Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Royalshow

by Royalshow » 12 Dec 2007 17:02

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=5832

Nothing special really but things are moving foward.Just found pictures of the station as well!!

http://www.prparchitects.co.uk/press/news/2007/ReadingGreenParkstation

Royalshow

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Royalshow » 04 Feb 2008 18:14

The final hurdle

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Arti ... cleID=6178
new private railway station will be built in southern Calcot after West Berkshire Council approved plans

CONSTRUCTION work on a new private railway station in the eastern part of the district will start later this year after the plans received the final approval.
Developer PRUPIM, on behalf of insurance giant Prudential, will build the railway station on Kirtons Farm Road in southern Calcot.
The station will be built on the Reading to Basingstoke railway line, and it will serve people working at the nearby GreenPark business park.
The plans were approved by West Berkshire Council last week, after Reading Borough Council and the Government gave the green light to the station last year.
Business Park development director for PRUPIM Tim Davis said: “This is fantastic news.
“This final green light means that construction work should be able to start in late spring of this year.”
The developer is also hoping to build over 700 new homes at GreenPark Village and these plans will be considered by Reading Borough Council in March.
The developer is also scheduled to unveil its plans for a new mini-town on the western side of the Reading to Basingstoke railway line later this year.
Prudential wants to build 7,500 houses on the flood plain on the northern side of the M4.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 04 Feb 2008 19:32

so it is to be a private railway station, does this bode well for football traffic, somehow I doubt it.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 04 Feb 2008 19:57

The 17 Bus so it is to be a private railway station, does this bode well for football traffic, somehow I doubt it.

yeah only the magic train stops there which leaves from platform 1E

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 05 Feb 2008 13:00

Royalshow Prudential wants to build 7,500 houses on the flood plain on the northern side of the M4.

That really doesn't sound like a good idea.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 05 Feb 2008 13:04

Absolutely no acknowledgment of servicing football/rugby crowds then?

O'h dear.

Building houses on flood plains?

O'h dear.

You know how much money these people get paid to come up with these ideas?

Skyline

by Skyline » 05 Feb 2008 13:39

Royalshow Prudential wants to build 7,500 houses on the flood plain on the northern side of the M4.

Anybody else see the irony in a large insurance company wanting to build homes on a flood plain, when it's the insurance industry that's been amongst the most strident in opposition to such plans?

OK, I know the Pru's insurance operations are primarily in life assurance rather than home insurance, but it still looks distinctly odd.

Reading Til I Die
Location: Anywhere there's a cold pint with a voluptuous barmaid!

by Reading Til I Die » 05 Feb 2008 14:31

The way things are going at the Prudential I expect them to get very heavily involved in the New Homes/Affordable Homes market.

They're shipping all there work to existing pensions servicing work India, the call centres are in India and they're closing offices they have in Scotland. On top of that the Reading offices will only hold about 100-200 UK-based employees throughout the whole business in a few months

At the same time they're buying huge amounts of land in and around the Reading area.

Prudential Estate Agents?

Cheers
RTID

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 05 Feb 2008 14:50

To continue OT - Prudential also own the old TRL site in Crowthorne & plan to turn that into 1000 homes.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Feb 2008 18:41

Except that it will no longer be a flood plain as they have managed to make a lake south of the M4 for the water to go.

Lower Earley used to be a flood plain, but thats ok, it is all down to how water is managed.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Feb 2008 20:01

The 17 Bus so it is to be a private railway station, does this bode well for football traffic, somehow I doubt it.
how does a private railway station differ from the rest of the privately owned rail network?

It's not as if they'll provide their own trains, and nor would they turn away custom, I'd imagine.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Feb 2008 20:06

No more than thewy would stop football fans parking on their nice office park.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 05 Feb 2008 20:41

It means the station has been privately funded compared with the majority of other rail projects which are funded by Network rail and the government. It's not rocket science people.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 Feb 2008 21:59

The Surgeon of Crowthorne To continue OT - Prudential also own the old TRL site in Crowthorne & plan to turn that into 1000 homes.

No they don't - that's Legal and General.

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 06 Feb 2008 09:54

Platypuss
The Surgeon of Crowthorne To continue OT - Prudential also own the old TRL site in Crowthorne & plan to turn that into 1000 homes.

Ah - oops. Memory failing me again. I felt sure it was the Pru.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 06 Feb 2008 10:05

Platypuss

Ah - oops. Memory failing me again. I felt sure it was the Pru.

http://www.crowthorneconsultation.co.uk/

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 06 Feb 2008 13:33

The 17 Bus Except that it will no longer be a flood plain as they have managed to make a lake south of the M4 for the water to go.

Lower Earley used to be a flood plain, but thats ok, it is all down to how water is managed.

well, when I cycled from town last Saturday there was quite a big lake by the side of Rose Kiln lane; it looked quite attractive :)

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 07 Feb 2008 12:47

The original planning application also referred to the construction of a cycle path (no, not a psychopath, we've got enough of those already) connecting the new station and the existing cycle paths adjacent to the A33, IIRC. It also stated that this path would double up as a footpath to accommodate the crowds when the Mad Stad is open.

From what I can make out, only the Reading - Basingstoke half-hourly trains will be calling there. I don't know what plans First Great Western may have to strengthen these services on match days.

Symposium

by Symposium » 07 Feb 2008 20:17

Skyline

Anybody else see the irony in a large insurance company wanting to build homes on a flood plain, when it's the insurance industry that's been amongst the most strident in opposition to such plans?

OK, I know the Pru's insurance operations are primarily in life assurance rather than home insurance, but it still looks distinctly odd.

Nope. Prudential don't do general insurance at all any more. They sold their general insurance business (i.e. home insurance and car insurance) to Churchill a few years ago.

Symposium

by Symposium » 07 Feb 2008 20:23

Reading Til I Die The way things are going at the Prudential I expect them to get very heavily involved in the New Homes/Affordable Homes market.

They're shipping all there work to existing pensions servicing work India, the call centres are in India and they're closing offices they have in Scotland. On top of that the Reading offices will only hold about 100-200 UK-based employees throughout the whole business in a few months

At the same time they're buying huge amounts of land in and around the Reading area.

Prudential Estate Agents?

Cheers
RTID

Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument. Pensions servicing is still taking place in the UK. Prudential aren't closing any offices in Scotland, they're only got one, near Stirling, which they're planning to expand. Your comment on the Reading offices is also incorrect. They're outsourcing 750 Reading-based jobs to Capita, but that will still leave 750 Reading-based staff employed by Prudential.

Yes, I do work for Prudential, but I don't have any particular loyalty. My job is one of the jobs moving to Capita...

805 posts