England - the future....

3567 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future....

by South Coast Royal » 10 Nov 2022 17:25

6ft Kerplunk
Winston Biscuit
South Coast Royal At world cups countries often take one or two younger players for the experience

Original/fat/R9 Ronaldo was at World Cup 94 as a 17 year old unused sub.

Did Walcott the power of good too, any time now he's going to burst through on the international scene.

Ronaldo did ok for himself didn't he?

So the principle may well be right even if the individual isn't although 47 appearances and 8 goals for England is perhaps not that shabby for a winger..

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 11 Nov 2022 01:48

South Coast Royal
Hendo
South Coast Royal No great surprises.
A lot of iffy selections of injured or injury prone players and whatever back 3 or 4 is chosen it will be weak but, apart from Guehi and Tomori there aren't too many options open than those selected.

Media pressure and injuries have made Southgate pick Maddison and TAA, neither of whom I expect to play much.
No back-up target man striker such as Toney or Abraham so let's hope that Kane stays fit.

A squad where the better players are forward looking players so we can only hope that the plan is to go on the offensive more than we sometimes do.

I think Maddison has more than earned his right to play considering his contributions to Leicester seeing as he has 6 goals and 4 assists in 12 games this season, rather than any media pressure, but I would tend to agree that he might struggle to get into the XI.

Would imagine the XI to start v Iran would be:

Pickford

Trippier
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Bellingham
Mount
Rice

Sterling
Kane
Saka

The media pressure that I spoke about arose because of those excellent performances.
I would play him but I suspect that Southgate won't.

That is probably the starting back 4 but what a poor line of defence that is for so many reasons.

Won't be playing a back four for starters. Shaw has really found his form of late

Maguire was the worst CB on the pitch tonight and Tyrone Mings was playing (let that sink in)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Nov 2022 10:39

Conservative_dad
South Coast Royal
Hendo
I think Maddison has more than earned his right to play considering his contributions to Leicester seeing as he has 6 goals and 4 assists in 12 games this season, rather than any media pressure, but I would tend to agree that he might struggle to get into the XI.

Would imagine the XI to start v Iran would be:

Pickford

Trippier
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Bellingham
Mount
Rice

Sterling
Kane
Saka

The media pressure that I spoke about arose because of those excellent performances.

That is probably the starting back 4 but what a poor line of defence that is for so many reasons.

Won't be playing a back four for starters. Shaw has really found his form of late

Maguire was the worst CB on the pitch tonight and Tyrone Mings was playing (let that sink in)

Can't agree on Shaw.
Last Saturday he gave away a free-kick on the edge of the box from which Villa scored.
He got a yellow card for the tackle which was described in my paper as a Sunday League challenge.

Ok going forward but one of many English full-backs that can't defend.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 11 Nov 2022 10:48

South Coast Royal
Conservative_dad
South Coast Royal

Can't agree on Shaw.
Last Saturday he gave away a free-kick on the edge of the box from which Villa scored.
He got a yellow card for the tackle which was described in my paper as a Sunday League challenge.

That's one game in about 10 where the whole team was poor

But you can see why Gomez, Trent and Henderson shouldn't be anywhere near the team

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Nov 2022 11:09

Conservative_dad
South Coast Royal
Conservative_dad

Can't agree on Shaw.

That's one game in about 10 where the whole team was poor

But you can see why Gomez, Trent and Henderson shouldn't be anywhere near the team

I can see why re-Gomez but, with obvious bias ,I would play TAA ahead of Walker or Trippier because I don't think either of those are that much better at defending and both are knocking on and a bit injury-prone.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Nov 2022 14:33

So, then, why isn’t Tomori in the squad, what exactly is the justification to keep Coady or even Maguire ahead of him? Is it because AC Milan aren’t top of Serie A or because of his red card v Chelsea or just because Gareth “I won’t pick favourites” Southgate has picked favourites?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Nov 2022 14:50

Sutekh So, then, why isn’t Tomori in the squad, what exactly is the justification to keep Coady or even Maguire ahead of him? Is it because AC Milan aren’t top of Serie A or because of his red card v Chelsea or just because Gareth “I won’t pick favourites” Southgate has picked favourites?

At least he's had Tomori in his squads (I think) - Smalling has been getting rave reviews from Italy for the last 2 years and hasn't even had a sniff.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Nov 2022 14:59

Royal Rother
Sutekh So, then, why isn’t Tomori in the squad, what exactly is the justification to keep Coady or even Maguire ahead of him? Is it because AC Milan aren’t top of Serie A or because of his red card v Chelsea or just because Gareth “I won’t pick favourites” Southgate has picked favourites?

At least he's had Tomori in his squads (I think) - Smalling has been getting rave reviews from Italy for the last 2 years and hasn't even had a sniff.

:shock: had totally forgotten about Chris Smalling but then he is 32 now :lol: so perhaps that’s why he gets overlooked these days.

Honestly though if the media are giving regular “rave” reviews to someone then, whatever their age, they should be on your radar to at least go and watch play - does GS go to watch games abroad, not as if there wouldn’t be loads of opportunity?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Nov 2022 15:18

I was surprised that Tomori was overlooked, personally think he's a better defender than both Maguire and Coady. If we have specifically picked Coady for the back 3 (reminiscent of his Wolves days), then why not Trevor Chalobah who has, by and large, been a very consistent young player in his breakthrough seasons at Chelsea? Understand he is still raw, but he has quality.

If I was picking England's defence, based on who is available, I'd have gone for: TAA, Trippier, White, Stones, Dier, Chalobah, Tomori, Shaw, Sessegnon.

Risky to include the one's with little international experience, so maybe not for a World Cup, but in terms of performance levels, quality and suitability to style of play, I think that's the best we've got, and I'd argue significantly better than what we've chosen.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Nov 2022 18:22

We'll have to be really fortunate to get anywhere with the lack of quality in our defence.

I know he's always actually played pretty well in an England shirt but Maguire should never be first choice. And nor should Dier.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 11 Nov 2022 18:33

bcubed We'll have to be really fortunate to get anywhere with the lack of quality in our defence.

I know he's always actually played pretty well in an England shirt but Maguire should never be first choice. And nor should Dier.

England are gonna play on the counter, Maguire is pretty good at that. He's just v slow and can't play a high line

(possibly the same with Dier)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Nov 2022 19:32

YorkshireRoyal99 I was surprised that Tomori was overlooked, personally think he's a better defender than both Maguire and Coady. If we have specifically picked Coady for the back 3 (reminiscent of his Wolves days), then why not Trevor Chalobah who has, by and large, been a very consistent young player in his breakthrough seasons at Chelsea? Understand he is still raw, but he has quality.

If I was picking England's defence, based on who is available, I'd have gone for: TAA, Trippier, White, Stones, Dier, Chalobah, Tomori, Shaw, Sessegnon.

Risky to include the one's with little international experience, so maybe not for a World Cup, but in terms of performance levels, quality and suitability to style of play, I think that's the best we've got, and I'd argue significantly better than what we've chosen.

Sessignon? Blimey, that surprises me. What I’ve seen of him has been Championship level.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Nov 2022 22:23

Conservative_dad
bcubed We'll have to be really fortunate to get anywhere with the lack of quality in our defence.

England are gonna play on the counter, Maguire is pretty good at that. He's just v slow and can't play a high line

(possibly the same with Dier)

Yep I've witnessed this first hand at the Euros. Was hoping for something a step up from that. But you're probably right

The other issue with Maguire is that he is so slow you have to play Walker alongside him to cover him.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Nov 2022 06:18

See that Hudson Odoi has turned down a WC approach from Ghana as he is hoping to break into the England squad for the Euros.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Nov 2022 06:25

South Coast Royal At world cups countries often take one or two younger players for the experience and IIRC we once took Walcott.

With the massive number of 26 it would be easy to do that and maybe Gallagher falls into that category.
I would like to have seen Eze or Harvey Elliot go as they may well have a future at England level.

I’ve been thinking there’s not much else that could’ve changed the squad but Elliott is a good shout. His current issue would be the list of those in similar positions (Foden, Saka, Mount, Maddison, Grealish and even Sterling)
I do think he’s got a real chance for the next tournament, though

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Nov 2022 13:02

Sanguine Not much to argue about in the squad. As above, if Toney is currently under investigation for gambling shenanigans then he was never going to go. Please to see Maddison in, and Wilson has earned his spot with his form for Newcastle. Two odd picks for me. Gallagher hasn't looked the same player for Chelsea as he did Palace. And I won't understand Coady over Tomori, ever.

And if it was Kane not Toney under investigation, would Kane have been left out? I’d like to yes is the answer but have my doubts.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 12 Nov 2022 14:38

Sutekh
Sanguine Not much to argue about in the squad. As above, if Toney is currently under investigation for gambling shenanigans then he was never going to go. Please to see Maddison in, and Wilson has earned his spot with his form for Newcastle. Two odd picks for me. Gallagher hasn't looked the same player for Chelsea as he did Palace. And I won't understand Coady over Tomori, ever.

And if it was Kane not Toney under investigation, would Kane have been left out? I’d like to yes is the answer but have my doubts.

No and Toney proving why be should have gone

Who cares if he's 'under investigation'?

Not like he's actually done anything wrong ffs, its just a race thing from the media

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Nov 2022 15:26

Maddison off injured

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Nov 2022 15:37

Winston Biscuit Maddison off injured

I like Maddison but at best he’s 4th choice in that sort of role

Feel for him, if he’s out of the squad, but I don’t think it’ll make too much difference to how we play or fare

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 12 Nov 2022 15:57

Hope toney will get the call now

3567 posts