18%
Ian Royal
35%

Total votes: 17
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

RFC Sportwashing Scenario - An Official HNA Dilemma Thread

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Feb 2023 17:54

With all the recent talk of sportwashing going on I got to both wondering & pondering over the weekend what I would actually do if RFC got involved in it. It was tricky, on one hand my undying love for all things RFC, but on the other an unpleasant regime using the club to try and create an improved image.

Anyway I thought I would put it to yous lot to see what you would do.

The scenario : Kim Jong-un of North Korea buys RFC. After the initial shock of it all, it becomes clear that the boy Jong-un is serious about throwing money into it and goes about making big signings and puts together what looks like a title challenging team.

The pre season friendlies show that he is serious about pushing for promotion to the Premier League but it's also noticeable that all digital boards around the pitch are now just Visit Pyongyang adverts and a North Korean flag flies outside the stadium

Do you push aside the ownership nonsense and embrace the push for Premier League football, or do you stop attending in protest at the ownership?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RFC Sportwashing Scenario - An Official HNA Dilemma Thread

by South Coast Royal » 20 Feb 2023 20:02

Hmmm.
Over the past few years we have gone from being owned by a social-climbing dodgy car sales bloke( bit harsh but exaggerated to make a point) using the club to further his social ambitions and standing.
He sells out to the dodgy Russian son of a dodgy Russian father who does very little for the club.

We then get owners from the Far East keen to buy associated land and then move on and , coming up to date, we have mysterious owners from a country that our government is not too keen on.

So would your scenario be so much different from what we have had in terms of questionable reasons for wanting to own our club?
I guess that North Korea is just as much a threat as Russia and China and little was said about the past two so should we be concerned about the next owners?

A flippant response to an unlikely prospect.
I would probably still go to matches as I have done under previous owners as it is still our club despite being owned (as it always has been) by individuals and not by the fans..

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Feb 2023 08:52

Winston Biscuit With all the recent talk of sportwashing going on I got to both wondering & pondering over the weekend what I would actually do if RFC got involved in it. It was tricky, on one hand my undying love for all things RFC, but on the other an unpleasant regime using the club to try and create an improved image.

The scenario : Kim Jong-un of North Korea buys RFC. After the initial shock of it all, it becomes clear that the boy Jong-un is serious about throwing money into it and goes about making big signings and puts together what looks like a title challenging team.

The pre season friendlies show that he is serious about pushing for promotion to the Premier League but it's also noticeable that all digital boards around the pitch are now just Visit Pyongyang adverts and a North Korean flag flies outside the stadium

Do you push aside the ownership nonsense and embrace the push for Premier League football, or do you stop attending in protest at the ownership?

I think Dai Yongge is about as far as is tolerable so no, I wouldn't still support the club if a legitimate criminal was in charge.

I personally disagree with Dai Yongge being the owner and don't go to games anymore as I refuse to fund the club under his ownership. I still support them from afar though.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 21 Feb 2023 09:22

show me an owner that has enough money to buy a club in the champ or prem that hasn't got some skeletons in the closet.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 21 Feb 2023 10:31

Winston Biscuit With all the recent talk of sportwashing going on I got to both wondering & pondering over the weekend what I would actually do if RFC got involved in it. It was tricky, on one hand my undying love for all things RFC, but on the other an unpleasant regime using the club to try and create an improved image.

Welcome, Kimmy!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Feb 2023 23:02

People do realise right that it doesn't matter how rich a new owner is, they still can't spend more money than what the EFL rules dictate? Our recent issues have absolutely nothing to do with our owners not having enough money.

Sometimes it feels that people don't get that. Our owners were happy bankrolling £30m a season losses.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Feb 2023 17:34

Elm Park Kid People do realise right that it doesn't matter how rich a new owner is, they still can't spend more money than what the EFL rules dictate? Our recent issues have absolutely nothing to do with our owners not having enough money.

Sometimes it feels that people don't get that. Our owners were happy bankrolling £30m a season losses.

You say that like having foreign owners piling in millions per season as the norm for most clubs is an acceptable way of running affairs.

On one level yeh fine it's their money but how the hell did we end up like this? I think it's absolute madness and the governance of the game from FIFA right down to local FA level is appalling.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Feb 2023 08:51

I just want someone to look after the interests of the club really. I don't mind rich owners like we've got now, but I wouldn't want to see anyone leave the club in a state which is what has happened over the last few years. There isn't much difference between the scenario and what's happened in recent years bar the person in charge which, in that extreme, I wouldn't be going to games.

If someone wants to bankroll the club to the PL, I'd still support the team, like what has happened in the last few seasons. But I just want someone to look after the interests of the club and fund the club. Hopefully the changes in regulation can make the club a little bit more self-sustainable.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 27 Feb 2023 10:30

I'd jump at the chance to support a phoenix club rising up through non league. I think like with the Glazers at Man United, for many fans it was as much about being fed up with "the modern game" and all it's trappings as anything - the Glazer takeover provided the catalyst to mobilise the fans into organising something new.

Imagine away days at Aldershot, Maidenhead United, Dulwich Hamlet etc. Standing on the terraces. Paying a modest sum for entry on the gate. A bar at the ground with interesting beers on. A proper community club, not a business run by foreign millionaires.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Feb 2023 10:32

Green I'd jump at the chance to support a phoenix club rising up through non league. I think like with the Glazers at Man United, for many fans it was as much about being fed up with "the modern game" and all it's trappings as anything - the Glazer takeover provided the catalyst to mobilise the fans into organising something new.

Imagine away days at Aldershot, Maidenhead United, Dulwich Hamlet etc. Standing on the terraces. Paying a modest sum for entry on the gate. A bar at the ground with interesting beers on. A proper community club, not a business run by foreign millionaires.

One where you're actually a part of it, a real participant - rather than a customer, merely a number, an entry on a CRM system. What's not to like?

elrey

by elrey » 27 Feb 2023 11:01

Is there much difference than having a Chinese owner?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Feb 2023 11:12

Tough one.

Part of me thinks Ian. Another thinks Royal.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Feb 2023 11:33

Dirk Gently
Green I'd jump at the chance to support a phoenix club rising up through non league. I think like with the Glazers at Man United, for many fans it was as much about being fed up with "the modern game" and all it's trappings as anything - the Glazer takeover provided the catalyst to mobilise the fans into organising something new.

One where you're actually a part of it, a real participant - rather than a customer, merely a number, an entry on a CRM system. What's not to like?

The football?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Feb 2023 11:40

Silver Fox
Dirk Gently

The football?

Maybe. But I'd always rather watch 22 genuine players who care and are putting everything into it ahead of 22 over-paid players who kiss the badge of a team they'd never heard of until their agent told them how much they'd earn, and who are more concerned about their image rights and next move than winning the game - regardless of level. Passion and commitment >>>>> skills.

As for diving, step-overs, goal celebrations, time-wasting, VAR and many other factors - don't get me started.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 27 Feb 2023 12:00

Dirk Gently
Silver Fox
Dirk Gently

The football?

Maybe. But I'd always rather watch 22 genuine players who care and are putting everything into it ahead of 22 over-paid players who kiss the badge of a team they'd never heard of until their agent told them how much they'd earn, and who are more concerned about their image rights and next move than winning the game - regardless of level. Passion and commitment >>>>> skills.

As for diving, step-overs, goal celebrations, time-wasting, VAR and many other factors - don't get me started.

I'd also say that mid table championship football isnt that entertaining to watch from a pure sporting spectacle. Its ok, not amazing. Its rare there is a moment of skill that is so good that you admire it. Fast attacks leading to goals dont seem to exist at Reading, nor have they done so basically since we won the league with McDermott.

That weird purple patch at the beginning with Pauno had some great stuff from Olise, but i actually think he's been one of my least favourite Reading players of all time.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Feb 2023 12:37

Dirk Gently
Silver Fox
Dirk Gently

The football?

It's funny though we get that now and it still isn't enough for some fans. Yeah the football can be turgid and nobody ever likes seeing their side on a poor run of form and not winning games, yet we do battle hard, try to grind results out and show a much greater level of passion and commitment and we still have fans that complain despite having the complete opposite for years on end now.

Hopefully with a bit more careful running of the club and adding a bit of pace into our side so that we can be a bit more expansive next season that will add a bit more satisfaction amongst some fans.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Feb 2023 13:50

Dirk Gently
Silver Fox
Dirk Gently

The football?

Looks like football isn’t the sport for you .! Most of what you dislike exists right the way through the game, certainly you’d have to drop a long way down the pyramid to something approaching park football !
You probably need to watch some club rugby…..

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Feb 2023 13:55

Nameless
Dirk Gently
Silver Fox
The football?

Looks like football isn’t the sport for you .! Most of what you dislike exists right the way through the game, certainly you’d have to drop a long way down the pyramid to something approaching park football !
You probably need to watch some club rugby…..

The team I watch on a weekly basis perfectly fits my wish list, thanks. Not a great level of skill at times, but always frantic, full-commitment football, in front of a noisy and passionate crowd. None of the histrionics or "look at me nonsense" of wannabe Premier League "stars" - oh and they play in blue and white hoops!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 27 Feb 2023 19:19

Silver Fox
Dirk Gently

The football?

Lolz. Let's be honest if that was the sole factor you wouldn't support Reading.

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1