Expanding the Mad Stat

135 posts
SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

Expanding the Mad Stat

by SWLR » 08 Sep 2006 11:42

Well if we can't sell out 24K a week with ease, then there is no point on anymore threads on planning the expansion to 40K. We'll just be "Little Ol' Reading 'till I die!"

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Expanding the Mad Stat

by Stranded » 08 Sep 2006 11:46

SWLR Well if we can't sell out 24K a week with ease, then there is no point on anymore threads on planning the expansion to 40K. We'll just be "Little Ol' Reading 'till I die!"

Very early in the season to question that. All tickets were sold for Boro and our 2nd game is on a Monday night on TV and the kids are back to school. Hardly par for the course.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 08 Sep 2006 11:48

:roll:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Sep 2006 11:48

SWLR

Spot on.

Afraid to say. That is the reality............

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 08 Sep 2006 11:51

Stranded
SWLR Well if we can't sell out 24K a week with ease, then there is no point on anymore threads on planning the expansion to 40K. We'll just be "Little Ol' Reading 'till I die!"

Very early in the season to question that. All tickets were sold for Boro and our 2nd game is on a Monday night on TV and the kids are back to school. Hardly par for the course.

I'd expect demand to be greater on the wave of last season, falling off if the team aren't performing.
Games will not be in regular slots making harder for all to attend every game.
Only an extra demand of 1,000 STH (although I'll accept some did not bother).
I'd only expand to 30K if I knew deamnd was for 35K to maintain the tension of demand (if people know they can always get a a ticket they are less likley to buy a ST)

Right now, if I was on the Board I would not put forward the case for a stadium increase

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Sep 2006 11:56

SWLR
Stranded

I'd expect demand to be greater on the wave of last season, falling off if the team aren't performing.
Games will not be in regular slots making harder for all to attend every game.
Only an extra demand of 1,000 STH (although I'll accept some did not bother).
I'd only expand to 30K if I knew deamnd was for 35K to maintain the tension of demand (if people know they can always get a a ticket they are less likley to buy a ST)

Right now, if I was on the Board I would not put forward the case for a stadium increase

Fair enough.

Most of our games are still weekends though that won't effect kids coming along as much as a 10pm finish on a Monday night. The Man Utd game (and by proxy Charlton) are almost sold out - so is a point better discussed at Xmas when we've had 9/10 home games.

As you say you accept that some people did not bother did not bother to get STs, a lot won't bother trying to get match tickets for similar reasons.

I do agree that a jump up to 40k is wrong and I don't think the plan was ever to go straight to that but to do it in stages if we stayed up.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 08 Sep 2006 12:00

I thought the plan was to expand to 30K if things went well in the Premiership.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 08 Sep 2006 12:04

When the railway station is built, will it be called the Mad Stat?

anR

by anR » 08 Sep 2006 12:26

SpaceCruiser I thought the plan was to expand to 30K if things went well in the Premiership.

40K by putting another tier on the S,E,N stands... Apparently this will happen if we stay up, but the question is, would it be done all at once or in stages over a number of seasons?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Sep 2006 13:19

Here's one for the stattos then, how often did we fill the reduced capacity EP in the last couple of years? I know it took time to get to average gates as high as they are now - but if we'd built a 10- 15k stadium then we'd look silly.

Sometimes you need to speculate a little (not too much - I think an expansion to 75k might be stretching the imagination a tad). I am sure that a larger stadium (~ 40 k) would be viable if we get some time in the Prem league.

However, lets not get into another long thread on what it would look like, and when it might be built!

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 08 Sep 2006 14:04

So what do you think the stadium would like like after the expansion and when do you thing it will be built?

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 08 Sep 2006 14:45

Forgive me, but aren't we now sold out for Monday's game?

So then, let's just recap... 1st game, 100 more people in attendance than last seasons highest gate. 2nd game, sold out 3 days before the game.

What's the problem again?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 08 Sep 2006 14:53

No problem , just some ignorant poster spewing his claptrap.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Sep 2006 15:04

And don't forget the club's own rationale that ticket prices have to be as high as they are now because of the small capacity.

So an increase in capacity will allow more reasonable prices to be set - if only for the less attractive games - whilst stil increasing overall revenue.

This will help increase demand and allow the games to be more accessible to the old, young and less well off.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Sep 2006 15:26

Dirk Gently And don't forget the club's own rationale that ticket prices have to be as high as they are now because of the small capacity.

So an increase in capacity will allow more reasonable prices to be set - if only for the less attractive games - whilst stil increasing overall revenue.

This will help increase demand and allow the games to be more accessible to the old, young and less well off.

Pigs cleared for take off!

More likely ticket prices will have to be increased/stay high in order to help pay off money spent on expansion!

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 08 Sep 2006 15:45

RoyalBlue
Dirk Gently And don't forget the club's own rationale that ticket prices have to be as high as they are now because of the small capacity.

Pigs cleared for take off!

More likely ticket prices will have to be increased/stay high in order to help pay off money spent on expansion!

Like any business (and, sorry, RFC is a business) it's a case of supply and demand. They set the prices for this season and, whilst some people did complain, we have 18,000 season tickets and should have crowds of at least £20k for each match this season.

If the stadium was expanded to 30k then they would, no doubt, set the prices accordingly (or try to). They would soon start dropping prices and giving offers if they had set the price too high.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Sep 2006 15:46

Stranded As you say you accept that some people did not bother did not bother to get STs, a lot won't bother trying to get match tickets for similar reasons.

Not quite sure what you mean by that? The ST sales reached maximum availability (the club always said they'd only sell 18k STs I think), and there was, I vaguely recall, still a slight waiting list when sales closed.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 08 Sep 2006 15:51

West Stand Man
Stranded As you say you accept that some people did not bother did not bother to get STs, a lot won't bother trying to get match tickets for similar reasons.

Not quite sure what you mean by that? The ST sales reached maximum availability (the club always said they'd only sell 18k STs I think), and there was, I vaguely recall, still a slight waiting list when sales closed.

I recollect the same. There must be between 3000 and 4000 tickets remaining per game (available on a sliding scale of royalty points).

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Sep 2006 15:57

I will be surprised if they expand the Mad Stad next season even if we stay up.

Unlikely no matter what the spin is.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 08 Sep 2006 15:58

Gordons Cumming I will be surprised if they expand the Mad Stad next season even if we stay up.

Unlikely no matter what the spin is.

There were sources in the club at the end of last season who said the East stand extension would be done if we stayed up this season.

135 posts