Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Green » 24 Aug 2021 13:49

Dirk Gently Yep.

Except I think that the hype and expectation about this place means that four or five of carriages worth of people will turn up expecting to have all their transport problems solved and then some will end up on the frontpage of GetReading looking angry and pointing at the station sign when they realise the station isn't designed to cater for football traffic.

Yes I wonder if they may even restrict services on matchdays to stop this happening. Otherwise they may have to marshall the station to avoid overcrowding.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 24 Aug 2021 16:04

Hendo
Fox Talbot
Hendo Went through it on Saturday on the train from Basingstoke and it is indeed taking shape. Will hopefully be a really good option for match days and take some pressure off the roads.

I will have to work out the cost/time benefit compared with getting off the train at Reading and getting the bus v getting the train to Green Park as I usually come from London.

As a London Royal I'll be interested in your analysis. My starting position is the bus will be more flexible in time than a scheduled rail service and get you much nearer the stadium.

The big winners of GP are Tadley and Mortimer folk.

Agreed in the main, I am mostly thinking about midweek games where traffic can be a bit of a nightmare, rather than a Saturday as it'll be much easier to just get a train down at whatever time and have a few beers in town before jumping on the bus. If the trains line up nicely though it could be worth it.

Oh for sure, if I was still living in Tadley or Basingstoke I would 100% be getting the train, no doubt about it. I can imagine it would probably see an end to the bus which goes from Basingstoke and through Tadley, it might as well only go as far as Burghfield.

Could be a good option but coming from Tadley would still entail getting to Mortimer (or Bramley). If you're getting a lift (which we normally do) you may as well get dropped off at the Courage gates or the roundabout before the retail park like we do now.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 24 Aug 2021 22:16

Dave the rave
Hendo
Fox Talbot
As a London Royal I'll be interested in your analysis. My starting position is the bus will be more flexible in time than a scheduled rail service and get you much nearer the stadium.

Agreed in the main, I am mostly thinking about midweek games where traffic can be a bit of a nightmare, rather than a Saturday as it'll be much easier to just get a train down at whatever time and have a few beers in town before jumping on the bus. If the trains line up nicely though it could be worth it.

Oh for sure, if I was still living in Tadley or Basingstoke I would 100% be getting the train, no doubt about it. I can imagine it would probably see an end to the bus which goes from Basingstoke and through Tadley, it might as well only go as far as Burghfield.

Could be a good option but coming from Tadley would still entail getting to Mortimer (or Bramley). If you're getting a lift (which we normally do) you may as well get dropped off at the Courage gates or the roundabout before the retail park like we do now.

I'd check if the driver agrees with you tbf

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Aug 2021 13:20

This is certainly a positive draw for southern based fans for sure.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Aug 2021 15:46

Dirk Gently I'm still not conmvinced how useful this will be, except for a relatively small number of people, particularly those going to Basingstoke.

Only the two platforms, both on a main line (as used by Cross Country Trains) so there's no way trains can sit and wait for injury or extra time to finish, and I don't believe there'll be any extra services or carriages laid on by the TOC, so the first train after a match will be absolutley rammed and then it'll be a long wait for those who didn't get onto it.

And island platform with the provision of a shuttle to and from 'Ding would have been useful - this will be much less useful.

In train language I wouldn't call less than 30 minutes a long wait. I actually think this will really benefit football fans.

If I were to go to a home match I would go from Pangbourne, just get train into Reading, go for drinky poos and then get the Green Park train. Make the day a bit of an adventure.

I think it will lead to increased crowds with happy faced blue and white swathed hordes pouring out of regular trains and pressing forward purposefully towards the stadium with joy in their hearts.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 25 Aug 2021 16:23

tmesis
Dirk Gently I'm still not conmvinced how useful this will be, except for a relatively small number of people, particularly those going to Basingstoke.

Only the two platforms, both on a main line (as used by Cross Country Trains) so there's no way trains can sit and wait for injury or extra time to finish, and I don't believe there'll be any extra services or carriages laid on by the TOC, so the first train after a match will be absolutley rammed and then it'll be a long wait for those who didn't get onto it.

And island platform with the provision of a shuttle to and from 'Ding would have been useful - this will be much less useful.

Looking at the train times on a Saturday evening, they don't currently look great for anyone wanting to catch a train to Reading after the game - you'd be waiting until at least 5.30, it seems. You'd like to think they'd offer tickets giving you the option of arriving by train and returning by bus (or vice versa) but I doubt it.

See for me this would be an advantage, time for a post match drink. the shuttle buses are great if you want to head back into town straight away, but not brilliant if you want to have a post-match catchup with people who are heading in different directions.

Although I have walked across to get a bus from Basingstoke road, train would be handier.

a station and train times purely geared around football matches was never going to get the go-ahead - this is an additional, more flexible option - it means arrivals and departures to the ground can be spread across a wider range of times.

Yeah, obviously some people won't be happy, but honestly, I think some people wouldn't be happy unless they had a train arrive at their house and delivered them to wherever they wanted to go, for free.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 25 Aug 2021 16:25

Norfolk Royal happy faced blue and white swathed hordes pouring out of regular trains and pressing forward purposefully towards the stadium with joy in their hearts.

Let's not mention what is likely to be in their hearts on the return journey. Strongly suspect it wouldn't involve joy.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Aug 2021 12:40

muirinho
tmesis

Looking at the train times on a Saturday evening, they don't currently look great for anyone wanting to catch a train to Reading after the game - you'd be waiting until at least 5.30, it seems. You'd like to think they'd offer tickets giving you the option of arriving by train and returning by bus (or vice versa) but I doubt it.

See for me this would be an advantage, time for a post match drink. the shuttle buses are great if you want to head back into town straight away, but not brilliant if you want to have a post-match catchup with people who are heading in different directions.

Although I have walked across to get a bus from Basingstoke road, train would be handier.

a station and train times purely geared around football matches was never going to get the go-ahead - this is an additional, more flexible option - it means arrivals and departures to the ground can be spread across a wider range of times.

Yeah, obviously some people won't be happy, but honestly, I think some people wouldn't be happy unless they had a train arrive at their house and delivered them to wherever they wanted to go, for free.

I thought it had been said that extra services would be laid on for the football, however unlikely that may sound in practise.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 01 Sep 2021 11:03

Green
Dave the rave
Hendo

I'd check if the driver agrees with you tbf

I get my dad to take us/pick up so I think he's pretty ok with it :wink:

It's usually a lift for my mum, my boy and me. The old man has nothing else to do at his age.

Could be good in the future, even just for the novelty, if he's unable to drive but it still entails a lift from Tadley. If you've driven to Mortimer then it's not much of an ask to carry on to the M4.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 03 Mar 2022 15:34

Drone footage of how the station is coming along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZuhGyzKSs

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 04 Mar 2022 07:55

Looks good with the development around it, but who would want one of those crappy lakeside homes, in the middle of a business park? Half a mill or more for that!

As for the station - that's a walk and a half to the ground, or appears so.

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 04 Mar 2022 13:29

PATRIQT Looks good with the development around it, but who would want one of those crappy lakeside homes, in the middle of a business park? Half a mill or more for that!

As for the station - that's a walk and a half to the ground, or appears so.

About 10 mins as I used to park where they are building the station and walk across. Quite a pleasant walk through Green Park then up the stairs at the far side of the gravel car park at the SCL.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 Jul 2022 10:33

Open by the end of the year (allegedly)

https://media.reading.gov.uk/news/green ... rk+Station

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Nov 2022 07:54

Delayed yet again till next spring, but don`t hold your breath, you couldn`t make it up.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Nov 2022 08:25

windermereROYAL Delayed yet again till next spring, but don`t hold your breath, you couldn`t make it up.

I mean, it is pretty much par for the course for big National Rail projects.

I'd be filing this in "not very surprising news".

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Nov 2022 15:57

Dave the rave
Hendo
Fox Talbot

Plenty from Tadley way park on the road bridge at the back of Green Park and walk through to the stadium, They avoid all the traffic heading home as well. Might be an option for you as a drop off.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 11 Nov 2022 13:39

Forbury Lion
Dave the rave
Hendo

Plenty from Tadley way park on the road bridge at the back of Green Park and walk through to the stadium, They avoid all the traffic heading home as well. Might be an option for you as a drop off.

Thanks Forbs. Unfortunately my old man used to do the dropping off but his COPD has caught up with him to the extent that he is bound to his oxygen these days :cry:
Went on the bus the other day which was a top experience. It always was a good option but it's run by Newbury buses now so a plusher ride. Won't find me driving to games. I do like a beer :wink:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Dec 2022 22:15

Hendo
windermereROYAL Delayed yet again till next spring, but don`t hold your breath, you couldn`t make it up.

I mean, it is pretty much par for the course for big National Rail projects.

I'd be filing this in "not very surprising news".

We're not talking cross rail here, rather an additional halt on an existing line. I think scrutiny is fair, Hendo.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 23 Feb 2023 12:45

Had a spare half-hour this morning whilst waiting for the tip to open, so thought I'd see how it's looking. Parked at the SCL, and from the Megastore to the station, it's 0.85 miles / 14 minutes walk. Quite pleasant ramble through Green Park, despite the season. The station is still un-open / fenced off. There's a pretty handy Tesco Express opposite it too, that they're just finishing off.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 24 Feb 2023 10:51

Which route did you take when leaving the stadium?

805 posts