England - the future....

3567 posts
6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Sep 2022 16:35

It just feels worryingly like our tactics for the world cup will be getting Grealish to run down numerous blind alleys slowing down play until he can fall over for a freekick. At which point we cross it in as Maguire's massive slabhead is such a big target we're bound to score a couple of goals and get out of the group stage comfortably.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Sep 2022 16:50

Feels like a long time since Grealish was supposedly going to transform the side.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 15 Sep 2022 18:15

Sanguine Feels like a long time since Grealish was supposedly going to transform the side.

I think him and Phillips will be filed under the category of "failed to live up to the hype" that Parker, Sidwell, Kezman at Chelsea had

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 23 Sep 2022 14:37

6ft Kerplunk It just feels worryingly like our tactics for the world cup will be getting Grealish to run down numerous blind alleys slowing down play until he can fall over for a freekick. At which point we cross it in as Maguire's massive slabhead is such a big target we're bound to score a couple of goals and get out of the group stage comfortably.

:D

Loved the song about Maguire and his big head as much as any at the Euros

Maguire obviously shouldn't be in the squad or starting 11 by any objective analysis but he is one of those guys who has never let England down. Actually neither did Andros Townsend or Peter Crouch.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Oct 2022 16:07

Reading about Chelsea and it seems people are finally waking up to the fact that Sterling really is rubbish.

Pat Nevin goes so far as to say he’s been terrible and in this form should not even be a consideration for the WC.

Reality is of course that Southgate will pick him and start him regardless thus denying someone deserving of a place and continue to ignore Smalling, who has been in excellent form for 2 years, in favour of Maguire.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2022 16:37

Royal Rother Reading about Chelsea and it seems people are finally waking up to the fact that Sterling really is rubbish.

Pat Nevin goes so far as to say he’s been terrible and in this form should not even be a consideration for the WC.

Reality is of course that Southgate will pick him and start him regardless thus denying someone deserving of a place and continue to ignore Smalling, who has been in excellent form for 2 years, in favour of Maguire.

Is this the same Southgate who I believe said he wouldn’t just pick the old favourites all the time….?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Oct 2022 08:40

Tbf to Sterling, while his club form is a bit ropey - he has never let England down and Southgate clearly trusts him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Nov 2022 00:22

Royal Rother Reading about Chelsea and it seems people are finally waking up to the fact that Sterling really is rubbish.

I think that’s rather harsh to label Sterling as “rubbish” - especially given his past contributions in an England shirt

It’s evident that Sterling is very much a confidence player who isn’t in particularly great form at the moment but is still outperforming others such as Sancho who very much flatters to deceive

Way I see it is that Sterling offers a different dimension to the attack. Said before but you can’t just cram the team with midfielders even if the likes of Foden, Mount, Grealish and Maddison are “technically” better as it doesn’t allow for variety and the game becomes predictable

Sterling (and Saka) will allow for pace in behind and over the top in games where the midfield becomes congested. I’m not Sterling’s biggest fan - doesn’t have the greatest composure and is incredibly frustrating with his decision making but would be hugely surprised if he isn’t in the squad as he has an invaluable role in the squad that little others can do.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 10 Nov 2022 11:37

Tomori, Guehi and Toney out

Toney should be going ffs, Southgate is a yes man to the fa

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Nov 2022 11:55

Oh, didn't think it was being announced until 2pm.

Inside info? Contacts?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Nov 2022 11:57

If Toney is currently being investigated by the FA over betting irregularities, then he 100% shouldn't go to the World Cup.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 10 Nov 2022 13:43

Royal Rother Oh, didn't think it was being announced until 2pm.

Inside info? Contacts?

Contacts

Maddison is deffo in

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Nov 2022 13:51

Is your contact The Athletic Football twitter page?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 10 Nov 2022 14:02

Hendo Is your contact The Athletic Football twitter page?

Don't have twitter

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Nov 2022 14:16

Not much to argue about in the squad. As above, if Toney is currently under investigation for gambling shenanigans then he was never going to go. Please to see Maddison in, and Wilson has earned his spot with his form for Newcastle. Two odd picks for me. Gallagher hasn't looked the same player for Chelsea as he did Palace. And I won't understand Coady over Tomori, ever.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Nov 2022 14:17

Sanguine Not much to argue about in the squad. As above, if Toney is currently under investigation for gambling shenanigans then he was never going to go. Please to see Maddison in, and Wilson has earned his spot with his form for Newcastle. Two odd picks for me. Gallagher hasn't looked the same player for Chelsea as he did Palace. And I won't understand Coady over Tomori, ever.

+1 to all the above.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Nov 2022 14:22

I don’t really follow Premier League much these days but is there no one better than Dier?!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Nov 2022 14:24

No great surprises.
A lot of iffy selections of injured or injury prone players and whatever back 3 or 4 is chosen it will be weak but, apart from Guehi and Tomori there aren't too many options open than those selected.

Media pressure and injuries have made Southgate pick Maddison and TAA, neither of whom I expect to play much.
No back-up target man striker such as Toney or Abraham so let's hope that Kane stays fit.

A squad where the better players are forward looking players so we can only hope that the plan is to go on the offensive more than we sometimes do.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Nov 2022 14:30

South Coast Royal No great surprises.
A lot of iffy selections of injured or injury prone players and whatever back 3 or 4 is chosen it will be weak but, apart from Guehi and Tomori there aren't too many options open than those selected.

Media pressure and injuries have made Southgate pick Maddison and TAA, neither of whom I expect to play much.
No back-up target man striker such as Toney or Abraham so let's hope that Kane stays fit.

A squad where the better players are forward looking players so we can only hope that the plan is to go on the offensive more than we sometimes do.

I think Maddison has more than earned his right to play considering his contributions to Leicester seeing as he has 6 goals and 4 assists in 12 games this season, rather than any media pressure, but I would tend to agree that he might struggle to get into the XI.

Would imagine the XI to start v Iran would be:

Pickford

Trippier
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Bellingham
Mount
Rice

Sterling
Kane
Saka
Last edited by Hendo on 10 Nov 2022 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Nov 2022 14:30

South Coast Royal No great surprises.

My biggest worry too.

3567 posts