Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
jonboy29red

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by jonboy29red » 11 Feb 2008 21:49

green park will have its station building work due to start in spring acording to ep tonight

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 05 Mar 2008 16:31

Any progress?

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 05 Mar 2008 19:34

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 05 Mar 2008 20:07

Looking at the pictures, it appears to be a great place to go to meet fit birds.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 07 Mar 2008 20:26

In a similar way that Wemberly trains operate, do you think a special shuttle train be provided on match days, only travelling from Reading central to Green Park?

g

by g » 07 Mar 2008 22:24

Royalshow

how many suns do we have :shock:

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 13 Mar 2008 23:32

cheeryoleary In a similar way that Wemberly trains operate, do you think a special shuttle train be provided on match days, only travelling from Reading central to Green Park?

No - there are no changes to the track and signalling being made, simply the construction of a station next to the existing railway lines. So, there is no facility for a train to turn round and head back towards Reading. The basic service will be the half-hourly Reading to Basingstoke train. I am uncertain how they propose to operate any additional trains (other than by running them all the way to Basingstoke to come back again).

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 15 Mar 2008 12:01

Upper West Ginger
cheeryoleary In a similar way that Wemberly trains operate, do you think a special shuttle train be provided on match days, only travelling from Reading central to Green Park?

No - there are no changes to the track and signalling being made, simply the construction of a station next to the existing railway lines. So, there is no facility for a train to turn round and head back towards Reading. The basic service will be the half-hourly Reading to Basingstoke train. I am uncertain how they propose to operate any additional trains (other than by running them all the way to Basingstoke to come back again).

I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible to run an extra train that just went to from the station to the stadium (possibly stopping at Reading west as well to pick up) that just came back along the same line. It wouldn't be able to pick up passengers coming back, but that wouldn't be a problem. Whether they'd think it worthwhile is a different matter.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 17 Mar 2008 19:21

Rev Algenon Stickleback H I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible to run an extra train that just went to from the station to the stadium (possibly stopping at Reading west as well to pick up) that just came back along the same line. It wouldn't be able to pick up passengers coming back, but that wouldn't be a problem. Whether they'd think it worthwhile is a different matter.

Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate will not permit un-signalled wrong-direction movements of this nature. It would also create total havoc with the timetable.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 17 Mar 2008 19:56

Upper West Ginger
Rev Algenon Stickleback H I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible to run an extra train that just went to from the station to the stadium (possibly stopping at Reading west as well to pick up) that just came back along the same line. It wouldn't be able to pick up passengers coming back, but that wouldn't be a problem. Whether they'd think it worthwhile is a different matter.

Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate will not permit un-signalled wrong-direction movements of this nature.

I couldn't possibly comment on the number of wrong side signalling errors that occur every month...

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Mar 2008 22:42

Row Z Royal
Upper West Ginger

Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate will not permit un-signalled wrong-direction movements of this nature.

I couldn't possibly comment on the number of wrong side signalling errors that occur every month...

....and that is the point really - they are errors. The poster said that it would not be permitted by the Inspectorate; which implies (quite strongly) that it could not be a planned action, I think.

What is unclear is how far up or down the line they would have to go before being able to cross over to the 'right side' to return to Reading. Is there no cross over facility anywhere along that line?

It would also be interesting to see market research on which end of the line might produce the most custom (ie starting at Reading, or from the Basingstoke direction). It would nice to think that First would be looking at that now to ascertain the potential for an additional run or 2 during the build up to and immediately after a game. If the costs were justified by the potential cash returns then it would not be unreasonable to assume they'd do it for purely business reasons.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 18 Mar 2008 14:59

Upper West Ginger

Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate will not permit un-signalled wrong-direction movements of this nature. It would also create total havoc with the timetable.

Do you know for sure that any signalling changes would need to be made to allow a train to cross over in a manner acceptable to her Majesty's railway Inspectorate? Drop people off in the station, run half a mile down the line and then legally shunt across onto the other line and run back to reading? do the same again at 5 pm, but this time stop in the station on the return journey to pick people up?

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 18 Mar 2008 17:16

weybridgewanderer
Upper West Ginger

Do you know for sure that any signalling changes would need to be made to allow a train to cross over in a manner acceptable to her Majesty's railway Inspectorate? Drop people off in the station, run half a mile down the line and then legally shunt across onto the other line and run back to reading? do the same again at 5 pm, but this time stop in the station on the return journey to pick people up?

You need the cross-over rails to be able to do this, of course. I'm sad enough to have looked along the line on Google Maps, and there's a cross-over just south of Reading West, but there isn't another until at least Mortimer, where I got bored.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Mar 2008 17:18

Most boring thread ever

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 18 Mar 2008 17:25

Huntley & Palmer Most boring thread ever

Harsh. I think you've crossed the line.

The Cube

by The Cube » 19 Mar 2008 16:11

Rhys The Royal Any progress?

And now for my normal contribution to this topic. Remembered to look out the train window this morning and there is no sign of station-building or approach work on either side of the line.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Mar 2008 19:28

Dead ducks, dodos and white Elephants are starting to form an orderly queue just north of Mortimer........................

Whilst I have no doubt that, sometime in the not too distant future we will start to see the beginnings of a new station at Green Park, the chances of it ever being of much use to Reading fans on match days seems as remote as ever.

Using some of the thousands of empty parking spaces that lie between this much anticipated new facility and the Mad Stad has only ever required permission from the blinkered owners of Green Park, yet nearly a decade since we moved from EP, I am one of a very small number of fans who are lucky enough to enjoy this privilege.

Sorry, but I think there's more chance of flying pigs dive-bombing Lime Square than a train service being provided that will be worth using on matchdays, especially considering the station is going to be three quarters of a mile from the Mad Stad.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 19 Mar 2008 20:18

Woodcote Royal Dead ducks, dodos and white Elephants are starting to form an orderly queue just north of Mortimer........................

Whilst I have no doubt that, sometime in the not too distant future we will start to see the beginnings of a new station at Green Park, the chances of it ever being of much use to Reading fans on match days seems as remote as ever.

Using some of the thousands of empty parking spaces that lie between this much anticipated new facility and the Mad Stad has only ever required permission from the blinkered owners of Green Park, yet nearly a decade since we moved from EP, I am one of a very small number of fans who are lucky enough to enjoy this privilege.

Sorry, but I think there's more chance of flying pigs dive-bombing Lime Square than a train service being provided that will be worth using on matchdays, especially considering the station is going to be three quarters of a mile from the Mad Stad.

It's only a 15-20 minute walk.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 19 Mar 2008 21:01

Rhys The Royal
Woodcote Royal Dead ducks, dodos and white Elephants are starting to form an orderly queue just north of Mortimer........................

It's only a 15-20 minute walk.

I don't think this is the case.Many people living in Basingstoke or within a 15 minute drive of Mortimer or Bramely will find it extremly useful.A short walk to Reading West or Central,a 5 minute train ride and a 15/20 walk at the other end seems much more appealing then a traffic ridden drive and expensive parking and delays.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Mar 2008 03:02

Sorry, I'm sure that it will be of use to some of those coming up from the south but not as a mass transit from Reading town centre ................................which seems to be the main consideration when discussing it's viability.

805 posts