London Irish. WHY???

228 posts
loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Coppell blames it on the..................

by loyalroyal4life » 16 Mar 2009 21:02

GRASS!!! THOUGHT HE DOESNT LOOK FOR EXCUSES. HE ALSO SAYS DONNY ARE PLAYING THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE SINCE XMAS!! :shock:

Coppell longs for greener grass as Reading trip up at home again

• Players struggling with conditions at Madejski Stadium
• Manager looks forward to four weeks on the road

The clocks will have gone forward and the grass will be growing properly again by the time Reading are next at home in four weeks' time, and Steve Coppell is quite happy about both of those things.

Nine games to go with six of them on the road suit the manager after a week that saw Reading take one point from six on the threadbare, muddy pitch they share with London Irish rugby team and as a consequence slip seven points behind Birmingham in second place.

Coppell refused to use the surface as an excuse for Reading's third defeat in four home games but he was honest enough to highlight the differences with early season. "It's the same for both sides but when you play on a pitch every two weeks you're aware of its bobbliness," he said.

"I watched a couple of videos of us playing earlier in the season and we pinged the ball because there was like a hover-cushion on the surface but now it bobbles, so it's slow getting there and when it gets there, you've got to control it. If you're turning up and playing on it once every six months, you cope with it .

"The last thing I wanted this week was two home games one after the other," he added. "We are not a force at home in this run and from February onwards we've been less than average."

Ipswich's manager, Jim Magilton, has had two away games in a row and taken four points from trips to Wolves and Reading without conceding a goal but he still feels they are the teams who will be automatically promoted and is pointing his players towards the play-offs. One of those will be the forward Giovani dos Santos, who arrived on loan from Spurs and was given 20 minutes at the end.

"John Gorman [assistant manager] made a phone call and we asked was there anyone who needed games. Giovani did and it happened really quick. It's a real coup for us," Magilton said.

Coppell started two of his own loanees, Dave Kitson and Glen Little, who arrived from Stoke and Portsmouth respectively last week, and they were joined by the recalled Marcus Hahnemann. However, they never looked like scoring. It fell to Jon Stead to hook in Tommy Miller's cross to give Ipswich the lead.

Coppell, in his 999th game as a manager, admitted his side were so bereft of form he had no idea what his best team was and this morning finds himself ­preparing to visit Doncaster tomorrow to meet a side he feels are playing the "best in this league since Christmas". On the plus side Rovers play on grass.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/16/championship-reading-ipswich-town-steve-coppell

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Coppell blames it on the..................

by Terminal Boardom » 16 Mar 2009 21:06

Boogie?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 16 Mar 2009 21:07

Terminal Boardom Boogie?

Woogie?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

London Irish. WHY???

by Terminal Boardom » 16 Mar 2009 21:14

Apologies if this has been covered by threads elsewhere but I can't be arsed to look for them.

Why do we have London Irish at the Mad Stad? How much is it really worth to the club year on year? Is it more than we would get from a run in the top flight?

Is it worth demonstrating against them being here?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: London Irish. WHY???

by Row Z Royal » 16 Mar 2009 21:17

Club Policies.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 16 Mar 2009 21:28

And with Coppell stating the pitch is now affecting the team / games we play ............

Doyler

by Doyler » 16 Mar 2009 21:37

I have season tickets for both, and at the moment I prefer going to the rugby tbf. Better than the utter tosh Reading served up on Saturday.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 16 Mar 2009 21:45

I don't understand the game.
Watching big, hot, sweaty men jumping on each other for a weirdly-shaped ball doesn't appeal.

RichieBowman

by RichieBowman » 16 Mar 2009 21:52

london Irish ...... i cant understand why any one in the Thames Valley would want to watch a team from London playing in Reading. Should be supporting local clubs. Teams like Henley Hawks who have really suffered with the introduction of Wasps and London Irish to the area.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 16 Mar 2009 21:58

Oh, and I want them to be called Reading Irish if they are to play at the Mad Stad. :evil:

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 16 Mar 2009 22:11

I know the club went to great lengths in a recent programme to disprove the idea that the Rugby has a detrimental affect on the pitch, but I just don't buy it - strikes me that they doth protestest too much.

It stands to reason that 30, 15 stone blokes throwing themselves all over the pitch every other week during the winter months must harm the pitch. The scrummages alone must muller it.

I also know that there's nothing that can be done as we're tied in to some ludicrouly long deal intil 2026 or something stupid. No wonder that we have to resort to using air really, we must have the worst playing surface in the Championship which has to affect any kind of passing game.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 16 Mar 2009 22:15

Why London Irish...................simple........money, money,money. No London Irish and if we were in the top flight that would be JM's worst nightmare....oh those wages, transfer fees, bonuses........come back Irish and the Championship ....all is forgiven.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 16 Mar 2009 22:17

SteveRoyal I don't understand the game.
Watching big, hot, sweaty men jumping on each other for a weirdly-shaped ball doesn't appeal.

Yeah but whats your view about rugby

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Mar 2009 22:26

I believe it's worth around a million pounds a season for Irish to play at the Mad Stad penauts in Premiership terms. But a lot for a championship club, which is what we are.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 16 Mar 2009 22:31

He doesn't blame poor performances on players though, does he?
He has to blame someone/something.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Mar 2009 07:36

Has anyone come up with a convincing reason why it has taken 10 years for the rugby to affect the pitch ?

Obviously any use is going to increase wear and tear on the surface but it's had two team using it for years - Irish didn't move in last August !

One thing does confuse me. The areas of worst wear are the goal areas (not a lot we can do about that) and the area where the keepers warm up. This is always on the west side of the goal and has created big bare patches. Why do they not alternate the warm up area ?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 17 Mar 2009 09:02

The stare of the pitch was called 'second season syndrome' due to the fact (apparently) that a newly laid pitch takes it's second year to mature and come into its own. The weather, football and rugby have added to the issues involved in a bare pitch.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Mar 2009 12:15

The rugby has no deterimental affect to the pitch - the reason it looks poor at the moment is down to the particularly cold and wet winter we've just had.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 17 Mar 2009 12:23

Stranded The rugby has no deterimental affect to the pitch - the reason it looks poor at the moment is down to the particularly cold and wet winter we've just had.

I think you will find cold and wet weather is quite common during the winter months.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Mar 2009 12:40

Jackson Corner
Stranded The rugby has no deterimental affect to the pitch - the reason it looks poor at the moment is down to the particularly cold and wet winter we've just had.

I think you will find cold and wet weather is quite common during the winter months.

Well duh...

I'll also think you'll find we've just had one of the coldest winters for quite a few years - if rugby had has much of an affect on the surface as people would like to believe then we'd see the pitch look as bad this year every year - it hasn't.

228 posts