England - the future....

3567 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: England - the future....

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Nov 2020 20:12

2-0 England after 25 minutes. Iceland now with a MOUNTain to climb.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Nov 2020 12:35

Good stat this.

When Jude Bellingham came on for his England debut against Ireland, he became one of the 4th pair of non-British club teammates to appear at the same time for England, with his Dortmund team-mate Jadon Sancho already on the pitch. The other such pairs are David Beckham and Michael Owen (Real Madrid, 7 times), Mark Hateley and Ray Wilkins (Milan, 4), and Hateley and Glenn Hoddle (Monaco, 1).

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 25 Nov 2020 15:09

Sanguine Good stat this.

When Jude Bellingham came on for his England debut against Ireland, he became one of the 4th pair of non-British club teammates to appear at the same time for England, with his Dortmund team-mate Jadon Sancho already on the pitch. The other such pairs are David Beckham and Michael Owen (Real Madrid, 7 times), Mark Hateley and Ray Wilkins (Milan, 4), and Hateley and Glenn Hoddle (Monaco, 1).

My only comment on this is that it is still the case after so many years of International football that so few English players plie their trade abroad.
Bellingham and Sancho are still very much the exceptions.

I suspect that nothing will change much whilst the Premier League remains just about the biggest gravy train in world football.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Nov 2020 15:14

South Coast Royal
Sanguine Good stat this.

My only comment on this is that it is still the case after so many years of International football that so few English players plie their trade abroad.
Bellingham and Sancho are still very much the exceptions.

I suspect that nothing will change much whilst the Premier League remains just about the biggest gravy train in world football.

First, you're right, still few players of international calibre abroad (just six across the senior and u21 squads - Bellingham, Sancho, Trippier, Panzo, Musiala, Sessegnon [loan]). Second, I'd perceived this to be different, with it being so hard for young English players to break into PL and Championship sides, I expected we'd be seeing more and more players making the move abroad.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Feb 2021 18:59

Stones must be brought back in.

He is so much better than Maguire.

But we know Southgate.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 07 Feb 2021 19:08

Royal Rother Stones must be brought back in.

But we know Southgate.

And he'll probably play Dier and Winks.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Feb 2021 12:28

South Coast Royal

But we know Southgate.

And he'll probably play Dier and Winks.

Even Mourinho seems to have seen the light with those two, surely Southgate will follow suit

Barring injury, I wonder how many players are already guaranteed to be in Southgate's squad come the summer

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Feb 2021 14:04

Barring injuries (and I suppose we should expect a good number to come in the next few months) Foden and Grealish should be nailed on starters.

Interestingly they appear to have been the 2 out of the long list of quality youngsters available to him, that Southgate has been slowest to bring into the fold. Seeing as they are now the best of that bunch, does that mean he's a poor judge or has he played a blinder, keeping them hungry to impress, mature, develop and demonstrate that they are better than the rest, week in week out... (which they have pretty much done now)?

A front 4 of Grealish, Sterling, Kane and Foden (with Sancho and Saka as backups) is mouth-watering.

I quite like what Calvert-Lewin brings to the squad, but it would be good if Vardy was available as backup to kane.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Feb 2021 14:42

Royal Rother Barring injuries (and I suppose we should expect a good number to come in the next few months) Foden and Grealish should be nailed on starters.

Interestingly they appear to have been the 2 out of the long list of quality youngsters available to him, that Southgate has been slowest to bring into the fold. Seeing as they are now the best of that bunch, does that mean he's a poor judge or has he played a blinder, keeping them hungry to impress, mature, develop and demonstrate that they are better than the rest, week in week out... (which they have pretty much done now)?

A front 4 of Grealish, Sterling, Kane and Foden (with Sancho and Saka as backups) is mouth-watering.

I quite like what Calvert-Lewin brings to the squad, but it would be good if Vardy was available as backup to kane.

Yep, agree with most of that, Foden and Grealish are good progressive players in good form, with consistent game time, they don't shirk responsibility by playing safe passes, they take initiative and drive forward with the ball, would certainly expect them to be in and around the first team. Also got Mount and Maddison too, Mount improving in this last month and Maddison a steady performer. I think with regards to your question, (A) - Foden hasn't had the consistent game time he's needed to break into the England squad before these last couple of months and (B) - There's a fair bit of competition in those areasa

Not quite sure I agree with Vardy/Sancho, as Sancho flatters to deceive in an England shirt and Vardy, whilst being a very good player, likes to sit on the shoulders of the last defender, something not really seen as much on the international stage as a lot of teams play a deep line

Saka, I think could have a chance at LB the way things are going with Chilwell in poor form, not much else out there although you could argue Shaw has had a better season. Would much prefer a left sided player at LB, rather than shoehorning a RB in there (e.g. Trippier), who often slows down the tempo of the game

Would like to see us develop a plan B too (and so on etc) as I do feel the England squad can be rather one dimensional. As I suggest for Reading, would like to see a winger brought into the fold although perhaps easier said than done as there does seem to be a scarcity of players for this position, and by this I mean a player who's happy to take his man on from the outside and cross it in, unlike many of the wide players who inevitably cut inside. If Antonio keeps up his form, there's a chance he can be a plan B/plan C although perhaps injuries/age/technical ability may work against him

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Feb 2021 20:02

Well yes, I’ve not been too impressed with Sancho for England either but I think he has immense promise. Good for back up is my feeling, but Hudson Odoi also has potential of course and has looked comfortable enough in the England shirt.

I can’t remember the circumstances of each player’s call up and appearances but Southgate has had a look at the likes of Saka, Maitland Niles, Bellingham, Abraham, Solanke, Tomori before they had fully developed into 1st team regulars - Foden has always been touted as the most gifted of the lot so it just seems surprising he didn’t give him a chance earlier than he did.

But as I said - maybe he’s played a blinder by not exposing him to the glare, hype and media attention. Possibly he looked at him and thought he didn’t quite have the mental maturity of the others and feared it might do damage.

Oh and re CDs.... I think Smalling should be brought back in but Southgate has made his mind up about him by the looks of it which is a shame as he has done really well at Roma.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Feb 2021 17:31

But we know Southgate.

Maguire plays well with a quick CB who can organize (i.e. Bailey)

Stones is prolly also benefitting from playing next to Diaz, who is constantly looking where everyone is and adjusting his (and his teammates) position.

Both decent, neither are great!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Feb 2021 08:04

Jamal Musiala scored in the CL for Bayern last night - will only intensify the race to cap this lad at senior level, for England and Germany.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Feb 2021 13:35

Sanguine Jamal Musiala scored in the CL for Bayern last night - will only intensify the race to cap this lad at senior level, for England and Germany.

Unfortunately Jamal wants to win things so, rather unsurprisingly, he’s just pledged his allegiance to Germany for future games. To be fair to him Germany is where he was born and he didn’t leave there until he was 7.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Feb 2021 13:41

Sutekh
Sanguine Jamal Musiala scored in the CL for Bayern last night - will only intensify the race to cap this lad at senior level, for England and Germany.

Unfortunately Jamal wants to win things so, rather unsurprisingly, he’s just pledged his allegiance to Germany for future games. To be fair to him Germany is where he was born and he didn’t leave there until he was 7.

That's a blow for England, Musiala having represented England at all age group levels. As you say, understandable though, and there's that alignment between Bayern and the national side that probably meant it was an inevitable decision once he 'went home' after leaving Chelsea's academy.

Musiala has quite a posh London accent - although based on Sancho's bizarre recent interview, he might lose that pretty soon.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Mar 2021 12:15

Will be interesting to see Southgate’s squad for the March games, seems to be a lot more players in the reckoning than usual for the Euros this summer, particularly for the striker and attacking midfield positions

It’s unfortunate we don’t quite have the same defensive depth as we do in the attacking areas, so no doubt we’ll be left with Dier again :|

At this point, what would everyone’s 23 man squad look like? I wonder how many (barring injuries) Southgate will 100% take at this point

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Mar 2021 12:26

URZZZZ Will be interesting to see Southgate’s squad for the March games, seems to be a lot more players in the reckoning than usual for the Euros this summer, particularly for the striker and attacking midfield positions

It’s unfortunate we don’t quite have the same defensive depth as we do in the attacking areas, so no doubt we’ll be left with Dier again :|

At this point, what would everyone’s 23 man squad look like? I wonder how many (barring injuries) Southgate will 100% take at this point

I think I'd go for a 23 man squad of:

Pickford
Pope
Henderson

Walker
Keane
Stones
Maguire
James
TAA
Saka or Shaw
Godfrey

Rice
Mount
Grealish - if fit
Henderson
Foden
Maddison
Dier

Kane
Sancho
DCL
Rashford
Sterling

Then would play

Pickford

TAA
Maguire
Stones
Godfrey

Rice
Grealish

Sterling
Foden/Maddison
Sancho

Kane

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Mar 2021 12:34

Hendo
URZZZZ Will be interesting to see Southgate’s squad for the March games, seems to be a lot more players in the reckoning than usual for the Euros this summer, particularly for the striker and attacking midfield positions

I think I'd go for a 23 man squad of:

Pickford
Pope
Henderson - McCarthy

Walker
Keane
Stones
Maguire
James - Saka and Shaw, I do like James but just for better balance in defence
TAA
Saka or Shaw
Godfrey

Rice
Mount
Grealish - if fit
Henderson
Foden
Maddison
Dier - Antonio, really think he’d be a good wild card as a plan B as most of the attackers are fairly similar IMO and post lockdown, he’s been one of the better players in the Prem. Never expect it though

Kane
Sancho
DCL
Rashford
Sterling

Then would play

Pickford

TAA
Maguire
Stones
Godfrey

Rice
Grealish

Sterling
Foden/Maddison
Sancho

Kane

Interesting - have changed what I’d do next to yours in terms of the 23 man squad

I’d argue there’s the opportunity for Coady, Mings, Chilwell, Ings, Ward Prowse, Phillips, Bamford, Watkins, Barkley, Greenwood, Barnes and Wan Bissaka too

May be an opportunity to experiment against San Marino in the international break as you’d expect a victory regardless of the team set out

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Mar 2021 13:32

Does England have any CBs with a bit of pace? Is Stones quick?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 02 Mar 2021 13:42

BR0B0T Does England have any CBs with a bit of pace? Is Stones quick?

Gomez is probably the quickest but who knows when he'll return and what long term damage the injury will have done to him pace wise.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Mar 2021 11:18

Really difficult to know England's best XI off the back of those 2 fixtures; Poland will be tougher but Lewandowski is out!

If Euro 2020, were tomorrow I'd probably go:

Pickford
James Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Henderson
Sterling Mount Grealish
Kane

Pickford's form isn't great, but giving someone the no.1 shirt on the eve of a tournament or big game is a risk that has backfired before (Green, Carson).

Great to see Stones at his best, and he is surely one of the first names, while nobody has emerged as a serious challenger to Maguire.

I think Alexander-Arnold is a better player than James, but form is everything before a tournament.

The midfield 3 will have energy and can press for 90 minutes. You could drop Henderson, give Mount a deeper role and make room for Foden, but it seems risky against big opposition and we'd miss Henderson's leadership and experience.

We'd have great, game changing, attacking options on the bench, which you need in a big tournament.

I fear Southgate may try 3-4-3, with Rice and Henderson in the middle, and Mount shoehorned out wide where he is less effective at the expense of Grealish. This should be an immediate sacking offence if he does. We'd not have the players or technical ability in midfield to keep possession and match the best teams.

3567 posts