Re: England - the future....

by NathStPaul » 02 Jun 2021 11:13

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
URZZZZ
Swap Henderson for Phillips

Offers nothing in an England shirt. Painfully average at best

Although do think he’s class for Leeds, two contrasting styles

BTW that wasn't a dig at Henderson's ability, he of course is good enough to play for England. The fact is he hasn't been fit for months and won't be fit come June 13th. His selection serves no purpose for us.

Agreed to an extent but could be for some leadership and experience within the group? 26 is a large group, there’ll be plenty of players that don’t feature considering only 14 (or is it 5 subs) can only get on in one given game

That is all well and good until Rice or Bellingham get injured, then what? Henderson should have been binned in favour of a match fit Ward-Prowse. If you want to keep Henderson around then do so, put him on the coaching team if necessary so he can be in and around training etc.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jun 2021 11:24

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul BTW that wasn't a dig at Henderson's ability, he of course is good enough to play for England. The fact is he hasn't been fit for months and won't be fit come June 13th. His selection serves no purpose for us.

Agreed to an extent but could be for some leadership and experience within the group? 26 is a large group, there’ll be plenty of players that don’t feature considering only 14 (or is it 5 subs) can only get on in one given game

That is all well and good until Rice or Bellingham get injured, then what? Henderson should have been binned in favour of a match fit Ward-Prowse. If you want to keep Henderson around then do so, put him on the coaching team if necessary so he can be in and around training etc.

There’s options

Push Trent up, push James up, move Mount to a deeper position, change to 2 in midfield etc etc. All about being flexible

I don’t disagree with you entirely btw, especially with excluding JWP who’s had a decent season and is very good at set plays (set plays being the main way we scored in our last competition) but just looking at it from both sides

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jun 2021 11:48

If everyone is fit, I'd be going for:

Pickford

TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Mount
Henderson
Rice

Foden
Kane
Rashford/Sterling/Grealish

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jun 2021 12:37

Hendo If everyone is fit, I'd be going for:

Pickford

TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Mount
Henderson
Rice

Foden
Kane

Would be surprised if Sterling starts, barely started at all for City in 2021 apart from their “rotation” games and when he has, he’s been rather poor. If Southgate stays true to his “players picked on form” comment, then he shouldn’t be starting

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Jun 2021 13:03

URZZZZ

Pickford

TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Mount
Henderson
Rice

Foden
Kane

Would be surprised if Sterling starts, barely started at all for City in 2021 apart from their “rotation” games and when he has, he’s been rather poor. If Southgate stays true to his “players picked on form” comment, then he shouldn’t be starting

Even when Sterling was in form for Man City he has always looked poor for England but Southgate has stuck with him. I reckon he will start. Southgate doesn't appear to like Grealish so I would not expect him to be in the starting 11. Rashford is an odd one as I though he had been carrying an injury (a bit like Greenwood) for the back end of the season and looked disinterested/unfit in the CL final.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jun 2021 13:13

morganb
URZZZZ

Pickford

TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Mount
Henderson
Rice

Foden
Kane

Even when Sterling was in form for Man City he has always looked poor for England but Southgate has stuck with him. I reckon he will start. Southgate doesn't appear to like Grealish so I would not expect him to be in the starting 11. Rashford is an odd one as I though he had been carrying an injury (a bit like Greenwood) for the back end of the season and looked disinterested/unfit in the CL final.

To be fair to Rashford, it’s difficult to look interested in a game he wasn’t playing in!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Jun 2021 13:15

URZZZZ
morganb
URZZZZ

To be fair to Rashford, it’s difficult to look interested in a game he wasn’t playing in!

That explains it then! (For CL read Europa League)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jun 2021 17:26

URZZZZ

Pickford

TAA
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Mount
Henderson
Rice

Foden
Kane

If Southgate sticks to his ‘players picked on form’ then Jesse Lingard starts .... oh

Seriously though, if we playing anyone decent it has to be Reece James at right back. He may not be as good going forward as TAA but he’s a much, much better defender and in a four I’d want my defenders able to defend first.

And Maguire isn’t going to be fit

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 02 Jun 2021 20:04

WOW, did you hear the BOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooos, and the wokie commentator insisting it's not a political statement (my arse).

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jun 2021 20:09

WTF was Tyrone Mings doing there?! Play carried on and the commentators didnt mention it but Mings just lifted his arm and barged someone to the floor.

5:40 for anyone watching

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 02 Jun 2021 20:20

Lingard still useless terrible ball.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Jun 2021 21:33

karbota Lingard still useless terrible ball.

Lingard? I thought he wasn't picked?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jun 2021 21:43

This is the Tyrone Mings moment I was talking about

https://mobile.twitter.com/MJSowerby/status/1400167677235245057

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Jun 2021 21:46

Winston Biscuit This is the Tyrone Mings moment I was talking about

How he is wearing an England shirt is beyond me. His thuggery seems to go unnoticed...

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jun 2021 21:47

The bloke is a total liability. If he plays the group games with Maguire out then he is going to have calamitous moments

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jun 2021 22:10

Watched most of the second half.

The defence was shite, Austria could have had a few despite being awful. But they were really awful, so they missed instead.

The midfield looked directionless and sub par. Although Bellingham had some promise and Grealish tried to inject some tempo.

The strikers looked lost. Good finish from Saka, but it came under slightly rubbish circumstances.

Pickford was wobbly.

Hoping that looks nothing like our first XI for the Euros.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jun 2021 22:12

Winston Biscuit The bloke is a total liability. If he plays the group games with Maguire out then he is going to have calamitous moments

Christ.

Godfrey looked oxf*rd awful and Coady not great. Do we have any decent CBs?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Jun 2021 23:09

Winston Biscuit The bloke is a total liability. If he plays the group games with Maguire out then he is going to have calamitous moments

he barely touched him :?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 Jun 2021 07:16

Ascotexgunner
Winston Biscuit This is the Tyrone Mings moment I was talking about

How he is wearing an England shirt is beyond me. His thuggery seems to go unnoticed...

Thuggery? He walked into an opposition striker. He is just shite, its not thuggery.

If you want to talk about thuggery then lets talk about Neco Williams.....

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Jun 2021 08:39

This being a Reading FC board I'd say thuggery is a fair description of Mings' behaviour, didn't see what he did last night obvs

3599 posts