How many ST renewals?

Farnborough Royal

How many ST renewals?

by Farnborough Royal » 17 Apr 2007 17:07

how many sth do you think we'll have next season?

i dont think there will be as many as this season.

3-4000 not renewing perhaps.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 17 Apr 2007 17:13

Hope so, I want to get one next season, as I'm around for the whole season instead of having to miss out on the first 6 games.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 17 Apr 2007 17:31

Don't think that many will not renew, plus you have the list of ex hundred/thousand people on the list waiting for one

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Apr 2007 18:21

Agree with HP

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Apr 2007 18:32

Not so sure her. I know of some who aren't renewing, and I'm sure there'll be more - for lots of reasons.

- They've had the novelty of seeing the premiership teams now.

- It's still a lot of money and some peoples' circumstances may have changed.

- Some younger people who have gone up an age group may now be priced out.

- Some people are taking too seriously all the talk about "second season syndrome" and don't want to pay to watch a team that won't do well

- And some people realise that it's not that much fun being a fan in the Premier League - what with ever-changing kick-off times, officious stewards, high prices, access problems, etc, etc.

Not that many people who are long-term fans won't renew if they can still afford to - but this may well apply to quite a few of the newer / less dedicated fans who had a ST this season.

Champagne Royal

by Champagne Royal » 17 Apr 2007 19:20

We're keeping our 2 ST. It was touch and go if we could raise the cash again, but the little un loves the atmosphere, (He's only been coming with me 3 years) so not renewing wasn't an option.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Apr 2007 19:27

Plenty of people in the que to pick one up not wanted.

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 17 Apr 2007 20:16

my uncle will be getting a new season ticket, he had never been to a game in his life before this season and if we got relegated he'd stop supporting us because we're not in the premier league.
sad but true.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 17 Apr 2007 20:37

I am genuinely consdiering if it's worth the money and bother for next season, i certainly won't renew my away one. I will probably renew the home one.

Freddy
Hob Nob Regular

by Freddy » 17 Apr 2007 20:56

I have had a season ticket for around 10 years, and am seriously considering not bothering next year.

Some of that could be because I started going to watch Reading in Elm Park when my son was old enough to go, and it became a father/son thing, and I think that is drawing to an end.

However, I haven't been interested in Premiership football for a long time. I enjoyed Championship football (Div1 could be dire at times, admittedly!).

I don't know what it is, but it feels as if something is missing this year - soul maybe.

Not sure, but I do know I am not enjoying it in the same way I used to.

Being surrounded by people baying at the referee about a player being offside .. from a throw-in (!) .. doesn't help much either.

Bah, humbug. It just occurs to me that I could put that £1,000 (incl parking ticket) to better use.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Apr 2007 20:57

A lot of peopel feel the same way.

It's a sad fact that it's a lot harder, and a lot less fun, to be a fan in the Premier League than in any other league.

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 17 Apr 2007 21:15

Dirk Gently A lot of peopel feel the same way.

It's a sad fact that it's a lot harder, and a lot less fun, to be a fan in the Premier League than in any other league.

I prefer the uncertainty of the Football League, but being in the Premiership is good fun. However, I do get hacked off by the amount of people who are there for the opposition players, eg Ronaldo.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Apr 2007 21:34

Got my renewal form through the post today. All things considered, I probably will renew but I'm in no rush to fill it in. I'll give away games a miss and get another fix more locally, maybe Rochdale or Accrington in Div 2 or alternatively Halifax in the Conference. They could all do with the support.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 17 Apr 2007 21:54

Other reasons for not renewing

- you've died

- you've moved away

From 18,000 STh I reckon several hundred statistically could be in the first category and plenty more in the second.

I was told today there is a waitinig list of 16,000 for ST !!! I suspect the number is a bit less than that !

Would be quite surprised if we aren't still at 18k next season though, for everyone who moves away someone moves in. And maybe the deceased have passed their seat on in their will.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 18 Apr 2007 00:07

I am unlikely to renew my season ticket next year. One season of watching overpaid players who, barring a few exceptions, are really little better than championship squad members has probably been enough for me. I love football and I love Reading FC and I'm really struggling with this decision at the moment. There is little doubt in my mind that the sums of money pumped into the game now are obscene and I'm just not sure I want to carry on buying into that.

philM

by philM » 18 Apr 2007 08:15

Behindu I was told today there is a waitinig list of 16,000 for ST !!!

I don't understand where that number could come from, or how there can currently be a "waiting list". Last season there were more applications than STs and they were handed out on a points basis. I didn't think there were 16K extra applications, and even if there were they are not on a list as far as I know. Since then applications have been closed.

New applications can be made from 2nd July and will be allocated on a points basis again.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 Apr 2007 08:18

philM

I don't understand where that number could come from,

I know where it came from, but as I said, I think the person who mentioned it had got their figures a bit mixed up !

There was a waiting list and I know there were plenty of people on it who had no points and didn;t get the chance of buying one for this season.

philM

by philM » 18 Apr 2007 08:26

Behindu
philM

I don't understand where that number could come from,

I know where it came from, but as I said, I think the person who mentioned it had got their figures a bit mixed up !

There was a waiting list and I know there were plenty of people on it who had no points and didn;t get the chance of buying one for this season.

The cut-off was around 50 points I think last time, but I don't believe that they have kept a list of the unsucessful ones, and you need to reapply.

I just missed out last time, got 240 points now so very hopeful this time round :D

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 18 Apr 2007 09:14

Dirk Gently - It's still a lot of money and some peoples' circumstances may have changed.

That's my reason for not getting one.

working class hero

by working class hero » 18 Apr 2007 09:29

I am pondering over it. I enjoy football and have been a committed fan for years now. On the other hand I could enjoy football at Reading Town or Oxford for a lot less money - and access is easier, no hassle for away tickets and less of a rip off over catering etc.....

And I am still less than happy about paying £2500 for the family when there are many games that one or more have to miss. If there were a buyback scheme it would be a lot more realistic.

Still the club will easily replace folk like me. The crunch will come if relegation occurs and the less committed disappear. Cos I sure as hell will NOT be seen as a mug who will come to lower league games but then be priced out in the top flight.