North Stand smoking policy

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

North Stand smoking policy

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Aug 2006 11:25

For information to most people here. Looks like it is going to be a mare. I have asked STAR for more information or the club to make an effort to inform people

"Had the opportunity to test the new no smoking policy in the North Stand at the friendly on Saturday. Spoke to one of the entrance staff on Gate 6, he knew nothing about the rules surrounding the new policy. He suggested checking with one of the tango stewards inside. Spoke to two of them, they had no idea on the rules surrounding the policy.

At half time I managed to find one of the older, more experienced yellow stewards. He explained that both Gate 5 & 6 will allow people out to smoke. Fine, no problem. When asked about taking alcohol out there he was slightly more vague, allowed us to do it on the day but was not sure if this would apply for the whole season.

This was a question I raised with the club directly when the new policy was put forward, still never had any response.

Interestingly enough, the older steward stressed the importance of not being any more than 5 minutes over the start of half time or we would be locked out. I noticed that there was only one man on the gate, having to manually open the turnstile for re-entry.

Seeing as the North was less than half full and there were at least 100 people outside having a cigarette I can foresee many problems on Saturday when the full compliment of smokers are in attendance. Will an announcement be made by the stewards warning people that the turnstile will close in the next X minutes? How will they cope with hundreds of people trying to squeeze through two turnstiles?

I fear the club have made a huge cock up here and will leave many a person disgruntled early into the season in the North Stand. Any comments appreciated"

cheeryoleary

Re: North Stand smoking policy

by cheeryoleary » 14 Aug 2006 11:50

Huntley & Palmer Any comments appreciated"

...... quit smoking :wink:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 Aug 2006 12:06

Do you think there's any reason one of the ghostbusters couldn't be stationed outside?

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 14 Aug 2006 13:21

Can't see that there should be a problem taking beer out as it already happens in the East Stand smoking area.

Out of interest the hotel is now completely no smoking in all bars and public areas.

Can anyone confirm the Jazz Cafe stance as I may have to review my post match option?

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 14 Aug 2006 13:24

With regards to the Jazz Cafe, anyone know the earliest it opens? I always got there for about 13.30 but planning to get there as early as possible on Saturday, ta.

clauski

by clauski » 14 Aug 2006 20:16

ayjaydee Can't see that there should be a problem taking beer out as it already happens in the East Stand smoking area.

Out of interest the hotel is now completely no smoking in all bars and public areas.

Can anyone confirm the Jazz Cafe stance as I may have to review my post match option?

May be a difference in that the East stand bit is fenced in and therefore still effectively within the ground, but North/West aren't?

Pleased about that hotel news as a non-smoker as I expect upstairs to be shut for corporate schmoozing most games this year :evil: Just need a second bar to be built downstairs now...

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 14 Aug 2006 21:32

ayjaydee Can't see that there should be a problem taking beer out as it already happens in the East Stand smoking area.

See the response in the STAR forum - briefly the premises licence covers enclosed areas (e.g the cordoned off area outside the East stand) but cannot cover open areas which are technically off the premises.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1