England - the future....

3599 posts
6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by 6ft Kerplunk » 25 May 2021 09:54

Yep, or it always used to be. Hence Gazza going off on one at La Manga when Hoddle left him out of the 98 world cup squad.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2021 10:27

NathStPaul
URZZZZ Provisional squad > 26 set to be named tomorrow

Will be trimmed down by Tuesday 2nd June

Don’t think that’s a bad idea

Shows Southgate up for what he is, indecisive and not strong enough to make a tough decision. The squad picks itself.

I don’t think it does at all - still a fair few contentious calls

Saying that, not sure how much more he’ll be able to know about the players in a week - unless part of it is waiting to see on the injured players who have just returned

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2021 10:28

Hendo Thought naming a bigger squad and then trimming it down was par for the course for a big tournament? Happens all the time, doesn't it?

I don’t think so, sometimes perhaps

Was originally meant to be the 26 man squad announced today though so left it a bit late to change that initial plan

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2021 13:11

You’ve got to feel for Bamford to not make a 33 man squad given how well he’s played this season

Even feel a bit sorry for Dier who’s gone from a regular each week to not making an extended squad, even if he really isn’t very good

Squad looks OK but as ever, a real lack of plan B there, which was part of our downfall last time. Watkins is OK but isn’t exactly going to be someone who strikes fear into the opposition

Would guess the 7 to drop out will be:

Ramsdale
Coady
James
White/Godfrey
Phillips
Lingard
Watkins

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 May 2021 13:14

Not sure that group of midfielders is good enough to win a major tournament really.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 May 2021 13:21

Pleased to see Dier finally get dropped. Agree midfield is a concern, particularly with Henderson's fitness. Rice, Phillips and Ward-Prowse are the only other 3 who play a bit deeper, unless to trust Mount or Bellingham playing in a deeper role (in which case it would be the sort of bravery I'd love to see from Southgate more often).

There are undoubtedly stronger squads out there, but this is not a bad side to be honest.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 May 2021 13:24

URZZZZ You’ve got to feel for Bamford to not make a 33 man squad given how well he’s played this season

Even feel a bit sorry for Dier who’s gone from a regular each week to not making an extended squad, even if he really isn’t very good

Squad looks OK but as ever, a real lack of plan B there, which was part of our downfall last time. Watkins is OK but isn’t exactly going to be someone who strikes fear into the opposition

Ramsdale
Coady
James
White/Godfrey
Phillips
Lingard
Watkins

26 are allowed, so only 4 need to go.

I'd drop Ramsdale, White, Coady and one of the right backs (it will be harsh on whichever right back misses out, but a dodgy few months does not change the fact that TAA is one of our most talented players and undroppable).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2021 13:29

WestYorksRoyal
URZZZZ You’ve got to feel for Bamford to not make a 33 man squad given how well he’s played this season

Ramsdale
Coady
James
White/Godfrey
Phillips
Lingard
Watkins

I'd drop Ramsdale, White, Coady and one of the right backs (it will be harsh on whichever right back misses out, but a dodgy few months does not change the fact that TAA is one of our most talented players and undroppable).

Nope, thought I read that Southgate was doing a 30 man provisional squad, but he’s called 33 up so still needs to be 7 dropping out

Phillips doesn’t offer anywhere near enough for me in an England shirt, even if he is superb for Leeds, as it’s two contrasting styles of play and tempo, so would be one of the first to drop out for me

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 May 2021 13:38

URZZZZ
WestYorksRoyal

Ramsdale
Coady
James
White/Godfrey
Phillips
Lingard
Watkins

Nope, thought I read that Southgate was doing a 30 man provisional squad, but he’s called 33 up so still needs to be 7 dropping out

Phillips doesn’t offer anywhere near enough for me in an England shirt, even if he is superb for Leeds, as it’s two contrasting styles of play and tempo, so would be one of the first to drop out for me

Hadn't noticed. Agree on Phillips and Watkins, but Lingard is in great form and has experience on the big stage. I'm not sure Greenwood has kicked on enough this year and done enough to justify his inclusion. He's still only 19, so will get more opportunities.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2021 13:41

genome Not sure that group of midfielders is good enough to win a major tournament really.

Grealish, Foden and Mount are a good trio, even if fairly similar
Henderson is a decent player too

Adapt to the opposition, so Rice in against tougher teams, another attacker in against teams we need to take the initiative against, don’t want to be carrying passengers to the team who don’t contribute enough

As ever and a general theme I mentioned with the Reading side, genuine lack of wingers in the squad, just a bunch of inside forwards or whatever they’re classified as nowadays. In Southgate’s defence here, there is a lack of them around

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2021 13:44

WestYorksRoyal
URZZZZ
WestYorksRoyal 26 are allowed, so only 4 need to go.

Hadn't noticed. Agree on Phillips and Watkins, but Lingard is in great form and has experience on the big stage. I'm not sure Greenwood has kicked on enough this year and done enough to justify his inclusion. He's still only 19, so will get more opportunities.

Yeah, I understand the logic

Just seem to have a fair few players that can play in Lingard’s role which will work against him. Greenwood is a natural finisher which is why I was hesitant to leave him out, and I do like a good balance between right and left footed players even if in reality, it means nothing!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 May 2021 14:00

URZZZZ
genome Not sure that group of midfielders is good enough to win a major tournament really.

Adapt to the opposition, so Rice in against tougher teams, another attacker in against teams we need to take the initiative against, don’t want to be carrying passengers to the team who don’t contribute enough

As ever and a general theme I mentioned with the Reading side, genuine lack of wingers in the squad, just a bunch of inside forwards or whatever they’re classified as nowadays. In Southgate’s defence here, there is a lack of them around

I'd say Rice is one of the 1st names on the sheet; you can see how important he is to West Ham simply by looking at their form when he was injured.

If we go 433, I'd make Mount the most attacking CM, with Foden playing inside on the left. Grealish will have to settle for the bench, which says plenty about our options in midfield. Ideally Henderson would go alongside Rice in the deeper position, but if unavailable I'd go for Bellingham, or possibly move Mount deeper and make room for Grealish.

Sterling or somebody who makes runs in behind and stretches the game is essential. The talents of Kane, Mount, Foden and Grealish are wasted without it. So no Mount on the right wing please.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2021 14:31

WestYorksRoyal
URZZZZ

I'd say Rice is one of the 1st names on the sheet; you can see how important he is to West Ham simply by looking at their form when he was injured.

If we go 433, I'd make Mount the most attacking CM, with Foden playing inside on the left. Grealish will have to settle for the bench, which says plenty about our options in midfield. Ideally Henderson would go alongside Rice in the deeper position, but if unavailable I'd go for Bellingham, or possibly move Mount deeper and make room for Grealish.

Sterling or somebody who makes runs in behind and stretches the game is essential. The talents of Kane, Mount, Foden and Grealish are wasted without it. So no Mount on the right wing please.

Chalk and cheese isn’t it? In terms of how West Ham and England play. West Ham are more geared to play on the counter, soaking up the pressure. Rice is good at driving forward with the ball, a luxury not really afforded in an England shirt as most teams play to sit back and counter against us

Sure, he’ll have uses for us, particularly if we get to further knockout games as he’s a decent player but not sure I’d start him every game

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 May 2021 15:54

Out of that squad my starting XI is:

Henderson

Alexander-Arnold
Maguire
Stones
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2021 16:18

NathStPaul Out of that squad my starting XI is:

Henderson

Alexander-Arnold
Maguire
Stones
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

Chilwell doesn’t do it for me - would like to see Saka there although I think that’ll be considered a bit too risky for Southgate

Failing that, would go Shaw over Chilwell

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 May 2021 16:28

Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Lingard, Kane, Henderson, Sterling, Trippier, Rashford, TAA.
Rose, Dier, Vardy, Delph, Dele Alli, Welbeck, Cahill, Young, Loftus Cheek, Butland, Phil Jones, Pope.

Incredible how many (12) of the World Cup squad are already consigned to the past, although admittedly there's some older players in there (Vardy, Welbeck, Cahill, Young), as well as loss of form or injury (Dier, Alli, Pope).

Seems to me that if you have a squad of players where in essence three players can cover each position, then you want two similar players, and one to do something slightly different. There isn't, to me, any value taking Walker, James and Trippier when they are all very similar right-backs. You're essentially left with a reserve who will only be used in the event of awful luck with injuries. Reece James has had a good season, but TAA is that something different, where we might need something different.

I think Calvert-Lewin's relatively effective performances in an England shirt have got him in the squad when Ings or maybe even Bamford were more deserving.

Not sure what James Maddison has done not to be included in the 33.

On the whole though agree with WYR's comment that whilst there will undoubtedly be better squads at the tournament, we won't go into it with a bad one.

Personally I'm really, really excited for the 2022 World Cup, when hopefully Rice-Mount-Bellingham is established, behind Kane-Foden and one of Grealish, Sterling, Greenwood, Sancho or Rashford.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 25 May 2021 17:29

Sanguine Not sure what James Maddison has done not to be included in the 33.

I think he's just been unlucky that he's not come back from injury in top form and Grealish, Mount and Linguard did so well in the recent internationals, its probably the one position where we have a lot of options.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 May 2021 20:34

NathStPaul Out of that squad my starting XI is:

Henderson

Alexander-Arnold
Maguire
Stones
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

I was just going to ask England fans to post their starting 11. And you started.
That's a good starting 11 but Southgate won't play that formation. He is too much of a "safety first" manager to be that bold.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 May 2021 23:46

NathStPaul
URZZZZ Provisional squad > 26 set to be named tomorrow

Will be trimmed down by Tuesday 2nd June

Don’t think that’s a bad idea

Shows Southgate up for what he is, indecisive and not strong enough to make a tough decision. The squad picks itself.

When you wrote that post approx 14 potential squad members still had a game left to play. They could pick up injuries that rule them out

Shaw, Rashford, Maguire, Greenwood, Henderson, Jones ( :lol: )
Mount, Abraham, Chilwell, Hudson-Odoi, Reece James
Foden, Sterling, Stones, Walker

Then he has to assess the injuries to Henderson, Grealish, Maguire etc

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 May 2021 23:50

WestYorksRoyal
URZZZZ

'greed! Was going to write something very similar...so cheers :wink:

3599 posts