Stadium renaming.

127 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Stadium renaming.

by windermereROYAL » 12 Jul 2021 11:04

Seen a few stories doing the rounds yesterday and today regarding the naming rights to the stadium, the rumour is that the word Madejski has been removed and replaced with select car leasing or an abbreviation of it.
Is this the time for JMs (god) legacy to be removed from our club?
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 12 Jul 2021 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Stadium renaming.

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2021 12:09

Everyone will still just call it the Madejski anyway and if selling the naming rights puts a dent in our seasonal losses then so be it.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Jul 2021 12:43

From Despair To Where? Everyone will still just call it the Madejski anyway and if selling the naming rights puts a dent in our seasonal losses then so be it.

Really? If the stadium is renamed the commentators, summarisers, reports of the game, will then refer to it as the SCL or even a fuller name rather than the initials. Away fans will then start calling it that, then home fans eventually after several years.

I've no real affinity with the stadium name personally as the Madejski era is long gone but the new name would soon be added to the lexicon, as it were, in my view.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jul 2021 13:16

The Eric Obinna-Chukwunyelu Arena

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2021 13:25

genome The Eric Obinna-Chukwunyelu Arena

You have Eric Obinna-Chukwunyelu on the brain!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2021 13:26

Norfolk Royal
From Despair To Where? Everyone will still just call it the Madejski anyway and if selling the naming rights puts a dent in our seasonal losses then so be it.

Really? If the stadium is renamed the commentators, summarisers, reports of the game, will then refer to it as the SCL or even a fuller name rather than the initials. Away fans will then start calling it that, then home fans eventually after several years.

I've no real affinity with the stadium name personally as the Madejski era is long gone but the new name would soon be added to the lexicon, as it were, in my view.

Everyone as in the fans. Who gives a fcuk what commentators call it? I don't know a single person who called Derby's stadium the iPro Stadium. Birmingham's still play at St Andrews. I still call Stoke's the Britannia and everybody knows what I mean.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 12 Jul 2021 13:32, edited 2 times in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jul 2021 13:26

NathStPaul

I think his name is on the new shirt somewhere.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 12 Jul 2021 13:31

Norfolk Royal

+1, people move on and times change.

Would rather it was named after a previous chairman than a sponsor mind you, but that's progress in football for you.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jul 2021 13:32

NathStPaul

Who doesn't?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 12 Jul 2021 13:32

From Despair To Where?
Norfolk Royal

Everyone as in the fans. Who gives a fcuk what commentators call it? Everyone I know still calls Derby's stadium Pride Park, Birmingham's St Andrews. I still call Stoke's the Britannia and everybody knows what I mean.

"Everyone I know" is mostly people in your demographic right?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2021 13:38

I don't just associate with white 50something Reading supporters. Half my neighbours are season ticket holders at different clubs ages ranging from 12 to 80.

I've got no issue with selling the naming rights, although I would prefer if "Madejski" remained part of the name in some form. Would seem a bit churlish to airbrush him completely from the ground in our 150th year.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 12 Jul 2021 13:45, edited 5 times in total.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Jul 2021 13:41

Green
Norfolk Royal

+1, people move on and times change.

Would rather it was named after a previous chairman than a sponsor mind you, but that's progress in football for you.

Would be nice if they named a stand after JM, and particularly if they don't wait till he's dead to do it. I think after all he's done for the club he deserves a stagger on to the pitch to cut the ribbon and wave at the fans.

But keeping the stadium the Mad Stad in the current environment would be like forgoing shirt sponsorship to use the logo of Launchpad or some similar charity. Nice idea, but not going to happen.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jul 2021 13:42

Yeah, I think renaming the East Stand would be a nice touch if they have sold the naming rights.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2021 13:45

From Despair To Where?
Norfolk Royal

Everyone as in the fans. Who gives a fcuk what commentators call it? I don't know a single person who called Derby's stadium the iPro Stadium. Birmingham's still play at St Andrews. I still call Stoke's the Britannia and everybody knows what I mean.

+1

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 12 Jul 2021 14:43

When I jump in a cab from Reading Station to a home game I always say to the driver "the real theatre of dreams please". Only once did we get in and not have to explain that we actually wanted to go to the Mad Stad lol. Can't wait to ask to be taken to the Select Car Superbowl :roll:

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 12 Jul 2021 15:36

If we must include a reference to SJM, surely it makes more sense to rename the Hotel Penthouse Suite after him...

The Sir John Madejski Penthouse.

The club has done as much for him as he has done for the club, so not a big fan of naming a stand after him.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 12 Jul 2021 15:36

Elm Park mattered to me. Madejski Stadium doesn't. To me it's just "the football ground", so who cares. We need the money more than some snowflakes need pleasing.

I would add though that we now need to make the main stand the Sir John Madejski stand. And I still hope to see a statue of Sir John and Sir Steve outside the ground too. Fans could raise a lot of money towards that. Maybe STAR can look at it.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Jul 2021 18:05

Naming a stand after Madejski seems almost insulting. It would be fine if it wasn't supposed to replace the stadium, but otherwise it's a bit like taking away his knighthood and giving him a CBE to make up for it. And surely the West Stand makes more sense than the East?

Think I fall in with FDTW - established names tend to outlast new sponsorship agreements, with the possible exception of Man City who had a terrible name beforehand anyway. Derby's deal lapsed in 2016 and Birmingham have kept "St Andrews" in the name.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 Jul 2021 20:22

Agree with all the above, I mean what’s QPRs ground called? It’s still Loftus Rd to me. A statue of SJM is a must, he has done more than enough to warrant one.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 12 Jul 2021 21:42

I notice that a new company was registered at Companies House called Select Car Leasing Stadium Limited on 16 June. Looking more into the Select Car Leasing group shows it isn’t that big a company so wonder where the money is coming from for the shirt sponsorship and naming rights?

127 posts