Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Wimb » 21 Sep 2013 12:57

To be fair, wasn't the key element of the redesign of J11 to do with making it more public transport /pedestrian friendly? In that respect I think it's been a great success, as well as clearing the Mereoak bottlenecks that used to crop up every bloody morning.

That side point aside, agree with what Dirk has said really, it's not really economically viable unless the club were to become an established Premier LEague side and offered to front up a substantial part of the costs but I can't see that happening.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 28 Sep 2013 10:05

At this point i'd rather see the club work with the council to tart up the old bus station.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Sep 2013 18:33

Royal Ginger At this point i'd rather see the club work with the council to tart up the old bus station.

Before or after they knock it down ?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Sep 2013 20:58

Alexander Litvinenko
Green The expansion plans are now in place, does this mean the station is gonna be a goer :?:

Nope, it's completely unrelated to any stadium expansion plans. The station is dependent upon the resumption of the Green Park housing development.

No-one should get particular excited about the station when/if it ever happens. There'll be no special or additional trains provided for football or no way a train can wait for a game to end - it's just another stop on the existing line and that's all.

It's a station to serve houses at Green Park - the fact it happens to be close(ish) to a football ground is pure coincidence.

After the recent events with MR no it all actually not knowing much... Is this actually true?

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 01 Oct 2013 04:26

I would hazard a guess that on match days, FGW would try and double up trains from 2/3 to 5/6 coaches as on Saturdays they will have plenty of spare trains in various sidings that could be used (providing the platforms are long enough on this line).

To have a dedicated rail service to the ground, RFC would have to pay for it. And by it I mean a turn back facility (siding and signalling) as well as other operating costs to FGW.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 01 Oct 2013 06:25

What's the setup at Brighton's new ground Wiz, any idea?

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 01 Oct 2013 06:34

southbank1871 What's the setup at Brighton's new ground Wiz, any idea?

Shocking from what I've heard, although I've never been. There's no extra services provided, and most trains don't stop at Falmer station anyway.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 01 Oct 2013 08:40

Nameless
Royal Ginger At this point i'd rather see the club work with the council to tart up the old bus station.

Before or after they knock it down ?

On getting back from the Leeds game, where we had to queue round a makeshift roundabout of pigeon feces whilst waiting for the bus, I discovered a tweet from the club about how good all of the facilities are, which prompted a poorly spelled, drunken, angry email from me.

The club responded:

Thank you for your email. We have been in consultation with Reading Borough Council as well as Reading Station with regards to improving this area. The main issues highlighted where the lack of signage and lighting, which are to be improved asap.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 02 Oct 2013 19:40

Royal Ginger On getting back from the Leeds game, where we had to queue round a makeshift roundabout of pigeon feces whilst waiting for the bus, I discovered a tweet from the club about how good all of the facilities are, which prompted a poorly spelled, drunken, angry email from me.

I'd be more interested in your poorly spelt, drunken, angry email if you still have it.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 05 Oct 2013 23:29

Wizard I would hazard a guess that on match days, FGW would try and double up trains from 2/3 to 5/6 coaches as on Saturdays they will have plenty of spare trains in various sidings that could be used (providing the platforms are long enough on this line).

To have a dedicated rail service to the ground, RFC would have to pay for it. And by it I mean a turn back facility (siding and signalling) as well as other operating costs to FGW.

The frequency of service is 30 mins on this line if I'm right? The buses would probably would be still be the popular transport so I can't see how it would be more useful unless CrossCountry are willing to stop their services which I doubt.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 06 Oct 2013 01:44

Wizard I would hazard a guess that on match days, FGW would try and double up trains from 2/3 to 5/6 coaches as on Saturdays they will have plenty of spare trains in various sidings that could be used (providing the platforms are long enough on this line).

None of that is planned. This station is planned around the residential development of Green Park and nothing more - the fact there is a sports stadium nearby is pure coincidence and does not figure in the plans for it.

No extra services, no siding or ability the ability to makes trains wait, no extra carriages (platform will only be long enough for 3 carriages), no nothing extra.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Oct 2013 09:34

Provincial public transport planners in "missing a trick" shock.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 06 Oct 2013 14:52

Green Provincial public transport planners in "missing a trick" shock.

Not really. The extra revenue from the stadium will never be worth enough to make any other investment worthwhile, and I don't think it's transport planners making the decisions. Plus it's a fair old trek to the station, as shown below. ISTR it's reckoned that the only people who'd gain advantage from it are those who'd normally get a stopping train to Basingstoke - everyone else will find it quicker and easier to use the other methods of transport that already exist. That's a pretty small market.

And it's Prudential, owners of Green Park, who are paying for the station to be built, so they can sell houses in the residential development at GP.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 06 Oct 2013 21:38

Is the green park one you mention separate from the massive kennet meadows housing development that Prudential want? Cuz that aunt gonna happen for a long, long time. Of ever, hopefully

Stupid bloody place for a housing development and the council planners know it. The Pru can f*ck right off

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 06 Oct 2013 23:09

John Madejski's Wallet Is the green park one you mention separate from the massive kennet meadows housing development that Prudential want? Cuz that aunt gonna happen for a long, long time. Of ever, hopefully

Stupid bloody place for a housing development and the council planners know it. The Pru can f*ck right off

It's all tied in together. I think Kennet meadows is the whole scheme for 7500 houses, from various developers, of which the Green Park development is Prudential's share of it.

But I agree, I doubt it'll ever happen now, and therefore I doubt we'll ever see the Green Park station.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Oct 2013 12:01

I think there's life in the old dog yet. I'm not yet willing to abandon all hope.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 07 Oct 2013 12:11

Alexander Litvinenko
John Madejski's Wallet Is the green park one you mention separate from the massive kennet meadows housing development that Prudential want? Cuz that aunt gonna happen for a long, long time. Of ever, hopefully

It's all tied in together. I think Kennet meadows is the whole scheme for 7500 houses, from various developers, of which the Green Park development is Prudential's share of it.

But I agree, I doubt it'll ever happen now, and therefore I doubt we'll ever see the Green Park station.

By "Kennet Meadows" does this mean the big field that's two feet deep in water for months every other year? That doesn't sound like a sensible place to build houses.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Oct 2013 12:14

Sorting the drainage issues out would of course be a prerequisite but it's not a show stopper.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 07 Oct 2013 12:22

Yep, if the cloggies can build houses in what is, essentially, the sea then at the very least we should be able to bang out a Gentle Ben/Everglades knock off. IN! for powering round Kennet Meadows in one of those giant fan powered boats.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Oct 2013 12:27

They could run a shuttle from the station.

805 posts