805 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2019 17:22

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hendo
:| When it costs £2 return from the station, anyone not using the bus when coming from town is a bit of a weirdo.

When did they halve their prices then?

Not sure but definitely last season and this season.

Impressed. Still prefer the walk tbh.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Nov 2019 10:18

Great news for Basingstoke Royals fans.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Nov 2019 11:50

Elm Park Kid For people travelling from the town centre and back - does this provide any real benefit over the bus?
It might be cheaper if you're travelling to Reading by train, assuming "Reading or Reading West" on the ticket becomes "Reading, Reading West or Green Park".
If you are a regular commuter in or out of Reading on GWR and have a season ticket, it might result in free travel to/from games.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Nov 2019 17:55

Forbury Lion
Elm Park Kid For people travelling from the town centre and back - does this provide any real benefit over the bus?
It might be cheaper if you're travelling to Reading by train, assuming "Reading or Reading West" on the ticket becomes "Reading, Reading West or Green Park".

Does it? Where has this been announced?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Nov 2019 18:50

I would think it would greatly benefit supporters from Basingstoke and stations between there and here, not so for Reading based fans with an excellent bus service that drops you right outside the ground.
Not sure if Reading buses would consider a shuttle service from the new station, I would think that would depend on usage.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Nov 2019 09:22

Green
Forbury Lion

I used the words might and assuming...... no idea yet what the situation will be. I doubt any random rocking up to Reading station will get to Green Park for free, but if you're travelling from say Paddington to Green Park you may find it's the same price as Paddington to Reading... all pure speculation at this stage.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 14 Nov 2019 16:50

Forbury Lion
Green
Forbury Lion It might be cheaper if you're travelling to Reading by train, assuming "Reading or Reading West" on the ticket becomes "Reading, Reading West or Green Park".

I used the words might and assuming...... no idea yet what the situation will be. I doubt any random rocking up to Reading station will get to Green Park for free, but if you're travelling from say Paddington to Green Park you may find it's the same price as Paddington to Reading... all pure speculation at this stage.

Speculation based on what though, is there a precedent for this?

Just seems incredibly unlikely to me - the train companies would be foregoing revenue.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 14 Nov 2019 18:27

Green
Forbury Lion
Green Does it? Where has this been announced?

Just seems incredibly unlikely to me - the train companies would be foregoing revenue.

Presumably based on prices to Reading and Reading West being the same. But they are of course much closer together than Green Park would be.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Nov 2019 09:13

muirinho
Green
Forbury Lion I used the words might and assuming...... no idea yet what the situation will be. I doubt any random rocking up to Reading station will get to Green Park for free, but if you're travelling from say Paddington to Green Park you may find it's the same price as Paddington to Reading... all pure speculation at this stage.

Presumably based on prices to Reading and Reading West being the same. But they are of course much closer together than Green Park would be.

Could equally be more.

Cambridge to Reading £46
Reading to Theale £4
Cambridge to Theale £58

:|

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Nov 2019 17:09

Snowflake Royal
muirinho
Green Speculation based on what though, is there a precedent for this?

Could equally be more.

Cambridge to Reading £46
Reading to Theale £4
Cambridge to Theale £58

Rail pricing is bonkers. This website shouldn't exist.

https://www.splitticketing.co.uk/

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 18 Nov 2019 10:07

Snowflake Royal
muirinho
Green Speculation based on what though, is there a precedent for this?

Could equally be more.

Cambridge to Reading £46
Reading to Theale £4
Cambridge to Theale £58

Yes the Reading / Reading West (see also Farnborough Main / North) are an exception rather than the rule. To suggest this should extend to a third station further out of town is truly without precedent. Not quite sure what this lot are smoking tbh.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 18 Nov 2019 11:38

Have there ever been calls for Earley or Tilehurst stations to be rezoned?

No, didn't think so.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 18 Nov 2019 11:38

I probably need to let this go.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Nov 2019 13:27

Green I probably need to let this go.

+1 :-)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Nov 2019 11:18

Green
Forbury Lion
Green Does it? Where has this been announced?

It works both ways, anyone travelling from Newbury or Basingstoke to Green Park would still pay the same as they currently do to get to Reading.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 19 Nov 2019 12:59

Give it a rest Forbes

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 19 Nov 2019 17:03

Hendo

I would doubt it, the bus service is great, if hampered a bit by evening traffic on night games.

Would be quite beneficial for those travelling from Reading West, Mortimer, Bramley or Basingstoke though. Basingstoke does have the bus service but it’s a bit expense, it’s a shit Stagecoach bus and it takes ages.

Isn't the Basingstoke bus about a fiver return?
Picked it up a few years back from Tadley and it was ok.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Nov 2019 17:06

Dave the rave
Hendo

I would doubt it, the bus service is great, if hampered a bit by evening traffic on night games.

Would be quite beneficial for those travelling from Reading West, Mortimer, Bramley or Basingstoke though. Basingstoke does have the bus service but it’s a bit expense, it’s a shit Stagecoach bus and it takes ages.

Yeah, it was about that, somewhere between £5 - £6 but for what it was I didn't think it was great value.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Nov 2019 08:45

Hendo
Dave the rave
Hendo

Yeah, it was about that, somewhere between £5 - £6 but for what it was I didn't think it was great value.

And what was it? A return bus service from Basingstoke via Tadley? What were you expecting?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Nov 2019 09:28

Green
Hendo
Dave the rave

And what was it? A return bus service from Basingstoke via Tadley? What were you expecting?

Something other than a 25 year old bus that could actually run on time.

805 posts