Safe standing progress

112 posts
Nobby Royal

Safe standing progress

by Nobby Royal » 11 Jul 2017 22:30

Now that Shrewsbury have applied to put 500 rail seats into their South Stand and Northampton are following suit - and the Premier League are surveying all their clubs - there must be a reasonable chance that safe standing will come to the Madejski in the future.

Reading have previously indicated support for it but who knows what the new owners' views are?

Personally I think the back of the North Stand would be a good place for it and it would finally help create an atmosphere.

What I'm interested to know is:
a) Would you move from your current seat to a standing area?
b) If they put rail seats where you sit would you stand or move?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Safe standing progress

by Forbury Lion » 12 Jul 2017 09:50

a) No, my back would not cope with standing all game.
b) I would move, but since I sit in the Lower West near the away fans I can't see this are being made a standing area.

As I've said before, I imagine the North Stand would be the preferred safe standing area for the club as it would reduce the number of "active" Reading fans near the Scoreboard and help reduce that particular flashpoint for trouble between home and away fans..... then again, the North Stand is being marketed as a family stand and I'm not sure that would mix too well with fans standing.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Jul 2017 10:59

a) no
b) move

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Jul 2017 11:06

Nobby Royal Now that Shrewsbury have applied to put 500 rail seats into their South Stand and Northampton are following suit - and the Premier League are surveying all their clubs - there must be a reasonable chance that safe standing will come to the Madejski in the future.

Reading have previously indicated support for it but who knows what the new owners' views are?

Personally I think the back of the North Stand would be a good place for it and it would finally help create an atmosphere.

I do not like being behind the goals, so would be reluctant to move if that's where the standing area was

So - standing where I am, I would stand. Standing anywhere except in North Stand, or right in the corners, would move to stand.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 12 Jul 2017 12:12

Silver Fox a) no
b) move

^^
Fully in favour of standing, but my back won't tolerate it either.
The occassional away game is fine

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 Jul 2017 19:32

muirinho
Nobby Royal Now that Shrewsbury have applied to put 500 rail seats into their South Stand and Northampton are following suit - and the Premier League are surveying all their clubs - there must be a reasonable chance that safe standing will come to the Madejski in the future.

I do not like being behind the goals, so would be reluctant to move if that's where the standing area was

So - standing where I am, I would stand. Standing anywhere except in North Stand, or right in the corners, would move to stand.

The view from the North Stand is fantastic. I was there for the first two years the ground was open, but moved because there was no atmosphere.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 12 Jul 2017 20:58

There's no way I'd move from Y25. I enjoy being with the ultras - even if it does get a bit intimidating at times

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jul 2017 21:41

I'm not really interested in standing, but am happy that those who want to be given that choice,
I'd not be too happy to lose my long held seat in the North Stand, especially as I suspect there are not many seats in the areas I would want to move to.
The front of the North would be a better place than the back, the front rows are mostly groups attending for one off games so not so many long standing fans would be affected.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 13 Jul 2017 12:16

tmesis
muirinho

The view from the North Stand is fantastic. I was there for the first two years the ground was open, but moved because there was no atmosphere.

I have sat in North Stand - I'm not knocking the view. One of the plus points about the "soulless" Mad Stad is the view from everywhere is pretty damn good. I've been there for a couple of FA Cup games, so in fact atmosphere has been good when I've been.

It's just a personal preference. I hate being the other end of the pitch from one of the goals. I do it for away games and Wembley etc, but just wouldn't do it for an entire season at home.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 13 Jul 2017 12:44

This was discussed after I personally raised it with the club at the Supporter's Focus Group about 18 months ago.

The club actively support safe standing, but the stadium would require significant structural work to be able to accommodate it. Also (bearing in mind this was discussed under previous ownership) the club would need to reassure themselves that they would receive a return on their investment.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Jul 2017 12:48

Would need the stadium expansion to go ahead before it happens here.
Would be interested to understand why it seems some grounds can just bolt the rail seats in whilst we would need significant work doing. Something to do with the height of the steps or rake of the stands perhaps ?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Jul 2017 18:43

Nameless Would need the stadium expansion to go ahead before it happens here.
Would be interested to understand why it seems some grounds can just bolt the rail seats in whilst we would need significant work doing. Something to do with the height of the steps or rake of the stands perhaps ?

Adding rail seats and just having the same capacity as now wouldn't require any strengthening at all. People don't weigh more standing up.

The only work would be putting in the rail seats - although I can't see why, if going down that route, they couldn't just install handrails in front of each row.

It's changing the end/section to hold maybe 50% more than before that might require structural work.

I'd only only move to a standing section if it had proper terracing, as routinely used across Europe, and even beyond. I wouldn't move for rail seats.

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 14 Jul 2017 10:18

handbags_harris This was discussed after I personally raised it with the club at the Supporter's Focus Group about 18 months ago.

The club actively support safe standing, but the stadium would require significant structural work to be able to accommodate it. Also (bearing in mind this was discussed under previous ownership) the club would need to reassure themselves that they would receive a return on their investment.

I had this conversation with a director a few years ago.. His comment "We can't sell the seats we have so why waste money on this?" There was no mention of any real structural work required apart from the seat removal and adding the rails. That's a red herring IMHO.

mashoosive LOL at the "With my back?" answers..

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 14 Jul 2017 10:52

Would be good if away ends had safe standing too. I know a lot of old folk are put off attending away games because they have to mingle with the Reading scorpions.

One87One

by One87One » 14 Jul 2017 11:23

The club do support it and voted in favour of it 2-3 years ago. It was suggested that the top half of the East Stand be converted to Rail Seats. It was also put forward by fans that the South East corner around to Y25 be converted. Both will be considered if (when) the roll out is approved.

The more thecub hear of your support the better. Whether it be an email (ideally) or a tweet, they are all acknowledged.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Jul 2017 14:38

I'm in Y25/26 and that's where I'd imagine the safe standing area would be. I would be thoroughly dissatisfied as I wouldn't be able to sit on my hands with my blanket and flask anymore. :lol:

Lol, 100% in for standing obvs.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 14 Jul 2017 15:59

CountryRoyal I'm in Y25/26 and that's where I'd imagine the safe standing area would be. I would be thoroughly dissatisfied as I wouldn't be able to sit on my hands with my blanket and flask anymore. :lol:

Lol, 100% in for standing obvs.

I'm pretty sure they'd never put the safe standing area next to the away section. So either it wouldn't be in Y25/26 or if it was they would reloc8 the away fans.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jul 2017 16:56

Moving the away supporters is a non starter.
The away end is where it is for good reasons.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Jul 2017 19:43

So, the most obvious solution would be standing at the North and South ends. Back to a bit of tradition then, with the home and away vocal elements at opposite ends of the stadium.

My understanding is that the structural issue is down to the steepness of the current seating. The stadium was built for all-seater use and that is an issue for any future changes.

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 15 Jul 2017 08:49

West Stand Man So, the most obvious solution would be standing at the North and South ends. Back to a bit of tradition then, with the home and away vocal elements at opposite ends of the stadium.

My understanding is that the structural issue is down to the steepness of the current seating. The stadium was built for all-seater use and that is an issue for any future changes.

My understanding and memory is that the stadium isn't that steep and isn't the issue. but interested in the counter argument. however as I say the main concern was voiced to me as "Why bother?"

Interestingly safe standing is taking over all around the world. Ironically even at the home of modern seated stadia America is embracing SS as a way forward of enhancing spectator enjoyment.

it's going to happen here 100% IMHO.

112 posts