England - the future....

3567 posts
Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

Re: England - the future....

by Donny Ironside » 15 Nov 2021 22:36

genome
NathStPaul As expected this game is bordering on the farcical. Would like us to get double figures.

All the last two games have done are take away a weekend of actual football from us.

International breaks are shit.

Got league 1, league 2 and non league still? Its good going to watch a local non league team play

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Nov 2021 08:25

Was it only 10 in the end though?:

Whatever it was it’s all so utterly pointless, calling for ages for these qualification groups to go through some form of pre-qualification in an effort to reduce the ridiculous number of international fixtures and cut down on the need for these stupid breaks. Might actually have games worth watching then rather than one side in each of most groups just going through the motions.

But no, as with pretty much everything else that’s wrong in the world it’s all about the money.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Nov 2021 08:47

Sutekh Was it only 10 in the end though?:

Whatever it was it’s all so utterly pointless, calling for ages for these qualification groups to go through some form of pre-qualification in an effort to reduce the ridiculous number of international fixtures and cut down on the need for these stupid breaks. Might actually have games worth watching then rather than one side in each of most groups just going through the motions.

But no, as with pretty much everything else that’s wrong in the world it’s all about the money.

If San Marino end up getting a bundle of money each time they play the big boys in qualifying, I think I’m ok with that. It’s the only way they are going to improve by putting money back into the system. Look at LUX, they were the laughing stock once and now they finished 4th in their group level on points with ROI. IMO, that is only possible by reinvesting money from the qualifiers.

I do see the argument of pre-qualifiers though as that would give them more competitive games but the money would be so much lower.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Nov 2021 09:03

Hendo
Sutekh Was it only 10 in the end though?:

If San Marino end up getting a bundle of money each time they play the big boys in qualifying, I think I’m ok with that. It’s the only way they are going to improve by putting money back into the system. Look at LUX, they were the laughing stock once and now they finished 4th in their group level on points with ROI. IMO, that is only possible by reinvesting money from the qualifiers.

I do see the argument of pre-qualifiers though as that would give them more competitive games but the money would be so much lower.

I agree with this. The only way you can improve is by playing the better teams and getting the income from playing big games. I think UEFA and FIFA should do a lot more to help actually, provide facilities grants etc.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Nov 2021 09:36

Only 10 against 10 men? Southgate's time is up.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Nov 2021 10:19

One of the best things about double figure scores is that it fcuks up scoreboard formatting. See also ITV's graphics last night.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Nov 2021 12:04

Sanguine I'd like to start seeing an indication of forward planning to next year. Is there a scenario where Jude Bellingham isn't a starter in Qatar? Surely not. Would be good if he starts vs. San Marino.

I'd like Southgate to make a decision on the system too. We switched to three at the back for Albania, which for one suits the attacking qualities of James and TAA. So if that's what we're doing, let's stick with it, whoever the opponent.

Really like Saka as a LB/LWB

Obviously only San Marino but he looks to have a go at his fullback. Shaw did well in the Euros but think we look more dynamic with Saka there

Haven’t always been a fan of wingback formations but with Trent and Saka there, it’s more appealing and with the likes of Rice and Bellingham in midfield, we could be on the cusp of an exciting side again

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 16 Nov 2021 15:56

At least Saka stayed wide most the time. Alexander Arnold seemed to be closer to the centre spot than touchline for most of the match, must have been the tactic they were trying but Southgate's still not using him as effectively as Liverpool do.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Dec 2021 17:01

This is interesting. Wolves defender Max Kilman is being spoken off as a future England player, and is apparently on Gareth Southgate's radar. If he isn't picked for England, Kilman would normally have a second choice, as both of his parents were born in the Ukraine. However, Kilman has played competitive internationals for England at futsal (smaller ball, normally played indoors on a hard court), and FIFA, who also govern the global game of futsal, have confirmed that that makes Kilman ineligible to represent Ukraine at football. Which seems a bit mean.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Dec 2021 11:21

Sanguine This is interesting. Wolves defender Max Kilman is being spoken off as a future England player, and is apparently on Gareth Southgate's radar. If he isn't picked for England, Kilman would normally have a second choice, as both of his parents were born in the Ukraine. However, Kilman has played competitive internationals for England at futsal (smaller ball, normally played indoors on a hard court), and FIFA, who also govern the global game of futsal, have confirmed that that makes Kilman ineligible to represent Ukraine at football. Which seems a bit mean.

Is there anyone decent that’s represented England at Subbuteo that we can commandeer ?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Mar 2022 09:30

Can we now bin off any notion whatsoever that Jude Bellingham, quite obviously already the standout midfield talent in Europe, shouldn't be a nailed on starter for England? Write his name on the teamsheet in permanent marker.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Mar 2022 09:33

Sanguine Can we now bin off any notion whatsoever that Jude Bellingham, quite obviously already the standout midfield talent in Europe, shouldn't be a nailed on starter for England? Write his name on the teamsheet in permanent marker.

I am really worried that Southgate won't start him in Qatar, it would be a very Southgate move to play safe and put Henderson in alongside Rice. Henderson for me is someone who comes on after 75 minutes to protect a lead, he is no longer a starter for England. We have to look to the future and let Rice and Bellingham build a partnership, they have to potential to be the best central midfielders in the world imo.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Mar 2022 09:36

NathStPaul
Sanguine Can we now bin off any notion whatsoever that Jude Bellingham, quite obviously already the standout midfield talent in Europe, shouldn't be a nailed on starter for England? Write his name on the teamsheet in permanent marker.

I am really worried that Southgate won't start him in Qatar, it would be a very Southgate move to play safe and put Henderson in alongside Rice. Henderson for me is someone who comes on after 75 minutes to protect a lead, he is no longer a starter for England. We have to look to the future and let Rice and Bellingham build a partnership, they have to potential to be the best central midfielders in the world imo.

Completely agree. I think there's a fair chance (and I'm a Southgate fan in general) that we start in Qatar with only one of our three current world-class players (TAA, Kane, Bellingham) in the line-up. And agree that Rice will be up with them soon enough, if not already.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Mar 2022 09:38

Only thing missing from Bellingham's game is decision making, when he gets into the final third he holds on to the ball too long at times. That comes with experience though, it will come.

Would love to see him in the Premier League next season. Manchester United should pay whatever the price is and get him in, he is the exact sort of player they need.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Mar 2022 09:44

NathStPaul Only thing missing from Bellingham's game is decision making, when he gets into the final third he holds on to the ball too long at times. That comes with experience though, it will come.

Would love to see him in the Premier League next season. Manchester United should pay whatever the price is and get him in, he is the exact sort of player they need.

He apparently idolised Steven Gerrard, and a few of the stronger football sources on Twitter have claimed that his Dad met Liverpool earlier this year. Feels like a tap-in for them if the owners will stump up the cash.

That said, he'd transform United's midfield.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 30 Mar 2022 11:07

He's still only 18 isn't he? Another year away from the Premier League may do him the world of good. If he comes back and doesn't immediately turn in man of the match performances every week the press and fans will be on his back. See Sancho for details.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Mar 2022 12:27

Jesus Christ.... Didn't they just boo a little bit when his name was read out? Pathetic.

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/statu ... D7HUR9cS7A

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Mar 2022 12:34

Tbf, there has been a lot of hate towards Maguire for a long time now based on his club form, so it isn't just this isolated incident.

For England though, he has never let the side or Southgate down. One of the key players in 2018 and Euros last year.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 30 Mar 2022 13:20

NathStPaul Jesus Christ.... Didn't they just boo a little bit when his name was read out? Pathetic.

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/statu ... D7HUR9cS7A

If you want to be idolized you have to take the abuse as well

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Mar 2022 13:58

What happened about that fight he had on holiday a couple of Summers ago?
They were debating booing again on the radio just now and we have been there so many times it is hardly new or newsworthy.

Loads of fans of various clubs turn up for England games and bring their dislike of certain players with them.

I even remember the 1966 World Cup games where Northern players (which made up more than half the team) were received with far less enthusiasm than that shown to Southern based players, probably because most of the spectators then were from London and the South.

I think Maguire has kinda got away with it at England level with Southgate playing the 2 holding midfielders as a shield for the defence but Man Utd don't always play that way and his limited ability (judged on him costing £80 million and more than Van Dyke) is often shown up.

We will see in Qatar if England don't get the normal favourable draw how good he and Stones are and if, against the better sides, we create enough with the 2 holding midfielders not contributing too much towards the attacking part in games.

As ever we have a lot of players , particularly for midfield places, but in other areas aren't that well blessed, e.g. a back-up for Kane and at left-back.

3567 posts