United Away FAC - Financial Windfall?

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PATRIQT

United Away FAC - Financial Windfall?

by PATRIQT » 14 Jan 2023 15:59

Is it still the case we get half the gate receipts? And ITV TV money also, whatever that is?

This is very handy with our current financial predicament.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: United Away FAC - Financial Windfall?

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2023 17:35

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Jan 2023 17:43

45%, I believe.

76,000 at £46 a ticket, give or take a few concessions makes about £1.5m.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jan 2023 19:23

From Despair To Where? 45%, I believe.

76,000 at £46 a ticket, give or take a few concessions makes about £1.5m.

45% of profit, not takings. So United get to claim £1 million in costs for staging the game…..

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Jan 2023 19:30

So about £1m

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jan 2023 19:39

Tv money is about 150k and we got about 80k for third round win.
So definitely somewhere north of a million in unbudgeted income.
I’m pretty sure we were on target to hit our budget for the season in terms of avoiding the 6 point suspended punishment and the money from this game should make that certain.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Jan 2023 10:37

Judging by the website this morning, I think the club may have seriously underestimated demand for this and will regret not using the loyalty points system. I logged on at 9.58 and was randomly allocated place 1068 in the queue at 10.00am.

With each applicant being entitled to 4 tickets, assuming my place in the queue was not at the very back, it's likely some very loyal fans may end up very disappointed. If they are not going to use the loyalty point system for a game such as this, they may as well scrap it.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Jan 2023 10:41

Schards#2 Judging by the website this morning, I think the club may have seriously underestimated demand for this and will regret not using the loyalty points system. I logged on at 9.58 and was randomly allocated place 1068 in the queue at 10.00am.

With each applicant being entitled to 4 tickets, assuming my place in the queue was not at the very back, it's likely some very loyal fans may end up very disappointed. If they are not going to use the loyalty point system for a game such as this, they may as well scrap it.

sold out in less than 30 mins....

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Jan 2023 11:50

Schards#2 Judging by the website this morning, I think the club may have seriously underestimated demand for this and will regret not using the loyalty points system. I logged on at 9.58 and was randomly allocated place 1068 in the queue at 10.00am.

Agreed
What is the point in it if not used for this?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Jan 2023 11:53

This was quite an interesting snippet on the STAR website recently

STAR met with Paul Collins (PC), RFC Ticket Office manager, on 28 November 2022 to discuss the Loyalty Points system.

STAR last reviewed this in 2014 and achieved an uprating of points awarded for attending away matches. Over the past couple of years concerns have been raised by some supporters that new or younger supporters are disadvantaged by the scheme which works in favour of longer-standing supporters with higher points balances.

The purpose of this meeting was to learn about what the actual pressures were and how flexible the system was if changes were desirable.

The club said that nowadays it was extremely rare that a match was sold out before reaching ‘general sale to member card holders (MCH)’. The away match at Luton in May 2022 was the only recent example recalled.

Club and STAR agreed that giving current season ticket holders (STH) priority was still the right policy and within the STH base then giving priority on a points basis. This does have the effect of relegating member card holders with large points totals below current STH – but the instances where such fans can’t buy are currently very rare. This policy also gives new / younger supporters buying a STH a chance to put themselves higher in the ranking than a supporter who has a large points total but no longer attends matches regularly.

STAR asked if away match attendance only could be used as a priority for buying high demand away match tickets. The ticketing system does not allow for this to be done automatically. Club stressed that, in order to add Loyalty Points to your account, supporters have to buy their away match tickets through RFC Ticket Office.

STAR asked if supporters with a high points balance could buy their ticket and reserve the seat next to them for a family / friend whose points balance would qualify them to buy later in the week. Unfortunately, the system cannot accommodate this without significant manual intervention by the ticket office. The best advice was that if the family member was in the immediate points range below the buyer, then the buyer should contact the ticket office late in their priority day and see if anything could be done.

Cancelling loyalty points that were gained long ago (pre-2011, for instance) would be possible but, of course, contentious. PC advised STAR to look at the Brighton &HA points scheme as an example of a very different approach but one that RFC would not currently endorse. One of its features was giving supporters bonus points for renewing for consecutive seasons.

Club said the loyalty points scheme was useful in preventing away fans from buying tickets in home supporter areas of the SCL.

The overall out-take, however, is that the loyalty scheme is fit for purpose in our current circumstances and that very few fans fail to get a match ticket they want. The public perception of scarcity of high demand tickets does not match the reality. However, it makes sense to be prepared for a successful team creating problems in the future so suggestions such as using the previous season’s away record should be investigated along with other ideas from other clubs.

In terms of a new, loyal Reading supporter it would take them two seasons as a STH and STAR member, and going to about half the away matches to amass about 500 loyalty points at which point they have some priority value – and of course priority over all non STH members with however many points.

https://star-reading.org/news/loyalty-points-review-meeting-nov-2022

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Jan 2023 12:59

An interesting read. As a benefactor of being a long term season ticket holder, I can see how the current situation is deemed unfair to younger supporters. If this is the reason they ignored loyalty points for this game, they would have been prudent to restrict it to two tickets per applicant.

The impression is, however, that the club hasn't given the fair distribution of these tickets any serious thought as they appear to be under the misapprehension that there would not be any demand. It would be more forgivable if this was unprecedented but they could and should have learnt from the Man City QF when they made the same error

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 17 Jan 2023 14:08

It's days like these when you wonder if there's some teeth to the allegations of "tinpot", so frequently levelled at us from rival fans countrywide.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 Jan 2023 16:09

I've never seen any issue of the loyalty points system, they've just really underestimated the demand and had 4 tickets per person on application. I don't think they had it as that for the play off final, I'm sure it was only 1/2 tickets per person. I know it's a different event, but the principle is still the same. They will have left a lot of fans disappointed this time around for sure.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Jan 2023 17:16

What a disgrace. The club should have taken a far bigger allocation and done it on royalty points. Well done Reading FC

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1