Stadium renaming.

127 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Stadium renaming.

by Hendo » 15 Jul 2021 10:56

RoyalBlue
St Pauli The name Madejski Stadium should be kept.

The selling of everything is one of the things that is shit about modern football.

I'm aware that's the direction of things in football, but like all consumer industries it's like that because the consumers (fans) put up with it.

Following that logic, maybe we should've called it New Elm Park.

If we want to compete in professional football we need to have the income to do so. It was absolutely crazy that we were getting absolutely nothing for the commercial naming rights of the stadium. I'm sure if it could've been done for reasonable financial reward the club would have happily gone for the '*one word brand name* Madejski Stadium'

I'm pretty sure that unless they have very good sources of alternative income, virtually every club in the football pyramid would sell the naming rights for their stadium/ground if the opportunity was there. The same would also apply to most other sports.

Even amateur sports/clubs face very considerable everyday running costs that are difficult to cover through membership and admission fees alone.

There are probably only a couple of grounds in the country where naming rights wouldn't be for sale. Off the top of my head I think these would be:

Lords
Wembley - even if it is sponsored by EE, it'll never change from being called Wembley
Wimbledon
Twickenham

Everything else is probably fair game if the price is right.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 15 Jul 2021 11:04

RoyalBlue

The selling of everything is one of the things that is shit about modern football.

I'm aware that's the direction of things in football, but like all consumer industries it's like that because the consumers (fans) put up with it.

If we want to compete in professional football we need to have the income to do so. It was absolutely crazy that we were getting absolutely nothing for the commercial naming rights of the stadium. I'm sure if it could've been done for reasonable financial reward the club would have happily gone for the '*one word brand name* Madejski Stadium'

I'm pretty sure that unless they have very good sources of alternative income, virtually every club in the football pyramid would sell the naming rights for their stadium/ground if the opportunity was there. The same would also apply to most other sports.

Even amateur sports/clubs face very considerable everyday running costs that are difficult to cover through membership and admission fees alone.

I'd say the Madejski naming is slightly different, in that he was a well known, local philanthropist who gave money to the club and gave the ground he financed its name. A philanthropic individual's name is different to a business sponsor, in the same way renaming the Kendrick school the Burger King school for girls is different to naming it Kendrick School.

In any case, I understand the financial case (thanks for explaining it though) my point is that this is part of what is wrong with professional football. If it really is all about money then let's start selling pitch space to advertisers, charge fans to take a shit etc. Sell positions in the squad to the highest bidder of a 90th minute cameo etc.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jul 2021 11:22

St Pauli
RoyalBlue

I'd say the Madejski naming is slightly different, in that he was a well known, local philanthropist who gave money to the club and gave the ground he financed its name. A philanthropic individual's name is different to a business sponsor, in the same way renaming the Kendrick school the Burger King school for girls is different to naming it Kendrick School.

In any case, I understand the financial case (thanks for explaining it though) my point is that this is part of what is wrong with professional football. If it really is all about money then let's start selling pitch space to advertisers, charge fans to take a shit etc. Sell positions in the squad to the highest bidder of a 90th minute cameo etc.

Already happening in Ice Hockey

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Jul 2021 11:23

Hendo
St Pauli
RoyalBlue

Already happening in Ice Hockey

Poor form to have Dicks all over the ice.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2021 11:39

St Pauli
RoyalBlue

Yep.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 15 Jul 2021 12:40

They'll be allowing people to sponsor a player's kit next [Reminiscent mode off]

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 15 Jul 2021 18:30

St Pauli The name Madejski Stadium should be kept. The selling of everything is one of the things that is shit about modern football.

What would be more shit is us going into administration.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 15 Jul 2021 18:50

PATRIQT
St Pauli The name Madejski Stadium should be kept. The selling of everything is one of the things that is shit about modern football.

I think you're missing the point somewhat, but how much does a stadium rename actually bring in? Compared to the overall finances of the club it's probably not a massive number.

Add to that the spectre of administration.

Didn't that happen to Pompey?

And where are they now? League 1. *Partridge gif*

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jul 2021 18:55

Ftr, I don’t think Reading are in any danger of going into administration. As has been said 100 times, the owners have plenty of money, they just can’t spend it due to FFP.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Jul 2021 19:53

St Pauli
PATRIQT

I think you're missing the point somewhat, but how much does a stadium rename actually bring in? Compared to the overall finances of the club it's probably not a massive number.

agree

How much does this actually bring in? Like the shirt sponsors a few hundred £k? chicken feed.

....but as already posted up....identity, tradition and sentiment have nothing to add to the modern ££££game.

Enjoy JCB Stadium or whatever it’ll be for a couple or three years....next up, maybe the Tampax Tribute Ground?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 15 Jul 2021 21:14

The Ocado Bowl?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Jul 2021 21:24

The A B Walker Funeral Funhouse?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 Jul 2021 11:13

I like the idea of naming stands after local things

The Reading Elvis Stand
Cemetery Junction End
The West is best stand

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 16 Jul 2021 11:13

St Pauli
PATRIQT

It’s a good point. It can’t be a real disadvantage not to rename the grounds, otherwise why wouldn’t clubs like Forest, Norwich & West Brom have taken advantage. Ok, they’re not comparable to us in the sense that the latter 2 are both well-run clubs with larger fan bases. But would be interested to know how much it brings in.

Not a fan of stadium name changes, but trying to be open minded. And I like the fact we’ve gone for a local business who support the club. And it’s on a longer lease so we wont have the same faffing about that happens at Hull, Bolton & others

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2021 11:19

The problem with stadium name changes is, they're faceless corporate bullshit with no club identity in a desperate attempt to claw in a few quid to knock a single percent off the enormous loss clubs operate at yearly to keep them going another 3 weeks, rather than anyone dealing with the underlying issue of insane football finance.

Ours is at least relatively innocuous as these things go, with a local company with actual fans running it.

Let's hope we don't manage to claw in just enough money to end the embargo and then go spunk £10m on more players whilst we're still losing money hand over fist.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 Jul 2021 13:35

Simmops I like the idea of naming stands after local things

The Reading Elvis Stand
Cemetery Junction End
The West is best stand

East stand being named the Sir John Madejski stand

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 Jul 2021 13:36

The genie is out the bottle whatever fans want, can’t fight it sadly

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jul 2021 14:38

Hendo
SouthDownsRoyal A lot depends on the new name. You want a quick, snappy name

the bet365, the Reebok, the Kcom, etc

The select car leasing area or whatever it will be won’t catch on so either shortened to, no idea what or just call in the madstad, the madejski etc

Think it'll be shortened to The SCL Stadium, which is not too bad, imo.

The Select Stadium sounds better

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 Jul 2021 14:59

All sounds very American to me

At least it is not as awful as:

Smoothie King Center
KFC Yum! Center
Tony Macaroni Arena
Talking Stick Resort Arena
Scotiabank Saddledome
Mend-A-Hose Jungle
Dr. Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium
Hunky Dorys Park
The Dripping Pan

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 16 Jul 2021 15:20

So how much do people think this stadium renaming is worth per year?

Not very much at all, is my guess.

127 posts