76%
no
24%

Total votes: 206
West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Nov 2006 11:47

Skin Still no reason why we need goal music.. 6 pages and counting

Still no reason why we don't need it. 6 pages and counting.

Ooops I did it again.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Nov 2006 12:01

Skin
Stranded

It was brought in when it was to try and remedy a peceived lack of atmosphere, people enjoyed it and joined in and as a result it became a permanent fixture.

It is not needed but people enjoy it and chose to join in with the dance. If they did not, it would be phased out, it's really not that hard a thing to grasp.

I compare it to leaving your windscreen wipers on after its stopped raining. You put them on to improve your visibility but even though it does no harm leaving them on afterwards you just don't do it.

Weird analogy. Thousands of people don't visibly enjoy leaving the windscreen wipers on yet thousands can be seen do the dance.

Whether it is needed or not is actually totally irrelevant. Do people appear to enjoy it, the answer (from seeing the large majority join in every week) is clearly yes.

Once the majority no longer join in then it will go. Until that day just celebrate in your own way and live with it.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 17 Nov 2006 12:23

If people want to dance en masse to Tom Hark, they're at the wrong event - We're talking Football matches here, not dancing events..

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 17 Nov 2006 12:25

West Stand Man

Still no reason why we don't need it. 6 pages and counting.

Ooops I did it again.

Still no reason why it has to be Tom Hark.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Nov 2006 13:59

Winchester Royal If people want to dance en masse to Tom Hark, they're at the wrong event - We're talking Football matches here, not dancing events..

If that's how they wish to celebrate a goal then again so what!

I could understand it more if the tannoy was playing TH at totally random points in the game and people were joining in but it is at a time when every individual should be happy and celebrating a goal. Do it as you want and let the others who wish to do that way do it.

The arguement would stand regardless of that song was played.

And for those worried about what it looks/sounds like to others, here's three reason's not to care:

1) If fans of the opposition in the ground take the piss - who cares, we just scored against them.

2) If opposition fans of other Prem clubs take the piss - who cares, we scored against a rival possibly leading to a win/draw

3) If opposition fans of a lower division side take the piss - who cares, we are in the Prem and they are not.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 17 Nov 2006 15:19

Playing Tom Hark after a goal winds up the opposition fans; for that reason alone it should stay.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 17 Nov 2006 16:13

Mr Angry Playing Tom Hark after a goal winds up the opposition fans; for that reason alone it should stay.

That and the fact that you love to get up and boogie with the other Upper West prawn sandwich brigade :wink: :lol:

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 20 Nov 2006 13:08

So, no music after Doyle's goal on Saturday. It seemed to me that the crowd celebrations subsided more quickly then they did after Seol's goal.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2006 13:16

Deadlock So, no music after Doyle's goal on Saturday. It seemed to me that the crowd celebrations subsided more quickly then they did after Seol's goal.

Yep, I noticed that maybe the BTB team were comparing it. I would certainly agree though that the celebrations certainly subsided more quickly and I saw quite a few in the North Stand still doing the dance even without the music.

So from that one, totally unscientific moment, it would appear that TH prolongs the celebrations for most rather than killing them.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Nov 2006 13:29

I enjoyed the second goal more than any other home goal this season. 8)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Nov 2006 13:29

Deadlock So, no music after Doyle's goal on Saturday. It seemed to me that the crowd celebrations subsided more quickly then they did after Seol's goal.

Or that people were expecting TH to start and weren't quite sure what to do.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Nov 2006 13:35

Platypuss

Or that people were expecting TH to start and weren't quite sure what to do.

how very sad. But probably true

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 20 Nov 2006 14:12

If enough people ignore it when it's played, then I'm sure the club will stop playing it.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 20 Nov 2006 14:22

Big Ern If enough people ignore it when it's played, then I'm sure the club will stop playing it.

Exactly.

I'm normally so over overjoyed at us scoring that I look as gay as the next person, waving my arms about like a chimp desperately trying to reach a big old banana, but now I do my screaming and jumping and gay arm waving, the odd cuddle and kiss and as soon as Tom Hark starts, I stop - much to the relief of the chap next to me who is covered in my slobber!

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 20 Nov 2006 14:38

Although I tried, I did'nt make it up to the PA announcers box as I wanted to on Saturday to speak to those numbskulls and tell them where they could stick their Tom Hark goal celebration music !

However, I did manage to provide the RFC commerical with a letter to show my utter contempt and disgust with the way in which we, as fans, are being nannied and dictatored to by the club over OUR celebrations.

If I get a reply, I'll fill you in, but it was sheer pleasure to have the opportunity to celebrate Doyles goal without the embarrasing and sickening TH rubbish blaring and drowning out the goal celebrations. Maybe, just maybe they read my letter as one of the suggestions I made was to just try not playing the music to see what a difference it would make.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 20 Nov 2006 15:42

Alan Partridge I enjoyed the second goal more than any other home goal this season. 8)

More than our first against Boro, which also had no TH? That goal against Boro and Doyle's goal on Saturday and every away goal proves we dont need TH so can we please scrap it!

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 20 Nov 2006 16:02

Stranded I could understand it more if the tannoy was playing TH at totally random points in the game

I'd love it if TH suddenly started up when the other team were taking a penalty/free kick, etc.

Wonder if the tannoy man would be booked for ungentlemanly conduct? :lol:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Nov 2006 17:18

Nezhen Although I tried, I did'nt make it up to the PA announcers box as I wanted to on Saturday to speak to those numbskulls and tell them where they could stick their Tom Hark goal celebration music !

However, I did manage to provide the RFC commerical with a letter to show my utter contempt and disgust with the way in which we, as fans, are being nannied and dictatored to by the club over OUR celebrations.

If I get a reply, I'll fill you in, but it was sheer pleasure to have the opportunity to celebrate Doyles goal without the embarrasing and sickening TH rubbish blaring and drowning out the goal celebrations. Maybe, just maybe they read my letter as one of the suggestions I made was to just try not playing the music to see what a difference it would make.

I look forward to seeing the response - something along the lines of

'which planet are you on, and why do you believe that you have the right to speak on behalf of the vast majority of fans who clearly do enjoy and get involved with the Tom Hark routine when we score? What is it about you that makes you so special that we should listen to your selfish rants rather than take note of the huge quantities of fans who are having a good time?'

Did you fail to notice again on Saturday that there only very small pockets of people not jigging away to the tune (oh, and for those who think it makes a laughing stock of us, I noted that a substantial number of the other clubs featured both on MOTD and The Championship also use TH, so their fans are unlikely to criticise us are they?)

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 21 Nov 2006 11:18

Why can't we get rid of all the music. The only thing I might keep would be the video that is played before the game.

It would be nice to be able to talk to people before the game and at half time without having to shout. I wouldn't mind having to shout over genuine crowd noise. Historically, was the piped music brought in to suppress pre-game chants in an effort to try and calm the crowd ? And please get rid of the git who asks us to back the boys. At the moment we're making plenty of noise without anyone asking us to.
It would be great, if we were the only ground in the prem/football league that didn't use a PA (except in emergencies of course). Even the handing out of the pizza would have more suspense if it was done in silence.
We don't need to be told when to sing, and it's no surprise when the teams come out at 2 minutes to 3.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Nov 2006 11:32

Face it. Whatever the club do will be wrong.

They turn the music up, they get told to turn it down.

They turn the music down, they get told to turn it up.

(and over the years those arguments have taken place on here).

As the old saying goes - "you can't please all the people all the time". In my opinion it is better to please the majority and that is exactly what they are doing, until someone proves different.

199 posts