Season Ticket Refund?

121 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Season Ticket Refund?

by Zip » 07 May 2020 18:30

RoyalBlue
Green
Elm Park Kid I does depress me sometimes when fans argue for their own exploitation.

+1, this never fails to surprise and :| me.

Purely as an industry football is pretty abhorrent, the people running it (from the local FA all the way up to FIFA) equally so.

I've been very critical of owners and business management in the past but I really don't think that the club under the Dais has been exploiting us at all. Just look at the initiatives that they've introduced and paid for out of their own pockets.

Reduced income will lead to reduced money available for players wages and transfer fees. Football will continue, players wages may drop but I suspect our club's position in the football pyramid will drop too. And if the Dais take the view we're an ungrateful bunch of barstewards and/or get fed up of pumping so much of their money in, our club may not exist at all.

Agreed.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 11 May 2020 10:46

RoyalBlue
Green
Elm Park Kid I does depress me sometimes when fans argue for their own exploitation.

+1, this never fails to surprise and :| me.

Purely as an industry football is pretty abhorrent, the people running it (from the local FA all the way up to FIFA) equally so.

I've been very critical of owners and business management in the past but I really don't think that the club under the Dais has been exploiting us at all. Just look at the initiatives that they've introduced and paid for out of their own pockets.

Reduced income will lead to reduced money available for players wages and transfer fees. Football will continue, players wages may drop but I suspect our club's position in the football pyramid will drop too. And if the Dais take the view we're an ungrateful bunch of barstewards and/or get fed up of pumping so much of their money in, our club may not exist at all.

Wasn't aiming this at the current lot.

Just making the point that the game is now reliant on multimillionaire foreigners to pump money in - I don't think that's healthy. It's led to inflation of wages and ticket prices. The FA on the other hand don't seem to give a shit.

Obviously Reading Football Club PLC, in order to compete, also need such a cash injection - and yes fair play I guess to the current crop of far Eastern multi millionaires who fancy a bit of fantasy football. Lets hope they don't get bored of it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2020 12:05

Green
RoyalBlue
Green +1, this never fails to surprise and :| me.

Just making the point that the game is now reliant on multimillionaire foreigners to pump money in - I don't think that's healthy. It's led to inflation of wages and ticket prices. The FA on the other hand don't seem to give a shit.

Obviously Reading Football Club PLC, in order to compete, also need such a cash injection - and yes fair play I guess to the current crop of far Eastern multi millionaires who fancy a bit of fantasy football. Lets hope they don't get bored of it.

Is it better or worse than the previous situation where clubs were funded by a local businessman who had made a bit of cash and fancied upping his profile ? Equally vulnerable to the guy getting fed up, or nicked for defrauding the revenue, dying or running out of cash. There are extra zeros now but the owners are billionaires not millionaires.
Has football EVER been a viable business ?

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 11 May 2020 12:35

Nameless
Green
RoyalBlue

Is it better or worse than the previous situation where clubs were funded by a local businessman who had made a bit of cash and fancied upping his profile ? Equally vulnerable to the guy getting fed up, or nicked for defrauding the revenue, dying or running out of cash. There are extra zeros now but the owners are billionaires not millionaires.

Reading FC has still got the same Company Registration Number it had when it set up as a limited co in 1897. Doubt whether too many other Reading businesses set up in 1897 can say that.

Fairer to say, perhaps, has football EVER been a profitable business?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 May 2020 13:08

Nameless
Forbury Lion Perhaps they will consider giving ST holders free access to the iFollow online service to watch the home games from home? (although if they gave everyone access, that would mean we're paying for something that is free anyway)

At the very least, they need something in place for next season as it's a financial risk for fans effectively buy 23 match day tickets in advance (admittedly at a discount) when the games may not actually take place either because the season starts behind closed doors or we face a second lockdown (particularly if this turns into a seasonal illness) whilst waiting for a cure/vaccine. I personally will not renew right now in these uncertain times.

How may ST holders do we have? - If they have to implement social distancing we may see only ST holders permitted into the ground sat 4 seats/3 rows apart of something with no spare tickets therefore available for other fans.

Obvious way to change ST is rather than take all the money upfront the money only gets taken as each game gets played, so you effectively sell 23 separate match tickets.
Not foolproof and not gre at for the club’s cash flow but might persuade more people to sign up. I agree I would be reluctant to commit to a full season currently
If they do away with season tickets and just call it a bundle sale of our next 23 home league games open to fans, that'll guarantee you get your 23 games - just not necessarily in the same season.

Cash up front/commitment from fans is what the clubs want - It's money in the bank they can spend, it's also an assurance to caterers/vendors and sponsors that there will be an almost guaranteed minimum attendance of x number of season ticket holders at each game.

I will not commit to a new season currently, there's just too much uncertainty.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 May 2020 13:11

Nameless
Green
RoyalBlue

I think the extra zero's probably help.

Someone once said if you owe the bank £1,000 and can't repay it then it's your problem and the bank come after you but, if you owe the bank £1m and can not repay it then the bank will bend over backwards to try and help you out of the mess so you can repay it.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 May 2020 08:26

Old Man Andrews Anyone asking for a refund should be immediately banned by the club. None of this is their fault and they owe you nothing.

Came into this thread specifically to say this. Thankfully it's already been said, although a pity it's taken till page 2.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 May 2020 11:24

Many will be in financial hardship themselves at the moment. Is it right that they continue to fill the pockets of millionaire players, while going short themselves?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 13 May 2020 11:53

Green Many will be in financial hardship themselves at the moment. Is it right that they continue to fill the pockets of millionaire players, while going short themselves?

Depends if they still want a club to support after this is over

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 May 2020 12:42

Notts Royal
Green Many will be in financial hardship themselves at the moment. Is it right that they continue to fill the pockets of millionaire players, while going short themselves?

If someone has a choice between lets say a football club or being able to feed their kids or pay the rent - it would be a very strange person to pick keeping the football club.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 May 2020 21:55

Notts Royal

Professional football clubs would be pretty low on the list of things to save for me.

Maybe not the absolute bottom but certainly there or thereabouts.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 May 2020 21:55

Stranded
Notts Royal

If someone has a choice between lets say a football club or being able to feed their kids or pay the rent - it would be a very strange person to pick keeping the football club.

Rare agreed with Stranded there.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 May 2020 22:18

Green
Stranded
Notts Royal

“Rare?” He’s one of the more erudite posters on here imo.
This virus needs to be a wake up call for clubs like Reading. We need to start living within our means.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 May 2020 07:47

Green
Stranded
Notts Royal

Really don't think a person getting about £100 back is going to make much difference to them, certainly won't pay their rent.

Melodramatic tosh.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 May 2020 07:49

Old Man Andrews
Green
Stranded

Really don't think a person getting about £100 back is going to make much difference to them, certainly won't pay their rent.

Melodramatic tosh.

For someone like you maybe not but, I really think you underestimate the financial situation some people are either already in or may soon be in. Yes £100 may not cover rent but could cover a week or two's food if used smartly.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 May 2020 08:01

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Green Rare agreed with Stranded there.

Melodramatic tosh.

For someone like you maybe not but, I really think you underestimate the financial situation some people are either already in or may soon be in. Yes £100 may not cover rent but could cover a week or two's food if used smartly.

We aren't at that stage yet are we? The government's furlough scheme is in place until September and some are now returning to work too. I wouldn't be against the club offering a £100 discount to all adult season ticket holders for when we can attend matches again.

The club cannot be blamed for this crisis, it will hit them and all the other clubs in the same way and I am sure a few Football League clubs might even go under because of the current crisis. I would like to see all the Premier League clubs contribute a set amount (based on the particular clubs richness) to a Football League crisis fund that will help the smaller, struggling clubs in this time of need. The rich should be helping the poor at this time in football, they should want to. A club like Manchester City need to remember that 20 years ago they were in League 1, they were struggling.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 May 2020 08:39

Not saying that we are there yet but forecasts suggest that unemployment levels may double or even triple over the next quarter or two - so even a furloughed worker should be looking after their pennies at the moment as there is no guarantee that in the long run they will have a job to head back to.

This is all completely hypothetical of course and a lot of what options the football club offer will depend on if they play again. Latest is the Championship may well start on 6th June all being well - so would expect clubs to offer ST Holders free access to live video of all games and see what happens after that.

But I stand by the view that the vast majority of people where money is tight were offered 100 quid back, they would and should take it - as if it gets to that stage football will be naturally unimportant.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 14 May 2020 13:50

Zip
Green
Stranded

I guess erudition is in the eye of the beholder there, Zip.

(I jest, he's a good poster of course)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 May 2020 14:14

Green
Zip
Green Rare agreed with Stranded there.

Stop it, you're making me feel dirty.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 May 2020 14:35

Stranded
Green
Zip

Stop it, you're making me feel dirty.

It’s Green’s way. He’s a mucky pup.

121 posts