Standing

SpaghettiHoop

Standing

by SpaghettiHoop » 29 Aug 2021 16:33

"Plans to lift the ban on standing in the English Premier League and Championship are set to be announced by the government, the BBC has learned." BBC website.

What are the chances this season?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Standing

by Jagermesiter1871 » 29 Aug 2021 16:38

7?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2021 18:36

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 30 Aug 2021 11:50

Unless it’s commercially viable then why would the club bother. Barely get 50% of the stadium capacity filled as it is.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 30 Aug 2021 12:12

RG30 Unless it’s commercially viable then why would the club bother. Barely get 50% of the stadium capacity filled as it is.

Because a % of the fan base want it. And because we've shown support for it in the past. Y26 into C1871 would be the perfect location for it now.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Aug 2021 13:37

Moving C1871 to it's current location is most likely part of the plan. As it's an enclosed area. Which can be totally rail seated. Won't this season whatever. As will take some weeks to undertake the work.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2021 14:00

Lower West Moving C1871 to it's current location is most likely part of the plan. As it's an enclosed area. Which can be totally rail seated. Won't this season whatever. As will take some weeks to undertake the work.

I think it would be excellent if we did it but from a financial point of view would it make sense ?
The cost would be excluded from Sustainability calculations so perhaps Mr Yongge would view it as worthwhile spending in the same way he invested in the training ground.
It would certainly make him popular with the fans....

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Aug 2021 10:10

Lower West Moving C1871 to it's current location is most likely part of the plan. As it's an enclosed area. Which can be totally rail seated. Won't this season whatever. As will take some weeks to undertake the work.

But that would be a massive mistake. Fans have moved there to sing their hearts out and create atmosphere. You will have fans now move there to just stand.

If they are going to create rail seating its best to put it in north west stand and then you have something going on of sorts across all areas of the stadium.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Aug 2021 10:20

There are various structural issues at the MadStad that mean that there's no economic argument for this - constraints like the size of concourses and the exit methods mean that there's no way thi could be used to increase capacity. Having said that, there are no economic arguments for increasing capacity in stadium that isn't selling out, except perhaps the suggestion that it would attract an extra crowd who currentky don't attend.

But, as I understand it, standing is informally "tolerated" in Club1871 (But I stand to be corrected on that, though - geddit?? ;-) )

So any conversion to rail seating would be done to please the current fanbase, but in the current environment I can't see that happening mid-season. The club had always wanted rail-seating, but were always looking to combine it with expansion or other structural work being done, so if they do it (and it's a big "if") they'd probably do it in a summer break - there's just no urgency when people can (informally) stand already.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Aug 2021 10:25

paultheroyal

But that would be a massive mistake. Fans have moved there to sing their hearts out and create atmosphere. You will have fans now move there to just stand.

If they are going to create rail seating its best to put it in north west stand and then you have something going on of sorts across all areas of the stadium.

I'm old-fashioned about this and I know I'm in the minority, but I really want to see the front 8-10 rows along the North, East and South stands converted to rail seating - like an old stye paddock à la Archibald Leitch. It couldn't go all the way back to the concourse level so as not to block disabled area sightlines, but just think of a wall of noise all around the pitch - with those who sit (and are typically quieter) behind them benefiting from the atmosphere in front of them.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Aug 2021 11:28

paultheroyal

So you put in an area that is probably unlikely to have many people who want to stand in order to stop people moving to an area which has virtually no available space anyway because it is all season ticket ?
Not sure there is any logic at all here ...

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Aug 2021 15:28

Nameless
paultheroyal

So you put in an area that is probably unlikely to have many people who want to stand in order to stop people moving to an area which has virtually no available space anyway because it is all season ticket ?
Not sure there is any logic at all here ...

If they want to stand they can go and stand in that area. Coupled with a new atmosphere created you are pretty much having different experiences around the ground. How on earth are you struggling with that logic?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2021 12:35

paultheroyal

Most of the fans in 1871 stand.

There's a big correlation between standing and singing.

It's exactly the right place to put rail. Not the sleepy northwest

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Sep 2021 13:01

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

So standing in the northwest which is sleepy will get the atmosphere going for those who want to stand - perfect - we agreed. Cheers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2021 13:05

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

So standing in the northwest which is sleepy will get the atmosphere going for those who want to stand - perfect - we agreed. Cheers.

No. Because few people there want to stand or sing. Or they would already be doing it.

Dur... let's put the standing section where no one wants it and leave the people already standing anyway in a seating section.

oxf*rd me Paul. That's on a par with dd.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Sep 2021 15:59

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal Most of the fans in 1871 stand.

No. Because few people there want to stand or sing. Or they would already be doing it.

Dur... let's put the standing section where no one wants it and leave the people already standing anyway in a seating section.

Do you have to argue every point like the utter bell you are?

You know the point i am making and you can easily accommodate those fans who want to sit down, listen to five live and watch the game including yourself in a similar area. But hey you crack on x

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Sep 2021 16:06

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

You know the point i am making and you can easily accommodate those fans who want to sit down, listen to five live and watch the game including yourself in a similar area. But hey you crack on x

You aren’t making a point that holds water though. The different stands have different demographics and characters. You want to kick people out of a stand with nowhere to move to to accommodate people who already have somewhere to go !

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Sep 2021 16:25

I might be wrong, but I don’t think the South Stand is the right place for any infrastructure change. In the event that we get promoted, we’ll need to offer travelling clubs 10% of the ground’s capacity, which is more than half the South Stand. (We might also have to do so in some FA Cup matches)

Think it makes more sense to put infrastructure for the home fans in the home section, and infrastructure for away fans in the permanent away end.

There might be safety/security concerns around using Y26, so maybe we’ll use a different bit of the East Stand. Not sure trying to establish a standing section in the North West corner would work - suspect there’s a lot of overlap between people who want to stand and people who want to make rude gestures at the away fans and those people just wouldn’t relocate.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 01 Sep 2021 16:34

Pretty sure this came up several years ago, back when the club actually considered fans opinions. From what i recall, the stadium design made it a no go.

on top of that, fans don't exist in the eyes of the club anymore, you are a customer. So what's in it for the club to convert areas to safe standing? Nothing, unless it will attract more people in. But almost all the 'customers' that want to stand will turn up regardless, so its looks a complete non starter to me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2021 18:08

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

Yeah, it's definitely me being the div who started being a Nob.