Should Reading drop the Royals nickname ?

Should Reading FC adopt a new nickname

Poll ended at 30 Jun 2021 19:21
Keep The Royals I love the Royal family
30%
Keep the Royals but I wish the grifters would bugger off
30%
New name and I am lukewarm about the royal family
13%
Return to an old name like the kennetsiders :?:
27%
I have no opinion (ian)
No votes

Total votes: 30
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Should Reading drop the Royals nickname ?

by muirinho » 28 Jun 2021 14:18

Mid Sussex Royal
fartdad With the controversy in the news regarding the royal family and the general unpopularity of the royals among the population it would be beneficial to adopt a new nickname or return to a former one. I would rather not want my team to be associated with pedophiles and grifters, I say this as someone who literally bleeds blue CMONURZZZZZZZZ!

i don't think there is particular unpopularity against the royal family at the moment or at least not against the ones that matter like the queen.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the Queen dies. Surge of enthusiasm for Charles? Indifference? Republican protests?

However, even if the Royal family disappeared in the morning, that really doesn't have any bearing on the nickname of the club, as it then would be associated with the history of the royals. Just like France still has lots of stuff that relates back to their royal family * despite having got rid of the expense of actually having one over 200 years ago.

* (there are more than three times as many visitors each year to Versailles as to all the UK Royal Estates combined)

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 28 Jun 2021 20:51

Once dear mother passes on the next realm I feel with the aging population of royal obsessed folks joining her there will be more interest in Harry and Meghan than in the royal family. Royals will probably only stay popular with BNP and the like. I guess it’s begging the question are fellow mad stadders ok being associated with that? :? Food for thought

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Jun 2021 22:00

Was the chant “come on you biscuits” back in the day?!

I’ve only witnessed The Royals, but The Biscuitmen actually relates to something relevant to us, so would be up for the change

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 29 Jun 2021 09:32

It’s because we are the biggest town in the Royal county of Berkshire. Nothing to do with the Royal family. Windsor castle will always be there, why are Kansas City Royals baseball team called Royals? No reason it’s just a name.
As for biscuits are you serious? They have nothing to do with Reading anymore I bet most kids have never heard of them. So unless we become a republic keep the Royals it would be like Cardiff changing from blue to red. It’s better than Rzz or the hoops like some fake club in west London.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 29 Jun 2021 10:04

I would love us to link back to tradition and be the biscuit men again.

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 29 Jun 2021 11:58

PATRIQT I would love us to link back to tradition and be the biscuit men again.

I agree

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 29 Jun 2021 12:52

Notts Royal Was the chant “come on you biscuits” back in the day?!

I’ve only witnessed The Royals, but The Biscuitmen actually relates to something relevant to us, so would be up for the change

I don't remember any chant relating to "The Biscuits" or "Biscuitmen". Royals is used more than the old nickname was ever used. The only reference I remember was a picture of a man carrying a tray of biscuits in the top left(?) corner of the programme cover and a lapel badge with the same picture. I say as a proud Biscuitman and Royal keep The Royals. Does any one remember if The Royalists was suggested, but was vetoed by someone as that was (and is?) the nickname for Windsor & Eton FC and shortened it to The Royals, as Reading is the County Town of the only Royal County? Having thought about this subject a bit I think that was the case. If that was what happened I think it was the right call, as The Royals is more "catchy" than Royalists.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 29 Jun 2021 13:09

Sutekh Yep, dump it and return the the Biscuitmen. Always rather be known for something that was a Reading “industry” than some irritating nebulous name that just brings up a load of gossip pages and other unrelated claptrap when you try and search on it. Could replace the crown on the badge then with a tin of Huntley and Palmers milk and honey biscuits.

Oh and if you were wondering H&P are active again

https://www.huntleyandpalmers.com/about-us/

Where are their products made now?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 29 Jun 2021 20:39

St Pauli
Sutekh Yep, dump it and return the the Biscuitmen. Always rather be known for something that was a Reading “industry” than some irritating nebulous name that just brings up a load of gossip pages and other unrelated claptrap when you try and search on it. Could replace the crown on the badge then with a tin of Huntley and Palmers milk and honey biscuits.

Sure as hell not Reading.

Mortimer?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 29 Jun 2021 21:30

Green
St Pauli

Sure as hell not Reading.

Mortimer?

As long as it’s the UK otherwise it’s an :arrow: from me

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2021 13:24

St Pauli

https://www.huntleyandpalmers.com/shop/

Company, I think, is now based in Walsall.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jul 2021 17:59

I think there's about as much chance of us dropping the Royals and going back to the Biscuitmen as there is of DD becoming manager.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Jul 2021 11:31

Sutekh
St Pauli

https://www.huntleyandpalmers.com/shop/

Company, I think, is now based in Walsall.

I have seen H and P biscuits for sale in Wilkinson

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 Jul 2021 11:10

Snowflake Royal I think there's about as much chance of us dropping the Royals and going back to the Biscuitmen as there is of DD becoming manager.

I am a qualified UEFA level coach, so don't count your turkeys too soon Ian

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Jul 2021 12:14

The leasers

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Jul 2021 12:15

Or should that be The leasees?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Jul 2021 19:40

Snowflake Royal I think there's about as much chance of us dropping the Royals and going back to the Biscuitmen as there is of DD becoming manager.

I don't see why we couldn't resurrect it - are hats still made in Luton? Are there loads of Pilgrims in Plymouth? Toffees made in Everton??

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2021 23:24

Mid Sussex Royal

I don't see why we couldn't resurrect it - are hats still made in Luton? Are there loads of Pilgrims in Plymouth? Toffees made in Everton??

Bugger all people would have any interest

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Jul 2021 09:54

Mid Sussex Royal

But none of those teams have changed their nickname and Everton's nickname reflects a type of mint originally made in and named after the area.

If we were still called the Biscuitmen, I'd see no reason to change the name either.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2021 09:56

From Despair To Where?
Mid Sussex Royal

But none of those teams have changed their nickname and Everton's nickname reflects a type of mint originally made in and named after the area.

If we were still called the Biscuitmen, I'd see no reason to change the name either.

Yep.