Attendances

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Attendances

by Notts Royal » 01 Oct 2021 10:57

Hound I think they'll grow. No real surprise people have stayed away with Covid/being on TV/being away on holiday

Few more wins along the lines of Fulham and Boro and people will start coming back. Genuinely have a pretty exciting team at the moment, esp if we can get Joao back in the mix

Why is this not the case at other clubs then? You don’t see their attendances being as affected by the games being on TV.

We used to have a solid 16k as the normal a few years back, now 12k seems to be the average

Is it the match day experience? The years of lower quality? Or lack of cohesion between club & fans?

From the outside, we’ve got some good players to watch & with C1871, you would’ve thought that would’ve attracted larger attendances due to improved atmospheres

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 Oct 2021 11:29

URZZZZZZZZ Part of the issue is there is no tangible Marketing Department at the club since people have left and not been replaced. This may be a knock on effect of the pandemic, but hopefully that will change soon.

I think there are many reasons why fans don't go and perhaps Marketing or lack of it plays a part but I feel more that there is a disconnection between the club and fans that possibly plays a bigger part.

I know (supposedly) people don't read newspapers anymore but local papers have always played a part in keeping the club/fans connected and I gather that since the days of long-departed Evening Post there is nothing in the Reading area.

Down this way and still in many other parts of the country there is a local daily paper-it was previously issued here and slightly differently in the Southampton area as an every evening bar Sunday paper but is now a daily issue.

On the football front there are always at least 3 pages covering what is going on at the club with the manager commenting almost every time.
It may well be a chore for him but it does give the impression that the club cares about the fans in what they call their "community" club and injury updates are regular with anticipated return dates for players.
Players often are interviewed as well and even if what they say is trite it is communication with the fans.

They also have official and fans online sites as all clubs have but I feel that the local paper aspect does help the greater closeness between club and fans which in turn increases the likelihood of attendance at "their" club.

BTW I first joined HNA something like 20 years ago to feel nearer the club (living 70 miles or so away) and hear what was going on at our club through those that were closer.
In that respect it has been a waste of time as the club in the Mad Stad era has been reclusive and seemingly fearful of releasing info to fans ,however some of the discussion have been interesting, even if dominated by one or two posters, so it does serve a purpose as a replacement for the "down the pub" chats with fellow fans that we outsiders don't get.

Hopefully as we play a pleasing attacking style (at least while we have Swift and Ejaria) more will return even if we aren't promotion challengers this season.

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 01 Oct 2021 17:25

South Coast Royal
URZZZZZZZZ Part of the issue is there is no tangible Marketing Department at the club since people have left and not been replaced. This may be a knock on effect of the pandemic, but hopefully that will change soon.

I think there are many reasons why fans don't go and perhaps Marketing or lack of it plays a part but I feel more that there is a disconnection between the club and fans that possibly plays a bigger part.

I know (supposedly) people don't read newspapers anymore but local papers have always played a part in keeping the club/fans connected and I gather that since the days of long-departed Evening Post there is nothing in the Reading area.

Down this way and still in many other parts of the country there is a local daily paper-it was previously issued here and slightly differently in the Southampton area as an every evening bar Sunday paper but is now a daily issue.

On the football front there are always at least 3 pages covering what is going on at the club with the manager commenting almost every time.
It may well be a chore for him but it does give the impression that the club cares about the fans in what they call their "community" club and injury updates are regular with anticipated return dates for players.
Players often are interviewed as well and even if what they say is trite it is communication with the fans.

They also have official and fans online sites as all clubs have but I feel that the local paper aspect does help the greater closeness between club and fans which in turn increases the likelihood of attendance at "their" club.

BTW I first joined HNA something like 20 years ago to feel nearer the club (living 70 miles or so away) and hear what was going on at our club through those that were closer.
In that respect it has been a waste of time as the club in the Mad Stad era has been reclusive and seemingly fearful of releasing info to fans ,however some of the discussion have been interesting, even if dominated by one or two posters, so it does serve a purpose as a replacement for the "down the pub" chats with fellow fans that we outsiders don't get.

Hopefully as we play a pleasing attacking style (at least while we have Swift and Ejaria) more will return even if we aren't promotion challengers this season.

Agree with this. The club would say they have a website with loads of content but the truth is its a load of rent a quote tripe from the players - 'we'll pick ourselves up and go again' 'the boys are still learning' :roll:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Oct 2021 17:43

South Coast Royal

Yep very little seems to come out of the club these days. When I look at how empty the ED Stand is I have to question what work is being done in local schools and throughout the county to attract kids and their parents to games. The cost of watching games is incredibly reasonable. Up to the age of 21 a ST averages out at just over a fiver a game or less.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Oct 2021 18:06

I gave up on going to games a few Years ago; I just had enough of it after AZ and then the Thai's. But last season was the first time in Years I thought "I might want to go again" and this season the thought of doing so is getting stronger match by match.

I guess the reason is that this looks like - potentially - the beginning of a new era at the club, with a young, exciting team playing some really good football. Sure, they will lose a load of times more than maybe they should (Derby is a good example) but they are learning their trade and have the potential for being very, very good and bringing a sense of excitement back to the club that has been lacking (IMO) since the last promtion season back to the Premier League.

I just hope my old seat high up in the Upper West is available.......

:wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Oct 2021 18:44

Mr Angry I gave up on going to games a few Years ago; I just had enough of it after AZ and then the Thai's. But last season was the first time in Years I thought "I might want to go again" and this season the thought of doing so is getting stronger match by match.

I guess the reason is that this looks like - potentially - the beginning of a new era at the club, with a young, exciting team playing some really good football. Sure, they will lose a load of times more than maybe they should (Derby is a good example) but they are learning their trade and have the potential for being very, very good and bringing a sense of excitement back to the club that has been lacking (IMO) since the last promtion season back to the Premier League.

I just hope my old seat high up in the Upper West is available.......

:wink:

Welcome back Sir John!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Oct 2021 18:49

Part of the problem is surely that there is just a 'match' not a 'match-day experience'. That's been exacerbated by the ludicrous situation to kick out the very popular Blue Collar Catering outlets leaving just the over-priced, utterly crap offering from Compass.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Oct 2021 19:00

LUX Home to Southampton in the League Cup was 26 000 at EP. 1978?

Iirc Keegan was billed to play, but did not turn up.

Finished 0-0 and we meekly lost the replay.

Was before Keegan's time at Saints, he was at Hamburg then.

Went to both games, agree the game at the Dell we were well beaten but at EP we were the better side and their keeper (Terry Gennoe?) kept them in it

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 03 Oct 2021 11:32

Our home form has been utterly shit or boring for many seasons now, the impact of that is occasional fans don't bother and season ticket holders don't renew. Just looking around where I sit there's a lot of regulars missing this year. If I didn't have a season ticket I think I'd have given up years ago and just done odd away trips.

The best way to fix it is for the team to start winning and be entertaining, the crowds will come if the team are doing well.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Oct 2021 15:41

I've only seen one game live and a couple on the stream this year but they've all been cracking matches. I don't like seeing us lose - but i'd almost prefer watching a 3-3 draw than a boring 1-0 win.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Oct 2021 18:05

THE idea hat other teams don’t appear to have swathes of empty seats for televised games doesn’t align with what I see. I don’t watch much televised football but recently saw a bit of Boro v Blades - loads of empty seats, and Coventry v Fulham - loads of empty seats.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Oct 2021 19:18

And Palace V Leicester, Brighton V Arsenal from the weekend - not loads but a fair few empty seats visible which you would never see pre covid in the prem.

Prices are as high as ever and the money is not around as much as it was.....will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

A lot of clubs are not publishing official attendances atm.....