Reading FC - The administrators

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Reading FC - The administrators

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Jul 2006 20:12

Todays announcement about radio Berks being dropped for match commentray is just the latest in a string of decisions from RFC PLC which display utter contempt for the fans.

But are things really worse now than they used to be at Elm Park? Remember the delights of Annie Bassett and Mike Lewis?

So, are the current gruesome twosome of Howe and Butler any worse that previous ones, or are they just carrying on a long RFC tradition?

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 20 Jul 2006 20:22

Radio Berks has been dropped!? :shock:

Why? :cry:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Reading FC - The administrators

by Dirk Gently » 20 Jul 2006 22:16

Jerry St Clair Todays announcement about radio Berks being dropped for match commentray is just the latest in a string of decisions from RFC PLC which display utter contempt for the fans.

But are things really worse now than they used to be at Elm Park? Remember the delights of Annie Bassett and Mike Lewis?

So, are the current gruesome twosome of Howe and Butler any worse that previous ones, or are they just carrying on a long RFC tradition?

From what I know of those two, I do believe that they are genuinely working for the best of the club, according to the terms or reference that is set by "he who is above".

Ask yourself who owns a large stake in 107, and then ask yourself who in RFC is likely to have actually made the decision on where the broadcast rights will be awarded.

I think in many situations NH & BB are left with the unpleasant job of trying to publicly justify extremely unjustifyable decisions like this one.

Tilehurst Road
Location: And yeah I'd like to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from wok-ingham

by Tilehurst Road » 20 Jul 2006 23:37

It's a ploy to get more people to go to away games, as they know people won't want to listen to Reading 107 commentary.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 21 Jul 2006 09:22

I think you are seeing the best business plan being put in place to make the club a viable proposition. If you think about what has happened of late then it all makes perfect business sense :

Rise in ticket prices - Increase profit margins and income
Two new shirts - Increase profit in merchandising
Increase in hotel capacity - Investing in the second largest asset other than the stadium
Cut out the competition - Remove BBC Berks as a live broadcaster, keep the money flow internal with 107
Capacity increase - Make large noises about the potential of the stadium to reach a maximum of 40,000 rather than talking about a small increase based on our performances this season

Basically, the sales team are in full marketing mode for selling RFC

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2006 09:30

Huntley & Palmer I think you are seeing the best business plan being put in place to make the club a viable proposition. If you think about what has happened of late then it all makes perfect business sense :

Increase in hotel capacity - Investing in the second largest asset other than the stadium
Cut out the competition - Remove BBC Berks as a live broadcaster, keep the money flow internal with 107
Capacity increase - Make large noises about the potential of the stadium to reach a maximum of 40,000 rather than talking about a small increase based on our performances this season

Couldn't agree more.

Gregster

by Gregster » 21 Jul 2006 10:26

Stranded
Huntley & Palmer I think you are seeing the best business plan being put in place to make the club a viable proposition. If you think about what has happened of late then it all makes perfect business sense :

Couldn't agree more.

Seconded (thirded?!)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Reading FC - The administrators

by RoyalBlue » 21 Jul 2006 15:32

Jerry St Clair Todays announcement about radio Berks being dropped for match commentray is just the latest in a string of decisions from RFC PLC which display utter contempt for the fans.

Were Mike Lewis and Annie that bad? At least they had the excuse of no money, sod all facilities, very few staff, etc. etc. Their boss was also able and prepared to understand the fans' point of view from what I recall of him - certainly had the bottle to stand right in the middle of an angry group of supporters on Norfolk Road and discuss their views one dark rainy night after a poor performance. 'Branfoot got us into this mess and he can damn well get us out of it'.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jul 2006 00:44

Mike Lewis was a serial administrative oxf*rd though.

I remember about 6 months ago a Wigan fan posted on here warning of the perils of the Premiership turning their small time local club into a money grabbing administative spawn of Satan with no regard for the paying spectator and how it would surely happen to us. I seem to remember he was mocked at the time. Seems like he was spot on to me.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1