Linked tickets - ST holders please ignore

118 posts

Linked tickets - ST holders please ignore

by 1960 » 23 Aug 2006 16:48

For non ST holders to buy Man U tickets you have to buy tickets for Charlton at the same time. This does bring up some questions about the way the club goes about things. That's not my problem though. I can't actually go to The Manutd game, but I can get to the Charlton game. The club say that the system makes people who want to go to the big games have to go to the smaller games too. I WANT to go to the smaller game. I wonder what they'll say if I email them with this point.

jetsetwilly

by jetsetwilly » 23 Aug 2006 16:55

Surely you can buy a Charlton ticket but not a Man Utd ticket ? They will only be linked the other way around.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 23 Aug 2006 16:55

well I guess you will need to buy the linked tickets and pass on the Man U tickets to someone else that you know.

The prem is such a great place to be is it not?

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 23 Aug 2006 16:55

It does sound suspect. What if someone who is planning on going to all games, but cant for whatever reason go to a linked game? Its rather odd.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Aug 2006 17:26

IIRC Southampton used to do this too. This must be part of the Makin deal, we let him go, they tell us how to get more income.

I would have prefered it the club decided to do this when they did not sell out for a game, then they would have some justification in making life more difficult.

This should be a real challenge for the online ticketing system....

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Aug 2006 19:40

PieEater I would have prefered it the club decided to do this when they did not sell out for a game, then they would have some justification in making life more difficult.

Isn't that what they are trying to achieve? We struggled to sell out our first ever game in the Premiership so it is feasible that games like Charlton and Bolton wil also struggle to sell out. This is their way of trying to prevent that.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 23 Aug 2006 19:43

what happened to supply and demand, if Charlton was cheaper then it might easily sell out, once again i think the club have go the whole thing wrong.

Middlesboro would have sold out if tickets had been less, there is not demand in Reading for much more thatn 25k and that is only for the top few games

working class hero

by working class hero » 23 Aug 2006 23:57

The 17 Bus what happened to supply and demand, if Charlton was cheaper then it might easily sell out, once again i think the club have go the whole thing wrong.

Middlesboro would have sold out if tickets had been less, there is not demand in Reading for much more thatn 25k and that is only for the top few games

The club has over estimated demand and have priced at a level that is leading to consumer resistance..... I am amused that the justification for hiking prices was that it was all down to market demand. When demand then is found to be lower than our experts believed they distort the rules to try to blackmail people into going to games they do not wish to attend. Am I the only one who can see that many will be unable to afford to buy linked games and seem to be being relegated to only watching 'lesser' games? If the Charlton game is available without a link and sells out it leads to the hilarious prospect of unsold seats at the MU game if Charlton attendees are not interested in both.....

In 1983 I stopped going to football as prices began to spiral and the joy was removed from the game in my view. I started back in 2000 watching 'little Reading' in Division 2 and rapidly became an STH. Since we have reached the top I am again feeling disenchanted at the 'business' aspects of my beloved game.

I guess I will have to just go and support a lower / non league team and see the true principles again.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 24 Aug 2006 02:15

Fulham do this too.

A mate of mine had to buy a ticket for the Bolton game tonight to get one for the Chelsea game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Aug 2006 10:39

Number 54 in the 'Reading FC Recipes For Disaster' book!

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 24 Aug 2006 10:40

Not sure I agree with this, as it will just end up with empty but sold seats at the Charlton game.

I would think that making the Royalty point scheme more reactive would be a better idea, i.e. no points for the Man U and 20 points for the Chartlon game. This means as the season goes on, you would need Royalty points to get tickets to any big game, and you need to have gone to a few smaller games to get them.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Aug 2006 10:46

Royal Fleet Not sure I agree with this, as it will just end up with empty but sold seats at the Charlton game.

You never know, the club might just possibly have introduced their much-vaunted buyback scheme by then.

Nah.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 24 Aug 2006 10:52

Match tickets are over-priced, and this will be reflected in crowds this season.

Two tickets (for myself, a member, and my Dad - NM) plus parking, beers and programme, for Manchester City, is going to be near £90. For a midweek home game. Crazy.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Aug 2006 10:52

Platypuss
Royal Fleet Not sure I agree with this, as it will just end up with empty but sold seats at the Charlton game.

You never know, the club might just possibly have introduced their much-vaunted buyback scheme by then.

Nah.

I doubt they would offer the buy back scheme for a linked match. If they did what would have been the point in linking it in the first place.

OK so there may be some people who can't attend both matches due to prior commitments but this number will be small. So if anyone buys these linked tickets and only turns up for the Man Utd game then they must have more money than sense.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 24 Aug 2006 11:08

Don't really see much of an issue with this. Stops people from just attending the United game, which although may annoy some people who literally can't get to the Charlton game, is fair enough IMO.

As has already been said, you'll obviously be able to buy a Charlton ticket without having to buy a United one, seeing as the Charlton game is in November.

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 24 Aug 2006 11:31

southbank1871 Don't really see much of an issue with this. Stops people from just attending the United game, which although may annoy some people who literally can't get to the Charlton game, is fair enough IMO.

As has already been said, you'll obviously be able to buy a Charlton ticket without having to buy a United one, seeing as the Charlton game is in November.

Not sure this is right. If they sell out the Man U game then surely the Charlton game will also sell out.

If they are forcing you to buy charlton tickets at the same time as Man U they cannot sell the Charlton tickets on their own otherwise they will not be available to Man U ticket buyers.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 24 Aug 2006 11:34

premiership_bound
southbank1871 Don't really see much of an issue with this. Stops people from just attending the United game, which although may annoy some people who literally can't get to the Charlton game, is fair enough IMO.

Not sure this is right. If they sell out the Man U game then surely the Charlton game will also sell out.

If they are forcing you to buy charlton tickets at the same time as Man U they cannot sell the Charlton tickets on their own otherwise they will not be available to Man U ticket buyers.

Hadn't thought about it like that, you are correct.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Aug 2006 11:39

Wycombe Royal
Platypuss

Nah.

I doubt they would offer the buy back scheme for a linked match. If they did what would have been the point in linking it in the first place.

To sell all the Charlton tickets?

The buyback scheme wouldn't refund the full value of the tickets and certainly not in staright cash, so what has the club got to lose?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Aug 2006 12:17

So people already unhappy with the price of tickets will pay double for Man United?

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 24 Aug 2006 12:24

Personally, I don't see any problem with this.

Anyone who is a Royals fan will be happy to have a chance to get a ticket for 2 games in one transaction - and because personal/phone callers can choose which 2 games to link together that's exactly what it is - the chance of not being able to make one of the smaller games shouldn't happen. (It's only on the web sales that you have to link the "big" game to a particular "small" game - and that's because of the way the software is at the moment - there's no other way to do this for web sales at the moment).

As far as I'm concerned, if anyone is interested only in seeing Reading play games against the "glory teams" then let them pay more for their ticket. Yes, there may be some people who buy tickets for Man Utd & Charlton (for example) and then don't bother to turn up for Charlton, but IMHO that's their loss and more fool them, and I suspect that the vast majority of those tickets will be used one way or another, even if they're used by someone else.

In summary, I don't see anything much wrong with the club effectively saying "if you want to buy tickets for us playing a popular team you need to make a bit more of a commitment to us and buy tickets for a less popular game too."

118 posts