Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

2100 posts
lewesroyal

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by lewesroyal » 04 Sep 2019 14:08

The Enfield Royal71 Club 1871 dictating to fans how to celebrate and to not go towards the away fans. Trying to ruin the organic atmosphere and elation of scoring a goal after being goaded all game by away fans. :roll:

I've never understood why anyone wants to spend 2 hours shouting at strangers based on purely their choice of football team. I go along to support my team. The other fans are incidental. As an adult surely it's not difficult to ignore someone's childish behaviour.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2019 17:38

lewesroyal
The Enfield Royal71 Club 1871 dictating to fans how to celebrate and to not go towards the away fans. Trying to ruin the organic atmosphere and elation of scoring a goal after being goaded all game by away fans. :roll:

I've never understood why anyone wants to spend 2 hours shouting at strangers based on purely their choice of football team. I go along to support my team. The other fans are incidental. As an adult surely it's not difficult to ignore someone's childish behaviour.

It's frequently counter productive if they've been quiet too because there's a decent chance it'll rile them into action.

A bit of too and fro is decent occasionally. But so much of it these days is just running down the tedious checklist of:

Your support is shit
This is shit I want to go home
Like a library
Empty seats

Rinse repeat regardless of how noisy anyone is, how nice the stadium is, how full any stand is. Trying to manufacture antagonism where there is none between the clubs.

Yawn. It's like any defeat has to spark a major rivalry or something. :roll: Try something original for a change.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 08 Sep 2019 13:39

Snowflake Royal
lewesroyal

It's frequently counter productive if they've been quiet too because there's a decent chance it'll rile them into action.

A bit of too and fro is decent occasionally. But so much of it these days is just running down the tedious checklist of:

Your support is shit
Like a library
Empty seats

Rinse repeat regardless of how noisy anyone is, how nice the stadium is, how full any stand is. Trying to manufacture antagonism where there is none between the clubs.

Yawn. It's like any defeat has to spark a major rivalry or something. :roll: Try something original for a change.

Agree - hate those chants. Beyond the point of letting opposition fans annoy me. But to younger men whose pride is at stake, can understand why they want to retaliate.

C1871 have to accept that if they are happy to be positioned next to the away fans, this kind of thing will always happen. Still don’t understand personally why they couldn’t have moved to the North/East corner; it would have been good to have noise in Y26 and then noise for the players to play into in the 2nd half. Maybe in the future

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Sep 2019 14:11

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal
lewesroyal

Your support is shit
Like a library
Empty seats

Agree - hate those chants. Beyond the point of letting opposition fans annoy me. But to younger men whose pride is at stake, can understand why they want to retaliate.

C1871 have to accept that if they are happy to be positioned next to the away fans, this kind of thing will always happen. Still don’t understand personally why they couldn’t have moved to the North/East corner; it would have been good to have noise in Y26 and then noise for the players to play into in the 2nd half. Maybe in the future

C1871 mostly don't get involved. A bit here and there. The antagonism was more Y25/6's thing... and frequently backfired.

C1871 didn't go in the North (IMO) because:
- There are existing STHs who d have to be moved, which isn't ok
- It's the family stand, so children, families etc. That doesn't work with standing and loud chanting for long periods

It had to start somewhere empty so only people who wanted to participate would be there and no one else was directly affected.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 08 Sep 2019 17:42

Snowflake Royal
lewesroyal

Your support is shit
Like a library
Empty seats

And TBF Addictzzzst outdid themselves there. Four minutes of “You’re f@cking shit” did them proud in the second half after the second, as they knew they’d now hold on. They were right of course, but I did feel sorry for the dad in the row in front of me in Y23 with 6 and I’d guess 11 year old daughters. Plus those proud sons of one of the proudest parishes in East London were loud enough to be heard in the ED, I’m sure.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Sep 2019 19:03

I love being positioned next to the away fans.....much more fun, its what adds to the day......rubbing their noses in it when your winning, and at the same time taking it when things arnt going so well.......excellent atmosphere as well. Yeah there's some twats that over react but the stewards seem to know who they are.
My gripe about c1871, and it is very minor, is that I thought there was a minimum age limit. There were loads of kids in there for the Charlton game down the front.....a child close to that kind of abuse being hurled is wrong. They should be up the other end of the ground.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 08 Sep 2019 19:46

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal It's frequently counter productive if they've been quiet too because there's a decent chance it'll rile them into action.

Your support is shit
Like a library
Empty seats

C1871 mostly don't get involved. A bit here and there. The antagonism was more Y25/6's thing... and frequently backfired.

C1871 didn't go in the North (IMO) because:
- There are existing STHs who d have to be moved, which isn't ok
- It's the family stand, so children, families etc. That doesn't work with standing and loud chanting for long periods

It had to start somewhere empty so only people who wanted to participate would be there and no one else was directly affected.

Admittedly as an exile, I rarely get to the Mad Stad these days but whenever I see the north stand on the highlights/live games, it’s a sea of empty seats. So yes I agree it’s never good to upset existing ST holders, surely it would only be a few hundred at most who’d have to move?

If the north is the family stand, what does that make the West stand? Remember that used to be the family stand

Just seems a shame that, whilst C1871 has been a really positive thing, rather than having noise dotted around the stadium, it’s dragged people into 1 area at the expense of the rest of the ground. Can completely understand how it’s happened though, and it’s a positive start

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 Sep 2019 22:03

Ascotexgunner I love being positioned next to the away fans.....much more fun, its what adds to the day......rubbing their noses in it when your winning, and at the same time taking it when things arnt going so well.......excellent atmosphere as well. Yeah there's some twats that over react but the stewards seem to know who they are.
My gripe about c1871, and it is very minor, is that I thought there was a minimum age limit. There were loads of kids in there for the Charlton game down the front.....a child close to that kind of abuse being hurled is wrong. They should be up the other end of the ground.

Seats are cheaper for kids in the North stand but there are no age limits in any part of the ground, I've seen kids in Y24/Y25 (may also be in Y26, but I've never been there, it's too much in the corner for me).

I can remember seeing some fans having a gripe at some player or other swearing at fans in Y25/Y26 because kids might hear them. Mate, if you think footballers are paid to take all sorts of abuse from their own and away fans, without retaliating, that's one thing - but if you've brought your 7 year old deep into the East Stand you cannot go "Think of the kids" when it comes to bad language.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 25 Sep 2019 01:41

I have to say I think you can barely hear 1871 now they've been moved away from the back. it looked to me like they weren't even trying for long periods against Charlton

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 05 Oct 2019 15:17

2 world wars, 1 world cup Ex-Southbank and East stand chantstarter here, generally disappointed by the new generation of chanters over the last 10 years or so but I have to say I like a certain chant, not sure what it is though. I'm sure you all know it, It starts (notes in brackets)...

der(A) der(A) der(G) der(F) OOOPH (or hoops?) der(A) der(A) de(A) der(G) der(F) OOOPH der(A) der(A) der(A) der(F) deeeeeeeeeeeer(G)....

Great rhythm and build up and punch to it, really rocks the stadium when we sing it. Good work guys. (probably nicked off another team I imagine though... )

Someone fill me in please.

not sure it's quite sung on those notes, perhaps it's a little flat at times, but I think you are referring to the "hoof" chant. My understanding is that it is in reference to old criticisms that we would just"hoof" the ball upfront. Not 100% sure tho

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Oct 2019 09:51

Bigtimmeh
2 world wars, 1 world cup Ex-Southbank and East stand chantstarter here, generally disappointed by the new generation of chanters over the last 10 years or so but I have to say I like a certain chant, not sure what it is though. I'm sure you all know it, It starts (notes in brackets)...

der(A) der(A) der(G) der(F) OOOPH (or hoops?) der(A) der(A) de(A) der(G) der(F) OOOPH der(A) der(A) der(A) der(F) deeeeeeeeeeeer(G)....

Great rhythm and build up and punch to it, really rocks the stadium when we sing it. Good work guys. (probably nicked off another team I imagine though... )

not sure it's quite sung on those notes, perhaps it's a little flat at times, but I think you are referring to the "hoof" chant. My understanding is that it is in reference to old criticisms that we would just"hoof" the ball upfront. Not 100% sure tho

Thanks. What are the lyrics to the hoof chant then?

I’m a musician so unlikely will have melody wrong but it’s possible I’m not remembering it correctly.

I think at some point I remember it being sung when Meite did something , not sure if he has a chant like that.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 06 Oct 2019 12:09

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Bigtimmeh

I’m a musician so unlikely will have melody wrong but it’s possible I’m not remembering it correctly.

I think at some point I remember it being sung when Meite did something , not sure if he has a chant like that.
perhaps I have the wrong chant. The one I'm thinking of doesn't really have lyrics apart from hoof. I think the rest is just Der Der Der de Der de Der hoof. My reference to the notes was more a reflection on people's singing ability than your musical ear.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Oct 2019 12:15

Bigtimmeh
Bigtimmeh

perhaps I have the wrong chant. The one I'm thinking of doesn't really have lyrics apart from hoof. I think the rest is just Der Der Der de Der de Der hoof. My reference to the notes was more a reflection on people's singing ability than your musical ear.

Oh, hehe. Yeah that old ‘chant’ doesn’t even have a melody :D

Thanks though at least you’re trying to answer the question. Can’t believe someone can’t answer it though 100s are singing it!

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 06 Oct 2019 12:34

Bigtimmeh

Thanks though at least you’re trying to answer the question. Can’t believe someone can’t answer it though 100s are singing it!

Oh actually looking at the notes more carefully I think that one has various words to it..I know sometimes it's "we've got the ball..we've got the ball..we've got the ball we've got the ball we've got the ball etc (or we've lost the ball). Other times isn't it the old Yann kermorgant chant?

There's another one which is something about politics that comes around sometimes. Not sure what that is either.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Oct 2019 12:52

Bigtimmeh
Bigtimmeh perhaps I have the wrong chant. The one I'm thinking of doesn't really have lyrics apart from hoof. I think the rest is just Der Der Der de Der de Der hoof. My reference to the notes was more a reflection on people's singing ability than your musical ear.

Oh actually looking at the notes more carefully I think that one has various words to it..I know sometimes it's "we've got the ball..we've got the ball..we've got the ball we've got the ball we've got the ball etc (or we've lost the ball). Other times isn't it the old Yann kermorgant chant?

There's another one which is something about politics that comes around sometimes. Not sure what that is either.

Go on an online piano right now and play those notes, will give you the tune. Is that it?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Oct 2019 15:49

Bigtimmeh

Go on an online piano right now and play those notes, will give you the tune. Is that it?

That's definitely the Yann Kermogant chant tune. Whether there's other words to it or not, I wouldn't know.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Oct 2019 16:12

muirinho
Bigtimmeh

That's definitely the Yann Kermogant chant tune. Whether there's other words to it or not, I wouldn't know.

Ah ok good man. What are some of the lyrics to the kermogant version? It has been sung since kermogant so perhaps it's been adapted ?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Oct 2019 16:17

muirinho
Bigtimmeh

Actually I've checked it on YouTube and oddly enough you're right the melody does fit the Yann chant but it's a different chant I'm thinking of.

One87One

by One87One » 15 Oct 2019 18:07

I’m still fully being C1871 but I get some back pain and can’t sit as then I can’t see, plus the atmosphere does lack more often than not. I’ll move my season ticket back to Y25 soon or even to the upper west.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Oct 2019 08:05

One87One I’m still fully being C1871 but I get some back pain and can’t sit as then I can’t see, plus the atmosphere does lack more often than not. I’ll move my season ticket back to Y25 soon or even to the upper west.

Wow great commitment. You were the one on here chastising people for not falling in line and backing Club 1871, weren't you? What a complete fraud you are.

2100 posts