Financial Fair Play

399 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Financial Fair Play

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2019 15:20

biff https://twitter.com/uglygame/status/1141232038474858496

Succinct thread from the brilliant Martin Calladine. We're not looking too healthy.

Schooling our very own maffff along the way too.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Aug 2019 08:59

Would anyone like to make a guess of where we are with FFP after the 'splurging' of the last couple of weeks?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2019 09:16

Elm Park Kid Would anyone like to make a guess of where we are with FFP after the 'splurging' of the last couple of weeks?

We’ve paid one transfer fee so far and that seems to have involved little or no real outlay. If Puscas joins that pushes it a bit, but hard to imagine we’ve gone from a self imposed embargo to being wreckless. I think we’re going to be within the limits come the end of the season

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Aug 2019 09:24

Nameless
Elm Park Kid Would anyone like to make a guess of where we are with FFP after the 'splurging' of the last couple of weeks?

We’ve paid one transfer fee so far and that seems to have involved little or no real outlay. If Puscas joins that pushes it a bit, but hard to imagine we’ve gone from a self imposed embargo to being wreckless. I think we’re going to be within the limits come the end of the season

I think 'wreckless' should become the new 'confimred' / 'escapegoat'! Classic. As in: 'I'm a total wreck, after being too wreckless recently'.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2019 09:31

Royalwaster
Nameless

I think 'wreckless' should become the new 'confimred' / 'escapegoat'! Classic. As in: 'I'm a total wreck, after being too wreckless recently'.

I’d blame spellchecker had I not ac tually stopped and thought about the W beforetyping !

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Aug 2019 10:01

It's fine ... it's actually really funny ... I make silly mistakes like that myself all the time!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 07 Aug 2019 11:54

Snowflake Royal
biff https://twitter.com/uglygame/status/1141232038474858496

Succinct thread from the brilliant Martin Calladine. We're not looking too healthy.

Schooling our very own maffff along the way too.

Despite Maffff being a complete Gimp of late, I wouldn't say he was 'Schooled' on that thread. Calladine just disagreed with Maffff's opinion on the severity of the situation. Maffff rightly pointed out the reason our players had a late pay packet that we all found out pretty quickly too. Maybe Calladine should have looked into our situation more before generalising and lumping us in with other struggling clubs. Situations are rarely identical.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Aug 2019 13:50

Nameless

These days it seems as though salaries are a bigger burden than transfer fees. Even the average fans now understands that a 'free' transfer is far from free.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Aug 2019 13:56

Nameless

Puscas on reported salary of £18k per week, which is not obscene at this level. I'd guess most Gourlay contracts where at least in that ball park, with many higher. So when you consider the players offloaded, Bod money, sell on fees for Stacey and Hector, maybe there was just more to play around with for fees than we thought, so long as our overall wage expense is much lower.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 07 Aug 2019 14:31

WestYorksRoyal
Nameless

Puscas on reported salary of £18k per week, which is not obscene at this level. I'd guess most Gourlay contracts where at least in that ball park, with many higher. So when you consider the players offloaded, Bod money, sell on fees for Stacey and Hector, maybe there was just more to play around with for fees than we thought, so long as our overall wage expense is much lower.

To add aswell Mcshane and the other out of contract players wages, 750k for Bodvarson and wages, Kellys wages and a sell on fee to help us in the future. Meylers wages. I would not be suprised if they are rolling the dice a little bit on Mannone and Aluko becoming permenant at there respective loan clubs.
other than that our outlay has not been massive this year.

In
Joao Virginia on loan couple of thousand in wages
Rafael Free transfer 10k a week in wages
Matt Miazga on loan reported small percentage of wages
Michael Morrison Free Transfer 10-15 k a week
Pele Loan small wage percentage
Charlie Adam Free Transfer 10k in wages I hope
Lucas Joao 2 million up front reported rising to 7 million dependant on many factors knowing Howe 15-20k in wages probably
Lucas Boye on loan small wage percentage
George Puscus 3 million up front rising to potentially 8 million 18 k in wages a week reported.
One more on loan CM maybe Ejaria

Out
Anssi Jaakola 10k wages a week
Paul Mcshane 25k in wages a week
John Oshea 10k in wages a week
Danzell Gravenberch 5k in wages a week
Joey Van Den Berg 10-15k in wages a week
David Meyler 20k a week
Liam Kelly probably 25k a week under Gourlay new contract was signed
Callum Harriot 5k a week
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson 750k and 15k a week

plus sell on fees from Stacey and Hector of about 2.5 million we are not far off breaking even with players out to players in there is about 80k in wages a week in the new players and about 120k off the books so that will help offset the fees we will still be in a stronger position next summer. I would not be suprised if there was another 50k in wages between Gunter, Gmac and Popa which no matter we will lose next summer.

don't forget we also sold Ilori and Bacuna in January aswell which also will offset some of the losses we had before.

We flew close to the wind but actually are in a better financial place than we have been for the last couple of years and it will only get better in the coming years.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Aug 2019 15:53

linkenholtroyal
WestYorksRoyal
Nameless

In
Lucas Joao 2 million up front reported rising to 7 million dependant on many factors knowing Howe 15-20k in wages probably

...one of those factors rumored to be us being in Prem League? And we all know the windfall there.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Aug 2019 16:47

This is the reality of fans' demands that clubs show ambition. A stream of inexperienced owners of unclear financial means, impatience with managers, rising debts and a slow drift down the Championship towards the relegation zone. And the only plan? Somehow get back into the PL.

oh that's a headshot.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Aug 2019 18:03

I saw on another thread that we've done the current trick of selling assets (training ground) to the owner to generate revenue. It's a one off injection - but it could potentially be worth multiple millions.

Surprised that the rules allow it, but so be it.

There's actually fairly little downside to the club from this.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Aug 2019 08:15

Elm Park Kid I saw on another thread that we've done the current trick of selling assets (training ground) to the owner to generate revenue. It's a one off injection - but it could potentially be worth multiple millions.

I doubt the rules could prevent a club selling an asset. Where it could be an issue if it was for a grossly inflated price. It would need to be ‘realistic’.
I agree the downside is limited, but it depends on having an owner with the long term interests of the club at heart. If your ground and training ground are owned by someone else and they decide they don’t want you using then the next you have a problem. Also depends on how the asset has been set up. Pompey got in a horrible situation because different people owned different bits of their ground. The ground owner couldn’t develop the land because someone else owned the car park and access. Our situation where the ground is owned by Dai and the carpark / REP is owned by the Thai’s is a slight worry but I think it is inevitable that Dai will buy that back at some point.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Aug 2019 08:40

Nameless
Royalwaster
Nameless

I’d blame spellchecker had I not ac tually stopped and thought about the W beforetyping !

You're not rong in what you said though.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Aug 2019 08:51

Elm Park Kid I saw on another thread that we've done the current trick of selling assets (training ground) to the owner to generate revenue. It's a one off injection - but it could potentially be worth multiple millions.

disagree with the last bit

a club no longer owning its stadium and training ground has potential very big downsides

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Aug 2019 08:56

Nameless

I doubt the rules could prevent a club selling an asset. Where it could be an issue if it was for a grossly inflated price. It would need to be ‘realistic’.
I agree the downside is limited, but it depends on having an owner with the long term interests of the club at heart. If your ground and training ground are owned by someone else and they decide they don’t want you using then the next you have a problem. Also depends on how the asset has been set up. Pompey got in a horrible situation because different people owned different bits of their ground. The ground owner couldn’t develop the land because someone else owned the car park and access. Our situation where the ground is owned by Dai and the carpark / REP is owned by the Thai’s is a slight worry but I think it is inevitable that Dai will buy that back at some point.

Actually, I think it would be fairly easy to introduce rules that say you're not allowed to sell your ground or training ground without EFL approval - which is only given if you are moving to new locations.

I'm assuming though that Pompey sold bits of the ground to 'outsiders' to literally stay in business. What we're doing is just shuffling the paperwork a bit. It's like buying something off one of your (child) kids. Technically you owned it anyway.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Aug 2019 09:01

you only need to see what Dai has done with his Belgian club to see what can happen when a club suddenly becomes an asset an owner no longer wants/has the best interests of at heart.

I'm all for the current approach, and generaly think Dai is doing all the right things and making all the right moves regarding the fans/club.I think its needed to arrest the decline of the club and us falling out the bottom of the championship and hope very much that it does the trick.
if it does not however, and the club does get relegated, without the ground etc, i fear we are in the shit, big time

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 08 Aug 2019 11:54

For downside of not owning stadium, see Coventry City.

If the owner of the stadium thinks he can make more money turning the Madejski stadium into a Rugby Club stadium, they can do that. And then we could have a nice little ground share with Reading Town FC, or slighlty more delicious....Oxford United.

Also, clearly, you can only sell your ground once. So if selling your ground in order to buy 2 strikers that may turn out to be duff doesnt work out, next time you want to splurge the cash, you have one less method of financing that splurge.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Aug 2019 12:06

Greatwesternline

For downside of not owning stadium, see Coventry City.

If the owner of the stadium thinks he can make more money turning the Madejski stadium into a Rugby Club stadium, they can do that. And then we could have a nice little ground share with Reading Town FC, or slighlty more delicious....Oxford United.

Also, clearly, you can only sell your ground once. So if selling your ground in order to buy 2 strikers that may turn out to be duff doesnt work out, next time you want to splurge the cash, you have one less method of financing that splurge.

What the owner can do will depend on the terms of the lease. We may have a 999 year lease on the ground or a covenant which means it can only be a football stadium. Coventry was a very different situation and mostly down to the Coventry owners being absolute crooks.
Agreed that you can only sell once, although Dai could easily resell the ground to the club for £1 if he wanted to. If selling meant we remained solvent it would have been daft not to, it wasn’t sold to fund a glamour purchase .

399 posts