the pitch

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

the pitch

by Chaney » 03 Feb 2007 12:44

I was on holiday last week so I missed the Wigan game, for the first time I have just seen the highlights on sky, I am absolutely appalled at the state of our pitch, there doesn`t appear to be any grass on it and it just looked like a mud heap, for a premiership side this is unacceptable, are we the only side that lets a rugby team f*ck it up every other week?
Im told that the contract runs for another 3 years!! as far as Im concerned f*ck the contract, its OUR stadium and its OUR pitch, throw the egg chasers out at the end of the year :roll:

zac naloen

Re: the pitch

by zac naloen » 03 Feb 2007 12:44

Chaney I was on holiday last week so I missed the Wigan game, for the first time I have just seen the highlights on sky, I am absolutely appalled at the state of our pitch, there doesn`t appear to be any grass on it and it just looked like a mud heap, for a premiership side this is unacceptable, are we the only side that lets a rugby team f*ck it up every other week?
Im told that the contract runs for another 3 years!! as far as Im concerned f*ck the contract, its OUR stadium and its OUR pitch, throw the egg chasers out at the end of the year :roll:

It's got very little to do with the rugby players and everything to do with the insane weather we had last year.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 03 Feb 2007 12:49

zac naloen
Chaney I was on holiday last week so I missed the Wigan game, for the first time I have just seen the highlights on sky, I am absolutely appalled at the state of our pitch, there doesn`t appear to be any grass on it and it just looked like a mud heap, for a premiership side this is unacceptable, are we the only side that lets a rugby team f*ck it up every other week?

It's got very little to do with the rugby players and everything to do with the insane weather we had last year.

That excuse doesn't quite wash. Was Reading the only town to have insane weather last year?

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 03 Feb 2007 13:05

Rawlie19
zac naloen

That excuse doesn't quite wash. Was Reading the only town to have insane weather last year?

Reading isn't the only town suffering with a shit pitch.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 03 Feb 2007 13:14

Chaney I was on holiday last week so I missed the Wigan game, for the first time I have just seen the highlights on sky, I am absolutely appalled at the state of our pitch, there doesn`t appear to be any grass on it and it just looked like a mud heap

I thought there was a slight improvement from when we were talking about this before but it's still in a poor state. I remember the pitch invasion at the Derby game last season where it looked like it was bare from the stands but when on the pitch it looked much worse. The rugby must go :twisted:

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 28 Feb 2007 11:55

looked bad last night :(

Garry Mann

by Garry Mann » 28 Feb 2007 12:00

The goal mouth was just sand.
If you didn't have a rugby club playing there I'm pretty sure the pitch would have been re-laid over an international break.

So yes, the rugby side is to blame.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 28 Feb 2007 12:02

but the club would be in abit more financial trouble if it wasnt for the rugby. it was only the middle strip of the pitch and the corners....i recon its a drainage issue, dont forget it is built upon an old rubbish tip

hatrick_hero

by hatrick_hero » 28 Feb 2007 12:04

def agree about the rugby having to go! pitch looked shocking last night!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 28 Feb 2007 12:05

Sharpy but the club would be in abit more financial trouble if it wasnt for the rugby.

Surely the £2 million+ from the 5th round of the FA Cup is enough that we don't need the egg chasers any more.

hatrick_hero

by hatrick_hero » 28 Feb 2007 12:07

T.R.O.L.I.
Sharpy but the club would be in abit more financial trouble if it wasnt for the rugby.

Surely the £2 million+ from the 5th round of the FA Cup is enough that we don't need the egg chasers any more.

agreed

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 28 Feb 2007 12:07

I don't think finance is an issue anymore, how much are LI paying us to play every season, £300k if I remember correctly, therefore, the last 2 FA Cup games against Man Utd would pay for around 7 seasons rent.

Get shot and lets keep our pitch in the best nick possible. We play damn good football on what we've got, imagine what we can do on an immaculate pitch every other week.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 28 Feb 2007 12:07

The club has admitted there is a problem with the pitch, a combination of subsidence and compaction, mainly down the centre of the field. Some remedial work has already been undertaken but it did not look any better last night. I though Manure adapted to the conditions rather better than we did - the sticky conitions did not allow the ball to run and did not suit our play.

I assume that come the end of the season there will be major repairs and a replacement pitch installed.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 28 Feb 2007 12:09

what will it be like for the next home game!

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 28 Feb 2007 12:09

zac naloen
Chaney It's got very little to do with the rugby players and everything to do with the insane weather we had last year.

Are you telling me Manchester and Middlesbrough have had better weather than us ?

Both pitches were perfect and both teams don't have rugby on their pitch.

Assuming we're still in the Premiership, I don't expect the club to renew the current rugby contract.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Feb 2007 12:14

Scarface
zac naloen
Chaney It's got very little to do with the rugby players and everything to do with the insane weather we had last year.

Are you telling me Manchester and Middlesbrough have had better weather than us ?

Both pitches were perfect and both teams don't have rugby on their pitch.

Assuming we're still in the Premiership, I don't expect the club to renew the current rugby contract.

And Birmingham's is worse (even after being changed) despite not having rugby so hardly proof that rugby is to blame.

Fred Sharpe's Nose

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 28 Feb 2007 12:33

Stranded And Birmingham's is worse (even after being changed) despite not having rugby so hardly proof that rugby is to blame.

The rugby is not to blame. John Madejski is to blame, for not having the foresight to know that within ten years of building the MadStad, the club would be getting millions for playing Prem football and the pitch would be under scrutiny for UEFA games. Oh, and for being a gentleman and a businessman who honours contracts.

Hope that helps :wink:

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 28 Feb 2007 12:41

if the rugby goes, the club lose money.....yet another excuse for a price hike!!!..dont say i didnt warn ya!!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 28 Feb 2007 12:48

East Stand Ste if the rugby goes, the club lose money.....yet another excuse for a price hike!!!..dont say i didnt warn ya!!

The club don't need an excuse for a price hike, they will just do it anyway.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 28 Feb 2007 13:59

Does anyone know how easy it would be to re-lay the pitch, given that it has this expensive nylon fabric woven into it ?

From Wikipedia: Madejski Stadium -
The stadium cost more than £50m to build and the pitch incorporates a system of synthetic fibres interwoven with natural grass, installed at a cost of more than £250,000.
Last edited by Great Knolly on 28 Feb 2007 14:05, edited 1 time in total.