Linked tickets - ST holders please ignore

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Aug 2006 12:29

STAR Campaigns Personally, I don't see any problem with this.

Anyone who is a Royals fan will be happy to have a chance to get a ticket for 2 games in one transaction - and because personal/phone callers can choose which 2 games to link together that's exactly what it is - the chance of not being able to make one of the smaller games shouldn't happen. (It's only on the web sales that you have to link the "big" game to a particular "small" game - and that's because of the way the software is at the moment - there's no other way to do this for web sales at the moment).

As far as I'm concerned, if anyone is interested only in seeing Reading play games against the "glory teams" then let them pay more for their ticket. Yes, there may be some people who buy tickets for Man Utd & Charlton (for example) and then don't bother to turn up for Charlton, but IMHO that's their loss and more fool them, and I suspect that the vast majority of those tickets will be used one way or another, even if they're used by someone else.

In summary, I don't see anything much wrong with the club effectively saying "if you want to buy tickets for us playing a popular team you need to make a bit more of a commitment to us and buy tickets for a less popular game too."

Couldn't agree more with that.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Aug 2006 12:31

Anyone who is a Royals fan will be happy to have a chance to get a ticket for 2 games in one transaction - and because personal/phone callers can choose which 2 games to link together that's exactly what it is - the chance of not being able to make one of the smaller games shouldn't happen. (It's only on the web sales that you have to link the "big" game to a particular "small" game - and that's because of the way the software is at the moment - there's no other way to do this for web sales at the moment).

Wouldn't it be a good idea if the O/S actually agreed with you?

Tickets for the home games against Manchester United and Charlton Athletic will go on sale on Tuesday 29th August.

Manchester United visit Madejski Stadium on Saturday 23rd September, kick off 5:15pm, while the Charlton match takes place at 3pm on Saturday 18th November.

As well as a Royalty Points basis being used to prioritise ticket sales for these matches, the two games are linked so that they can only be purchased together.

For example, if you want to buy two tickets to Reading vs Man Utd, you will also have to book two tickets to the Charlton game.

A similar system will be used for future home Platinum category games - eg the Platinum game with Chelsea will be linked with the silver Bolton fixture. Sale dates will be announced as soon as possible.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~887096,00.html

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Aug 2006 12:32

Spot on star, I hadn't actually read that the link didn't necessarily have to be with Charlton so the argument "I can't get to Charlton" dies on its arse completely

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 24 Aug 2006 12:34

Platypuss

Wouldn't it be a good idea if the O/S actually agreed with you?

Tickets for the home games against Manchester United and Charlton Athletic will go on sale on Tuesday 29th August.

Manchester United visit Madejski Stadium on Saturday 23rd September, kick off 5:15pm, while the Charlton match takes place at 3pm on Saturday 18th November.

As well as a Royalty Points basis being used to prioritise ticket sales for these matches, the two games are linked so that they can only be purchased together.

For example, if you want to buy two tickets to Reading vs Man Utd, you will also have to book two tickets to the Charlton game.

A similar system will be used for future home Platinum category games - eg the Platinum game with Chelsea will be linked with the silver Bolton fixture. Sale dates will be announced as soon as possible.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~887096,00.html

:!: In which case that's a change from the way it was going to be done last week! I'll see what I can find out....

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 24 Aug 2006 12:34

Furthermore:

"A similar system will be used for future home Platinum category games - eg the Platinum game with Chelsea will be linked with the silver Bolton fixture. Sale dates will be announced as soon as possible. "

Match categories
We have made some changes to match ticket prices for the Premiership, most importantly by deciding to categorise fixtures into Platinum, Gold, and Silver matches.

Platinum: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United
5 Royalty Points will be allocated for each Platinum booking

Gold: Aston Villa, Bolton Wanderers, Everton, Manchester City, Middlesbrough
10 Royalty Points will be allocated for each Gold booking.

Silver: Blackburn Rovers, Charlton Athletic, Fulham, Portsmouth, Sheffield United, Watford, Wigan Athletic
15 Royalty Points will be allocated for each Silver booking.

However we are told that Bolton is a Silver game and is linked with the Chelsea game.

For God's sake sort it out, RFC.

Absolutely pathetic.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Aug 2006 12:49

My old man was planning to go to the Charlton game, The way it's worded he'd have to buy a Man Utd ticket as well so he won't bother.

Shame really as I believe there will be many empty seats with tickets sold against Charlton due to this scheme.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Aug 2006 13:25

While I understand that RFC want to encourage people to go the smaller games if they want to go the bigger ones, (the whole you can't have your cake and eat it philosophy) this will surely jeopardise those people who can't get tickets for Charlton for example into not going.

Plus surely it also ruins the point of gaining Royalty points for the silver and gold games which are worth more, to then get tickets for the platinum game as a reward. Under this idea, that wouldnt need to happen it would be the other way round, and would actually push people away (like myself) who can probably only go to the lesser games. Confused so am I!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 24 Aug 2006 13:31

I am very much against this approach and very disappointed that STAR seem to be supporting it. I don't see how they are representing fans who can only make odd games because of other commitments or financial contraints. The royalty point scheme is meant to the method to prioritise ticket sales and the club are already used this to make the Charlton game worth more points.

The club should be using a "carrot" not a "stick" approach to encourage sales for games against less glamourous clubs. i.e If they must do this then make the link optional and offer a discount on the ticket prices.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 24 Aug 2006 14:05

STAR Campaigns In summary, I don't see anything much wrong with the club effectively saying "if you want to buy tickets for us playing a popular team you need to make a bit more of a commitment to us and buy tickets for a less popular game too."

Not quite the whole picture. What they are actually saying is "if you want to buy tickets for us playing a popular team you need to make a bit more of a commitment to us and buy tickets for a less popular game too despite those tickets being too overpriced to sell out on their own "

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Aug 2006 14:06

Dai Brainbocs
STAR Campaigns In summary, I don't see anything much wrong with the club effectively saying "if you want to buy tickets for us playing a popular team you need to make a bit more of a commitment to us and buy tickets for a less popular game too."

Not quite the whole picture. What they are actually saying is "if you want to buy tickets for us playing a popular team you need to make a bit more of a commitment to us and buy tickets for a less popular game too despite those tickets being too overpriced to sell out on their own "

I think another motive behind this is an attempt to stop people with member cards who aren't going to attend either match from buying tickets for their Man Utd following (I can't use the word supporting) friends/colleagues/etc.....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Aug 2006 14:07

So once again the club/fans are paying the price for the initial penny pinching on the software purchase. The purchase of the cheap, nasty and extremely limited capability option rather flies in the face of the building towards the Premiership approach.

I suspect any savings on the initial purchase have already been more than eaten up by the extra man hours needed to fix problems and work arounds with the cheap option.

Wycombe Royal I doubt they would offer the buy back scheme for a linked match. If they did what would have been the point in linking it in the first place.

Was it ever going to be a 'buy back' scheme? I suspect it was always intended to be a 'resale' scheme. i.e. you would only get your dosh if the club were able to resell your tickets to someone else. If it is a resale system, then it could still operate for linked games but you would just be a lot more unlikely to be able to get shot of your tickets for the lower category game.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 24 Aug 2006 14:50

Is this "Official" from STAR?

What about those of us who have shown commitment in the past - built up our Royalty points - but for quite obvious reasons can't afford to bring ourselves and the missus down the road for two games - when we have to pay for them both in the same month!

Some of us don't have a spare £120 lying around every month!

It is disgusting! You create one naff Royalty points system - change the goal posts the next season - give away 20 points for turning up to a pointless friendly and then change the system by which tickets are allocated.

STAR should be helping the poorer fan - not supporting the clubs insane bias to people with more money!

I am suprised they haven't put a link to the Reading FC Credit Card when you try to purchase tickets!

MADNESS!!!!!!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 24 Aug 2006 15:19

Platypuss Furthermore:

"A similar system will be used for future home Platinum category games - eg the Platinum game with Chelsea will be linked with the silver Bolton fixture. Sale dates will be announced as soon as possible. "

Match categories
We have made some changes to match ticket prices for the Premiership, most importantly by deciding to categorise fixtures into Platinum, Gold, and Silver matches.

Platinum: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United

Silver: Blackburn Rovers, Charlton Athletic, Fulham, Portsmouth, Sheffield United, Watford, Wigan Athletic

However we are told that Bolton is a Silver game and is linked with the Chelsea game.

Absolutely pathetic.

Well spotted Platypuss. Absolutely surreal stuff from the ticket office.

Again.

willow

by willow » 24 Aug 2006 16:30

Well I think the whole thing stinks. Some of us work weekends you know so shelling out on a ST is a non starter. Now the brains behind the wonder that is the ticket office are saying you can have a man utd ticket as long as you pay for a charlton ticket, so nearly £70, so now I am seriously having second thoughts about getting a ticket for the Utd game as shelling out that amount of money in one go is a bit too much. Apparantly this now makes me a fairweather supporter or glory hunter. well I agree i've been hunting glory for 25 years now and am now being treated like this. The £8 sky charge for a prem plus game now looks like that bit more appealing :?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Aug 2006 16:32

notloyalenuffroyal

Is this "Official" from STAR?

What about those of us who have shown commitment in the past - built up our Royalty points - but for quite obvious reasons can't afford to bring ourselves and the missus down the road for two games - when we have to pay for them both in the same month!

Some of us don't have a spare £120 lying around every month!

It is disgusting! You create one naff Royalty points system - change the goal posts the next season - give away 20 points for turning up to a pointless friendly and then change the system by which tickets are allocated.

STAR should be helping the poorer fan - not supporting the clubs insane bias to people with more money!

I am suprised they haven't put a link to the Reading FC Credit Card when you try to purchase tickets!

MADNESS!!!!!!

Completely agree.

This is another example of the club looking to squeeze every last bit out of the fans and whats the point of loyalty points if not to distribute tickets to those fans who turn up for the lesser games in the first place!!!

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 24 Aug 2006 17:15

Offering an incentive to use the club's own credit card might be a good commercial idea. But they'd have to resist the urge to do the converse and penalize those who don't, and with the cash registers flashing as they are at the moment I don't see them managing to. They'll be charging to pee by volume before they've finished.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 24 Aug 2006 18:16

Jerry St Clair
Platypuss Furthermore:

Match categories

Absolutely pathetic.

Well spotted Platypuss. Absolutely surreal stuff from the ticket office.

Again.

They've now fixed this by correcting the reference to Gold for Bolton.

"This linking system is being used because we want to ensure that tickets for the most popular games go to supporters who are also prepared to support the team in less high-profile fixtures."

Which just goes to confirm what we thought all along - Bolton should never have been Gold in the first place if fans need to be blackmailed into getting tickets for them.

aardvark

by aardvark » 24 Aug 2006 18:33

If RFC are wanting to get in as much money as possible, why didn't they just make the Man Utd tickets (even) more expensive, and allow people to buy tickets for each match separately rather than all this "linking" business?... Maybe they couldn't think of another metal more expensive than platinum.

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 24 Aug 2006 19:33

willow Well I think the whole thing stinks. Some of us work weekends you know so shelling out on a ST is a non starter. Now the brains behind the wonder that is the ticket office are saying you can have a man utd ticket as long as you pay for a charlton ticket, so nearly £70, so now I am seriously having second thoughts about getting a ticket for the Utd game as shelling out that amount of money in one go is a bit too much. Apparantly this now makes me a fairweather supporter or glory hunter. well I agree i've been hunting glory for 25 years now and am now being treated like this. The £8 sky charge for a prem plus game now looks like that bit more appealing :?

I'm quite happy for me and my dad to be labelled glory supporters by wanting to watch our team play against Man Utd and not really all that bothered about Charlton.
50 years this season my dad has been supporting Reading and the thought of seeing Man Utd play in the league at Reading is the kind of fixture he thought he could only dream of. Now if he wants to see it live he's forced into buying for the Charlton game. Bearing in mind its 30 quid at least on the train (and thats with a senior citizen railcard) quite frankly prem plus is looking appealing here in Derby as well.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 24 Aug 2006 19:42

Agree with Pie Eater that the member points system was set up to solve this problem of demand - and looking at the 6 or 7 or so different booking periods, only those with a fair number of points will be able to purchase United tickets anyway, and too right.

Forcing fans to spend twice as much money to secure such a ticket, however, is wrong.