England - the future....

3561 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future....

by URZZZZ » 07 Jun 2021 08:56

NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman
NathStPaul Ben White gets the call up. Should have been included over Mings to begin with.

Wonder if Southgate has panicked after realising how much of a liability Mings is. Does anyone have any clue what the starting line up will be on Sunday?

I'd go something like:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

But think that's way off. We really do have some great attacking options, but the defence is a massive concern.

Got a feeling he might go 3-5-1-1 for Croatia.

Think it will be:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady

Trippier (RWB)
Rice
Bellingham
Mount
Chilwell (LWB)

Grealish

Kane

Foden is probably our best player, surely he can’t leave him out?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jun 2021 09:00

Pepe the Horseman
NathStPaul Ben White gets the call up. Should have been included over Mings to begin with.

Wonder if Southgate has panicked after realising how much of a liability Mings is.

Yep, was gonna say this - Mings has had two poor games and just isn’t good enough, certainly not in a two anyway

Having White in is extra cover (especially with Maguire not likely to make the group games) and is a further opportunity for three at the back if needed (five)

Feel for JWP who was excellent yesterday and has a great set piece but CB is a concern. Mistake was already made calling Phillips ahead of him but that’s what you get I suppose with a conservative manager

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Jun 2021 09:01

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman Wonder if Southgate has panicked after realising how much of a liability Mings is. Does anyone have any clue what the starting line up will be on Sunday?

I'd go something like:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

But think that's way off. We really do have some great attacking options, but the defence is a massive concern.

Think it will be:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady

Trippier (RWB)
Rice
Bellingham
Mount
Chilwell (LWB)

Grealish

Kane

Foden is probably our best player, surely he can’t leave him out?

Sorry forgot all about him. Take Grealish out and put Foden in.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Jun 2021 09:05

Although to be honest Grealish has done himself a huge favour in the two friendly games, been the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jun 2021 09:07

Zip
Franchise FC
Ascotexgunner
This is going to be downfall of Southgate.
Preparation seems to be farcical for England. Most of the other countries have played their best players and given all their players games. Most of the England first selections have hardly kicked a ball since the season ended.
Going straight into a tournament having had no England experience or competative knockabout is a tad dangerous.

Six of the starters will have played last Saturday (assuming Chilwell is selected, otherwise Shaw played today)
Walker, Stones, Foden, James, Chilwell & Mount

Pickford and Kane played Wednesday

Rice (assuming he plays) played both Wednesday and today

Leaves a centre -back (Coady or Mings and they both played Wednesday and Mings today) plus presumably another midfielder (who knows, but James Ward-Prowse did himself no harm today)

I don't think it's that bad, particularly given that it would have been impossible to predict two English teams in the Champions League Final when the games were arranged.

That’s almost a positive post on Southgate’s England side. That’s not allowed on here is it?
Jeez you lot need to judge him on what is about to happen in the Euros and not on friendlies or Nation League games. I think England will do well and reach the final.

The football is dire to watch though

So slow moving the ball up from defence to attack, and as a result few chances created each game

Obviously having the likes of Mount, Foden and Kane back will help but I’m not sure how much as I find the tactics to be still somewhat stifling

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jun 2021 09:08

NathStPaul Although to be honest Grealish has done himself a huge favour in the two friendly games, been the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Will be uproar if he’s left out

Could possibly see a 4-3-3 instead with Rice dropping into CB, something he can play and has done before for West Ham, more room for another attacking there

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Jun 2021 09:15

URZZZZ
Zip
Franchise FC Six of the starters will have played last Saturday (assuming Chilwell is selected, otherwise Shaw played today)
Walker, Stones, Foden, James, Chilwell & Mount

Pickford and Kane played Wednesday

Rice (assuming he plays) played both Wednesday and today

Leaves a centre -back (Coady or Mings and they both played Wednesday and Mings today) plus presumably another midfielder (who knows, but James Ward-Prowse did himself no harm today)

I don't think it's that bad, particularly given that it would have been impossible to predict two English teams in the Champions League Final when the games were arranged.

That’s almost a positive post on Southgate’s England side. That’s not allowed on here is it?
Jeez you lot need to judge him on what is about to happen in the Euros and not on friendlies or Nation League games. I think England will do well and reach the final.

So slow moving the ball up from defence to attack, and as a result few chances created each game

Obviously having the likes of Mount, Foden and Kane back will help but I’m not sure how much as I find the tactics to be still somewhat stifling

If we shithouse our way to Euro glory by winning every game 1-0 I won't be complaining. The football we play is a secondary factor.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jun 2021 09:20

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
Zip

If we shithouse our way to Euro glory by winning every game 1-0 I won't be complaining. The football we play is a secondary factor.

+1, I'd be quite happy with a Greece-style 2004 repeat :D

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Jun 2021 09:40

NathStPaul Although to be honest Grealish has done himself a huge favour in the two friendly games, been the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

As he has in every game since he came back into the team.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 07 Jun 2021 09:53

I'm getting slightly irritated that Grealish being the most fouled player seems to be seen as a positive trait. If he passed the ball on a bit quicker he wouldn't get fouled so much, especially when playing for England when he doesn't have to do everything on his own.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Jun 2021 10:02

We are fairly decent on set pieces, Grealish getting fouled in the opposition half is obviously a positive for that reason. :roll:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jun 2021 10:19

Hendo
NathStPaul
URZZZZ

Sure but although granted yesterday wasn’t our first choice defence, we gave away a fair few decent opportunities to a team which usually has George Puscas leading the line - will need to be a lot tighter against the tougher opponents. Mbappe against Mings is a terrifying thought

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jun 2021 10:21

NathStPaul We are fairly decent on set pieces, Grealish getting fouled in the opposition half is obviously a positive for that reason. :roll:

Whilst he is fouled a lot, he does also go down too easily - not all refs will buy that

Not even sure how clear cut our first penalty was yesterday, again, the contact was there but IMO not all refs would give that

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Jun 2021 10:30

URZZZZ
Hendo
NathStPaul If we shithouse our way to Euro glory by winning every game 1-0 I won't be complaining. The football we play is a secondary factor.

Sure but although granted yesterday wasn’t our first choice defence, we gave away a fair few decent opportunities to a team which usually has George Puscas leading the line - will need to be a lot tighter against the tougher opponents. Mbappe against Mings is a terrifying thought

Mbappe against anyone is fairly terrifying, he's a world class player who will cause issues for even the very best defenders.
I see us having issues with the more physical sides rather than France and their ilk. Really worried Scotland will push us very close, might even get a draw.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jun 2021 11:19

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
Hendo

Mbappe against anyone is fairly terrifying, he's a world class player who will cause issues for even the very best defenders.
I see us having issues with the more physical sides rather than France and their ilk. Really worried Scotland will push us very close, might even get a draw.

Steve Clarke is a decent coach, agreed there - tactics against Arsenal when he was in charge here was superb

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Jun 2021 11:23

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
URZZZZ

Steve Clarke is a decent coach, agreed there - tactics against Arsenal when he was in charge here was superb

They are a side with absolutely no pressure on them, they did the hard bit by getting there. They can play agaisnt England with nothing to lose and everything to gain. If they go 1-0 up early in the game it could be a very painful evening for us on the 18th of June.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jun 2021 12:38

I know it wasn't the actual first team, but based on those friendlies England will concede 1 - 2 goals against any side with a goalscorer or who can match us in possession.

Give away 2 or 3 cheap chances a game even when mostly under no threat..

No problem with Henderson going or being involved. Very experienced and crucial player in an area we look ropey. He did fine, excluding the poor pen, but the keeper did a good job. Just take him off pens.

Talent upfront, but not really meshed and reliant on Kane. Rashford looked sharp, but tries to do too much. Same with Grealish. Sancho mostly anonymous but the best chance all game.

Calvert-Lewin has apparently had a good season, but doesn't remotely look like an International to me.

Defensive midfield seems poor and CB seems terrible.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jun 2021 12:49

NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman

Wonder if Southgate has panicked after realising how much of a liability Mings is. Does anyone have any clue what the starting line up will be on Sunday?

I'd go something like:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

Think it will be:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady

Trippier (RWB)
Rice
Bellingham
Mount
Chilwell (LWB)

Foden

Kane

Definitely that will be the formation.....

I think he will shoehorn Rashford and Stirling in somehow though....I don't know how....but he will try.....but it will be at the expense of Foden somehow.

Incidentally someone told me England haven't beaten any of the international "big guns" over 90 minutes since 1966. Is that true?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jun 2021 12:57

Snowflake Royal I know it wasn't the actual first team, but based on those friendlies England will concede 1 - 2 goals against any side with a goalscorer or who can match us in possession.

No problem with Henderson going or being involved. Very experienced and crucial player in an area we look ropey. He did fine, excluding the poor pen, but the keeper did a good job. Just take him off pens.

Talent upfront, but not really meshed and reliant on Kane. Rashford looked sharp, but tries to do too much. Same with Grealish. Sancho mostly anonymous but the best chance all game.

Calvert-Lewin has apparently had a good season, but doesn't remotely look like an International to me.

Yeah, decent at club level but like Coady, Phillips and Watkins etc - just a bit meh at international level. I guess he's got a good leap on him which probably gives him the advantage over Watkins but bringing on DCL is hardly going to strike fear into the opposition

Problem is we seem to have a lot of strikers in the same boat - decent enough at club level but probably not international level. Probably would have gone for Ings myself as he's the best natural finisher of the "other lot" but there isn't really much in it between any of them

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Jun 2021 12:58

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal I know it wasn't the actual first team, but based on those friendlies England will concede 1 - 2 goals against any side with a goalscorer or who can match us in possession.

Yeah, decent at club level but like Coady, Phillips and Watkins etc - just a bit meh at international level. I guess he's got a good leap on him which probably gives him the advantage over Watkins but bringing on DCL is hardly going to strike fear into the opposition

Problem is we seem to have a lot of strikers in the same boat - decent enough at club level but probably not international level. Probably would have gone for Ings myself as he's the best natural finisher of the "other lot" but there isn't really much in it between any of them

He is great in the air, Southgate will see him as someone who can come on late in a game and defend corners.

3561 posts