England - the future....

3599 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by NathStPaul » 24 Jun 2021 09:13

BraisingsteakRoyal
Winston Biscuit Who in our squad can you envisage joining the list of England tournament deciding penalty missers?

I am going Philips or Shaw

Kane.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2021 09:35

Henderson absolutely nailed on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2021 09:36

I know our side of the draw looks easier, but I don't exactly fancy our chances against:
Germany
Netherlands
Wales
Denmark
Sweden

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2021 09:36

Snowflake Royal Henderson absolutely nailed on.

Would be surprised if he is in the first 5 after missing v Colombia in WC and missing one in the warm up games.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jun 2021 09:38

Hendo
Snowflake Royal Henderson absolutely nailed on.

Would be surprised if he is in the first 5 after missing v Colombia in WC and missing one in the warm up games.

He will want to take one though, he is the type to step up. Would have thought Southgate is the type of manager to give the players the choice rather than say who is or isn't taking them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2021 09:43

Yeah, one of the most senior players, vice captain(?), never scored for England but desperate to?

He'll volunteer

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 24 Jun 2021 09:44

Snowflake Royal I know our side of the draw looks easier, but I don't exactly fancy our chances against:
Germany
Netherlands
Wales
Denmark
Sweden

I fancy your chances against all of them. France, Spain and Italy are another level. But then, we are both glass half-empty sort of people. You are worried that England will slip up somewhere, and I am worried that you won't :wink:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Jun 2021 09:51

Snowflake Royal I know our side of the draw looks easier, but I don't exactly fancy our chances against:
Germany
Netherlands
Wales
Denmark
Sweden

What's changed since 2 days ago Ian?

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal Portugal, France and Germany are all beatable.

Not by England though

England could certainly beat Portugal. Germany aren't the force they were and France have struggled for goals so far.

Italy are the only team I think is a guaranteed loss if we go for it. Our problem against scotland was we just didn't try to win.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jun 2021 09:52

Snowflake Royal Yeah, one of the most senior players, vice captain(?), never scored for England but desperate to?

He'll volunteer

yeah good point. I almost feel bad for him already that he will be enemy no.1 at 7pm next Tuesday

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jun 2021 09:55

I've always blamed the players who would have been better at taking penalties but didn't step up rather than the players who missed who shouldn't have been taking them in the first place. Southgate at Euro 96 is an example, shouldn't have been near taking a penalty at that stage. "Hard man" Paul Ince was sat on the floor facing away from the penalties when he should have been stepping up to take one. Sure there have been numerous other examples down the years,

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Jun 2021 10:09

NathStPaul I've always blamed the players who would have been better at taking penalties but didn't step up rather than the players who missed who shouldn't have been taking them in the first place. Southgate at Euro 96 is an example, shouldn't have been near taking a penalty at that stage. "Hard man" Paul Ince was sat on the floor facing away from the penalties when he should have been stepping up to take one. Sure there have been numerous other examples down the years,

This

And ditto for Reading and Liam Moore

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jun 2021 10:10

NathStPaul I've always blamed the players who would have been better at taking penalties but didn't step up rather than the players who missed who shouldn't have been taking them in the first place. Southgate at Euro 96 is an example, shouldn't have been near taking a penalty at that stage. "Hard man" Paul Ince was sat on the floor facing away from the penalties when he should have been stepping up to take one. Sure there have been numerous other examples down the years,

McCleary leaving Moore and Obita to take one at Wembley

Never liked him after that - coward

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jun 2021 10:18

Though Ince missed against Argentina 2 years later.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jun 2021 10:22

WestYorksRoyal

Though Ince missed against Argentina 2 years later.

At least he bothered stepping up that time. No issue with players missing penalties in shootouts, not many harder situations you could be in.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 24 Jun 2021 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jun 2021 10:23

I have an issue with penalty takers missing the target

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2021 10:23

I'm already getting hyped for the game on Tuesday. Was a bit meh for the group games, serious shit now.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2021 10:24

Winston Biscuit I have an issue with penalty takers missing the target

+1

If the 'keeper saves it, fair enough. Professional footballers should not be missing the target from a dead-ball situation from 12 yards out.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jun 2021 10:30

Hendo

+1

If the 'keeper saves it, fair enough. Professional footballers should not be missing the target from a dead-ball situation from 12 yards out.

Absolutely. Anyone right down to Sunday league plodders and kids footballers can kick a ball on target from the penalty spot. A professional not even being able to get it on target is someone letting the occasion get to them and losing their head somewhat.

I also have a slight bit of an issue with poorly taken penalties that go in. The 'a penalty that goes in is a good penalty' mantra that gets rolled out couldn't be more wrong imo as it just encourages the continuation of taking penalties poorly

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jun 2021 10:33

Hendo I'm already getting hyped for the game on Tuesday. Was a bit meh for the group games, serious shit now.

It's funny how the mindset changes. I've spent most of the group stage knowing we'll need to improve against big teams to have a chance.

However, now we have the tie in thr the diary I'm thinking that we're we'll set up to keep them at arms length and hurt them on the counter. No rational reason for the surge in optimism; just the joys of being a fan.

I still remember in 2006 being convinced we'd step up against Portugal despite no evidence whatsoever that a good performance was coming. Maybe I should heed the warning this time.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jun 2021 10:35

Winston Biscuit
Hendo

+1

Absolutely. Anyone right down to Sunday league plodders and kids footballers can kick a ball on target from the penalty spot. A professional not even being able to get it on target is someone letting the occasion get to them and losing their head somewhat.

I also have a slight bit of an issue with poorly taken penalties that go in. The 'a penalty that goes in is a good penalty' mantra that gets rolled out couldn't be more wrong imo as it just encourages the continuation of taking penalties poorly

Dier's winning penalty against Colombia was really not a good one. But the odds are stacked in your favour as the taker; get it on target and even if it's not a good one you're giving yourself a decent chance.

3599 posts