England - the future....

3567 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future....

by URZZZZ » 07 Jun 2021 13:01

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal I know it wasn't the actual first team, but based on those friendlies England will concede 1 - 2 goals against any side with a goalscorer or who can match us in possession.

Give away 2 or 3 cheap chances a game even when mostly under no threat..

No problem with Henderson going or being involved. Very experienced and crucial player in an area we look ropey. He did fine, excluding the poor pen, but the keeper did a good job. Just take him off pens.

Talent upfront, but not really meshed and reliant on Kane. Rashford looked sharp, but tries to do too much. Same with Grealish. Sancho mostly anonymous but the best chance all game.

Calvert-Lewin has apparently had a good season, but doesn't remotely look like an International to me.

Defensive midfield seems poor and CB seems terrible.

Yeah, decent at club level but like Coady, Phillips and Watkins etc - just a bit meh at international level. I guess he's got a good leap on him which probably gives him the advantage over Watkins but bringing on DCL is hardly going to strike fear into the opposition

Problem is we seem to have a lot of strikers in the same boat - decent enough at club level but probably not international level. Probably would have gone for Ings myself as he's the best natural finisher of the "other lot" but there isn't really much in it between any of them

He is great in the air, Southgate will see him as someone who can come on late in a game and defend corners.

Depends if it's 3 or 5 subs though - can't see him really getting on the pitch if it's only 3 subs as you'd expect the likes of Rashford, Sancho and Sterling to all be brought on ahead of him
Can't recall Southgate ever really going 2 up top since the last World Cup and he obviously won't displace Kane, injuries permitting!

Would also have chucked Antonio's name into the ring - completely different proposition but seems like Southgate has just never really fancied him - even if he on the slightly older side now

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Jun 2021 13:04

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
URZZZZ
Yeah, decent at club level but like Coady, Phillips and Watkins etc - just a bit meh at international level. I guess he's got a good leap on him which probably gives him the advantage over Watkins but bringing on DCL is hardly going to strike fear into the opposition

Problem is we seem to have a lot of strikers in the same boat - decent enough at club level but probably not international level. Probably would have gone for Ings myself as he's the best natural finisher of the "other lot" but there isn't really much in it between any of them

He is great in the air, Southgate will see him as someone who can come on late in a game and defend corners.

Depends if it's 3 or 5 subs though - can't see him really getting on the pitch if it's only 3 subs as you'd expect the likes of Rashford, Sancho and Sterling to all be brought on ahead of him
Can't recall Southgate ever really going 2 up top since the last World Cup and he obviously won't displace Kane, injuries permitting!

Would also have chucked Antonio's name into the ring - completely different proposition but seems like Southgate has just never really fancied him - even if he on the slightly older side now

DCL gets on the pitch after 80 minutes if we are winning 1-0, Southgate thinks defensively rather than offensively so he will be looking for a striker who can defend rather than a striker who can just score goals. DCL is perfect in that role.

DCL reminds me of a match fit Andy Carroll. Moments of brilliance and can go on a hot streak but will have periods of utter mediocrity.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 07 Jun 2021 14:00

I wouldn't have taken a half fit Henderson, and I certainly wouldn't play him, unless we are 2 up with 10 minutes to go.

England's strengths are attacking at speed; we should look to play counter-attacking football (and hence play 5 at the back) but Henderson in that sort of line up slows the tempo of the game down far too much.

There was an opportunity in the game last night where England won the ball after a Romanian attack broke down and we had a break; Henderson got fed the ball and then knocked the ball out to Watkins on the right wing - but instead of playing it in front of Watkins (who was running forward) Henderson passed it square, forcing Watkins to stop to collect the ball, thus allowing Romania to get back and get into defensive shape.

Also, JWP should have been picked instaed of Ben White.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Jun 2021 14:43

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul Mbappe against anyone is fairly terrifying, he's a world class player who will cause issues for even the very best defenders.
I see us having issues with the more physical sides rather than France and their ilk. Really worried Scotland will push us very close, might even get a draw.

Steve Clarke is a decent coach, agreed there - tactics against Arsenal when he was in charge here was superb

They are a side with absolutely no pressure on them, they did the hard bit by getting there. They can play agaisnt England with nothing to lose and everything to gain. If they go 1-0 up early in the game it could be a very painful evening for us on the 18th of June.

Fingers crossed

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Jun 2021 15:36

I have a feeling Scotland will be our "Iceland" from 2016....

Underestimate at our peril

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Jun 2021 15:37

Ascotexgunner
NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman Wonder if Southgate has panicked after realising how much of a liability Mings is. Does anyone have any clue what the starting line up will be on Sunday?

I'd go something like:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

But think that's way off. We really do have some great attacking options, but the defence is a massive concern.

Got a feeling he might go 3-5-1-1 for Croatia.

Think it will be:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady

Trippier (RWB)
Rice
Bellingham
Mount
Chilwell (LWB)

Foden

Kane

Definitely that will be the formation.....

I think he will shoehorn Rashford and Stirling in somehow though....I don't know how....but he will try.....but it will be at the expense of Foden somehow.

Incidentally someone told me England haven't beaten any of the international "big guns" over 90 minutes since 1966. Is that true?

Sancho > Sterling

Sterling does not deserve to be on the plan over Ward-Prowse

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Jun 2021 16:00

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Jun 2021 18:09

Ascotexgunner
NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman Wonder if Southgate has panicked after realising how much of a liability Mings is. Does anyone have any clue what the starting line up will be on Sunday?

I'd go something like:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
Mount

Foden
Kane
Grealish

But think that's way off. We really do have some great attacking options, but the defence is a massive concern.

Got a feeling he might go 3-5-1-1 for Croatia.

Think it will be:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady

Trippier (RWB)
Rice
Bellingham
Mount
Chilwell (LWB)

Foden

Kane

I think he will shoehorn Rashford and Stirling in somehow though....I don't know how....but he will try.....but it will be at the expense of Foden somehow.

Incidentally someone told me England haven't beaten any of the international "big guns" over 90 minutes since 1966. Is that true?

I assume you excluding friendlies.

Germany 1 England 5
England 1 Argentina 0

And that’s just immediate recall ... or do those two not count ?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jun 2021 18:21

Franchise FC
Ascotexgunner
NathStPaul Got a feeling he might go 3-5-1-1 for Croatia.

Think it will be:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Coady

Trippier (RWB)
Rice
Bellingham
Mount
Chilwell (LWB)

Foden

Kane

Germany 1 England 5
England 1 Argentina 0

And that’s just immediate recall ... or do those two not count?

In knockout stages, we haven't beaten any of the 'big guns' since 1966

We beat Spain on pens but they were pretty shit at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro ... uads#Spain

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jun 2021 19:24

BR0B0T
Franchise FC
Ascotexgunner

Germany 1 England 5
England 1 Argentina 0

And that’s just immediate recall ... or do those two not count?

In knockout stages, we haven't beaten any of the 'big guns' since 1966

We beat Spain on pens but they were pretty shit at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro ... uads#Spain

In that time, we've lost to:

World Cup
West Germay (aet)
Argentina (beating Paraguay)
West Germany (Pens) (beating Belgium and Cameroon)
Argentina (Pens)
Brazil (beating Denmark)
Portugal (Pens) (beating Ecuador)
Germany
Croatia (aet) (beating Colombia (pens) and Sweden)

Euros
Yugoslavia
Germany (pens) (beating Spain (pens))
Portugal (pens)
Italy (pens)
Iceland

oxf*rd me, our Euros record is oxf*rd awful. Though I guess we missed fewer of them than World Cups, but bloody hell some of those group stages. :shock:

I might have to stop saying we always get knocked out by first good team we play. We don't even manage that quite a lot.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Jun 2021 07:53

These people aren't fans and shouldn't be called fans

Disgraceful

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57382945

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Jun 2021 10:17

Simmops These people aren't fans and shouldn't be called fans

Disgraceful

surely they are just passionate about who has ownership and control of the means of production.....

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Jun 2021 10:44

Phil Foden has done his hair Gazza 96 style with a silver skinfade

It's coming home

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jun 2021 12:15

Disgraceful

So bored of this discussion now! Just going on and on

Don’t agree with the booing but it’s not going to stop, so let’s not pretend otherwise

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Jun 2021 12:19

URZZZZ

Disgraceful

Don’t agree with the booing but it’s not going to stop, so let’s not pretend otherwise

Sorry

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jun 2021 12:24

Simmops
URZZZZ

Disgraceful

Sorry

Not you, but it’s all over BBC etc etc. If people don’t get it after a year (or choose not to) then I doubt they’re going to now

Let’s focus on the competition rather than anything else

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jun 2021 13:16

URZZZZ
Simmops
URZZZZ

Sorry

Not you, but it’s all over BBC etc etc. If people don’t get it after a year (or choose not to) then I doubt they’re going to now

[devil’s advocate]
So if the players are into this knee thing shouldn’t they be speaking out against a World Cup in Qatar?
[/devil’s advocate]

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Jun 2021 13:31

Sutekh
URZZZZ
Simmops
Sorry

[devil’s advocate]
So if the players are into this knee thing shouldn’t they be speaking out against a World Cup in Qatar?
[/devil’s advocate]

Yes

Also URZZZZ.... Shirley by suppressing it, thats what the racists want?

People shouldn't boo. If they do, I think and hope they either get the shit kicked out of them or removed and banned from the stadium

If somebody did boo at the mad stad, I would flick beer at them for sure

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jun 2021 18:07

Very impressive writing from Southgate here: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... ssion=true

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2021 18:49

Stranded Very impressive writing from Southgate here: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... ssion=true

It's a real shame they couldn't find a picture of Bryan Robson's quick goal against France, rather than the header they included (the fast goal was with his left foot, and from a throw-in by Sir Steve).

It's a really heartfelt piece but I fear that some of the target audience may not be able to take it all in

3567 posts