idea?

In the business world, new employees are offered a lot of help when joining companies, especially from overseas.
At the time (and probably still), there was little or no help given to new players to assist with things like looking for accommodation which areas to live, schools, shopping centres, schooling etc.
My proposal was to help the family settle in by providing that local knowledge and help. This would not only be of benefit to the family as a whole but would take some of the pressure off the player and let him concentrate on training and playing. A happy player is more likely to perform better.
Having had experience of using and running re-settlement companies and having lived locally for much of my life, I offered to discuss this with Howe and would have provided the service free of charge (as I am now semi retired).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jul 2017 20:49

Out of interest what makes you think it's not a service provided at the club ? I agree it's one that should be and certainly is at many other clubs. A lot of the big clubs have what are effectively concierges, on call 24/7 to deal with any issues that arise. Have heard some bizarre stories of what they have been asked to do.
I have wonderedwhether the club provides English lessons to players signed who do not speak good English (although obviously we've not signed any Glaswegians of late and all Dutch players are fluent at birth.)

On balance I'd say the positives from Nige's tenure probably outweigh him not replying to a speculative letter some years back, but can see why your view may differ.
I would mention that I first met him in a toilet in Newbury, my lips are sealed regarding further details.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 10 Jul 2017 21:25

Nameless Out of interest what makes you think it's not a service provided at the club ? I agree it's one that should be and certainly is at many other clubs. A lot of the big clubs have what are effectively concierges, on call 24/7 to deal with any issues that arise. Have heard some bizarre stories of what they have been asked to do.
I have wonderedwhether the club provides English lessons to players signed who do not speak good English (although obviously we've not signed any Glaswegians of late and all Dutch players are fluent at birth.)

On balance I'd say the positives from Nige's tenure probably outweigh him not replying to a speculative letter some years back, but can see why your view may differ.
I would mention that I first met him in a toilet in Newbury, my lips are sealed regarding further details.

I know one of the foreign players. He had no help.This was about 3 years ago. He said it was the same for others. Just left a bad taste for me after spending my whole life as a supporter to not even warrant a thanks but no thanks.Sorry just my personal experience of him.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jul 2017 12:42

paddy20
Nameless Out of interest what makes you think it's not a service provided at the club ? I agree it's one that should be and certainly is at many other clubs. A lot of the big clubs have what are effectively concierges, on call 24/7 to deal with any issues that arise. Have heard some bizarre stories of what they have been asked to do.

I know one of the foreign players. He had no help.This was about 3 years ago. He said it was the same for others. Just left a bad taste for me after spending my whole life as a supporter to not even warrant a thanks but no thanks.Sorry just my personal experience of him.

I was thinking whether Reading did offer such a service to ALL their players whether British or from overseas recently. Thought it would be something I'd like to help out with in spare time if it was needed in some capacity. Glad to know that it appears they do not, which it pretty awful in my opinion (I suppose what they offer amounts to free hotel room while player X sorts himself out with his agent's help etc.).

Wonder if that has changed in the last couple of years, Perhaps paddy20 should write again now Mr Gourlay's in town as I'm sure Ron would like to start putting his stamp onto things as soon as possible.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Jul 2017 13:40

Might be better to contact Jackie Evans as head of HR than the chief exec.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 11 Jul 2017 15:57

Nameless Might be better to contact Jackie Evans as head of HR than the chief exec.

Good points you two. Lot of fans have valuable local knowledge. I will write to both and see what happens!

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 11 Jul 2017 17:59

paddy20
Nameless Might be better to contact Jackie Evans as head of HR than the chief exec.

Good points you two. Lot of fans have valuable local knowledge. I will write to both and see what happens!

Tbf to Nigel (who I don't know at all), it's entirely possible he passed on your initial email to someone else to look after, and thought no more about it - and it is that person who didn't bother responding.

There must be somebody in the club who is responsible for, at the very least, sorting out hotel accommodation for new arrivals. There's certainly some kind of liaison for academy joinees from abroad, that co-ordinates with host families. It's not knowing who that person is, that makes it difficult. I'd second the idea of contacting Jackie Evans in the first place.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 11 Jul 2017 18:59

muirinho
paddy20

Tbf to Nigel (who I don't know at all), it's entirely possible he passed on your initial email to someone else to look after, and thought no more about it - and it is that person who didn't bother responding.

There must be somebody in the club who is responsible for, at the very least, sorting out hotel accommodation for new arrivals. There's certainly some kind of liaison for academy joinees from abroad, that co-ordinates with host families. It's not knowing who that person is, that makes it difficult. I'd second the idea of contacting Jackie Evans in the first place.

I'm sure the admin stuff hotels etc is sorted, but I was thinking more along the lines of a personal assistant for the first months. For a minimal cost it could save players like Hurtado not settling or other players not really integrating into the area or having their minds on other things other than playing. A happy player is usually a lot more effective and with the huge costs of investing in a new player, investment in this type of support would easily be re-paid I think. Re-location agents are often used in big Companies but this would provide similar services but with a more personal touch.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jul 2017 00:12

It could be argued that players might easily be in earning in excess of £500,000 per season so if they need someone to tell them how to find a house or which side of the road to drive on they could comfortably afford to pay for it themselves.
I agree that it is probably a sensible way to take care of the club's key assets. But the point that these very rich young men could be expected to take a bit of responsibility for themselves is at least one answer to the original question.
Reading have always said that while they may not compete financially with top clubs they aim to attract players by being a 'good' club to play for. This would surely come under that heading ?