We will iFollow the Reading on laptop and TV

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: We will iFollow the Reading on laptop and TV

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2021 13:46

RoyalBlue
muirinho
RoyalBlue
Given that tomorrow is 1st July, it would be nice if the club provided supporters with a little more information. At present the only news of this seems to have come via an email from iFollow/EFL!

So many good things being done at the club but at present communication with supporters is still pretty poor.

Well in fairness, there's not a lot happening right now for us to watch! If I were them, I'd launch with free streaming of preseason games

That's quite a good idea. However, regardless of that, they seem to have allowed themselves to have got caught on the hop by the iFollow/EFL email and, for many (if they hadn't seen the notes from STAR) that is the first they've heard about the changes coming to the the website and streaming. That's not a demonstration of good marketing communications.

Whilst the cat is already scampering away from the bag and the stable door is swinging on its hinges, it might still be a good idea for them to issue an update of some sort to supporters, even if it's along the lines of 'you've heard from iFollow,.... the club is really excited about its new website and streaming services and we are confident supporters will like it too. We will be doing an official launch on ****'.

It's been on the website....
quite possible their previous contract prohibited promotion of alternatives during the duration of the contract ?

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 01 Jul 2021 16:23

Anyone else get notice of a charge from EFL only to have it refunded and then a "sorry to see you go" email? :?:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jul 2021 09:48

tidus_mi2 I hope there's a good subscription offer to watch games live if you can't be at the match. £10 per match was really unacceptable pricing imo but EFL doing things terribly doesn't surprise me at this point.

I really struggled with this comment throughout the season. £10 to watch your beloved Reading FC play was incredible value.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 02 Jul 2021 11:33

paultheroyal
tidus_mi2 I hope there's a good subscription offer to watch games live if you can't be at the match. £10 per match was really unacceptable pricing imo but EFL doing things terribly doesn't surprise me at this point.

I really struggled with this comment throughout the season. £10 to watch your beloved Reading FC play was incredible value.

I guess we all place different values on different aspects of the game.

The football in itself is not a big draw for some, it's the day out. And lets face it - not every game is a classic footballing occasion at this level.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jul 2021 11:37

paultheroyal

You get a day pass on NowTV for skysports, so multiple matches, multiple sports, multiple channels, for £9.95

You get to watch one match for £10 on iFollow.

It's poor value for what is already out there, add to that you obviously have the option for monthly and annual subscriptions for NowTV so that becomes even greater value.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2021 11:42

tidus_mi2
paultheroyal

You get a day pass on NowTV for skysports, so multiple matches, multiple sports, multiple channels, for £9.95

It's poor value for what is already out there, add to that you obviously have the option for monthly and annual subscriptions for NowTV so that becomes even greater value.

Are you really comparing one of the UKs biggest companies with a streaming service made for EFL clubs?

Of course a massive company like Sky is going to be able to offer economies of scale in this situation.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 Jul 2021 11:58

£10 is probably the level where the careful balance between 'Total revenue from pass sales' and 'Money lost from people not attending games' is reached

A Reading game is worth more to Reading fans than watching some random game on Now TV.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Jul 2021 12:01

Hendo
tidus_mi2
paultheroyal

Are you really comparing one of the UKs biggest companies with a streaming service made for EFL clubs?

Of course a massive company like Sky is going to be able to offer economies of scale in this situation.

The other thing is that the iFollow money was going to the club (mostly) whereas the amount of money filtering down to the club from NowTV or the like would probably be minimal

Different strokes for different folks, but for me £10 was pretty reasonable - and gave me access to games I wouldn't see otherwise.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jul 2021 14:27

Hendo
tidus_mi2
paultheroyal

Of course I am because you don't compete with a better product by charging more for your own.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jul 2021 16:27

tidus_mi2
Hendo
tidus_mi2 You get a day pass on NowTV for skysports, so multiple matches, multiple sports, multiple channels, for £9.95

Of course I am because you don't compete with a better product by charging more for your own.

You do if it's a different product that people can't get elsewhere at a time when they want it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2021 19:21

Green
paultheroyal

I guess we all place different values on different aspects of the game.

The football in itself is not a big draw for some, it's the day out. And lets face it - not every game is a classic footballing occasion at this level.

I think they should probably think about a different excuse to meet and drink with friends if watching the football isn't a draw... because there are plenty that don't cost £16+ a go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jul 2021 19:22

Hendo
tidus_mi2
paultheroyal

And all that is basically the match, which will only be occasionally be available, and a bunch of stuff I didn't want in the first place.

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 07 Aug 2021 08:28

Anyone found where on the club website you can pay for a season ticket to watch games on Royals TV (for those of us abroad)?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 07 Aug 2021 11:40

lightning strikes Anyone found where on the club website you can pay for a season ticket to watch games on Royals TV (for those of us abroad)?

Click Sign in at top right corner of home page. takes you to either sign in or register. I assume if you register you can pay for Royals TV, Give it a try and hope you are successful , Happy watching.

SeniorStrikes

by SeniorStrikes » 07 Aug 2021 12:30

Is it even possible to pay to stream away games now? Can't see anything other than audio options on the website.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Aug 2021 12:35

SeniorStrikes Is it even possible to pay to stream away games now? Can't see anything other than audio options on the website.

Overseas fans only. An attempt to encourage fans to attend matches.

SeniorStrikes

by SeniorStrikes » 07 Aug 2021 12:39

royalp-we
SeniorStrikes Is it even possible to pay to stream away games now? Can't see anything other than audio options on the website.

Overseas fans only. An attempt to encourage fans to attend matches.

Get that for the home games, but would be nice to away matches catered for as they're naturally more of a challenge to attend. Hey ho - thanks for confirming.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 07 Aug 2021 13:29

I believe that mid-week matches will be shown live on Royals TV, in the UK, except when they have been rearranged from a Saturday. No cup games will be shown. The lack of Saturdays matches is to do with the EFL's ban on 3 o.clock Saturdays matches being shown on TV. As Royal-we says it is to encourage fans to attend those matches.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 08 Aug 2021 13:52

Anybody trying to watch the full match highlights on the new Royals.tv app? The commentaries for both clubs are playing simultaneously and there seems to be no way to choose which one, or turn it off completely.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Aug 2021 14:46

Did anybody else who listened to the audio version got irritated by the interruptions to the BBC Berks prematch and postmatch programmes? I will in future listen to those parts on the BBC Website instead. Unfortunately I will still have to endure the ad breaks at half time, unless I go and make a cup of tea, which will be a better idea.