England - the future....

3565 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: England - the future....

by Royal Rother » 23 Jun 2021 09:53

Sanguine
Snowflake Royal So little we didn't know.

England look good when they up the tempo and run at people.

England look shit when they aimlessly play negative tip tap in their defensive third.

England's defence looks very ropey

England's attack looks threatening when it gets in behind.

Saka really positive. Taking people on, running it, high tempo, direct, forward looking.

Grealish with the swagger.

I really liked the positive movement of Saka - the number of times he received the ball with his back to goal, and immediately spun and accelerated into space with the ball at his feet.

Agreed with all the above, especially re Saka. Far too positive. Doubt he'll start the next game.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Jun 2021 09:56

I liked how we set up last night, would like to keep it that way for the next one in terms of attacking players. Saka looked fearless, something we need a lot more of.
Only change I would make is Henderson in for Phillips/Rice.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 23 Jun 2021 10:50

NathStPaul I liked how we set up last night, would like to keep it that way for the next one in terms of attacking players. Saka looked fearless, something we need a lot more of.

Phillips has been our best player so far

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jun 2021 10:52

I thought 1st half last night was a decent performance, but the handbrake came on the 2nd half. This England team is frustrating, as they show flashes of good, dangerous attacking football but retreat into their shell too easily. It's a mindset thing, and I don't see personnel changes making much difference.

When we looked good last night, Saka and Grealish were central to all our best moments and must retain the shirt. In the first half, I thought Kane was much improved and was unlucky not to score, but in the second half our performance froze him out again.

And so onto a difficult match against France/Germany/Portugal. I think Southgate has set us up all tournament with such a game in mind. We look difficult to break down and have the runners to cause problems on the break. If it comes off, fair play to Southgate.

However, I can't escape the fear that how we're set up will slowly allow them to take control and grind us down. If that happens, I think it's utterly fair to question whether Southgate is right to build a style that doesn't utilise the excellent attacking talent of this generation of players.

He's set out his stall, and you live and die by these decisions as a manager.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Jun 2021 15:02

Simmops
NathStPaul I liked how we set up last night, would like to keep it that way for the next one in terms of attacking players. Saka looked fearless, something we need a lot more of.

has he bollox

thought we lost control of the midfield in the second half after Rice went off

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 23 Jun 2021 15:04

BR0B0T
Simmops

has he bollox

thought you were irish?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Jun 2021 15:08

Simmops
BR0B0T
Simmops Phillips has been our best player so far

has he bollox

thought you were irish?

not really...lived in England the longest and it was school age

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jun 2021 19:46

WestYorksRoyal I thought 1st half last night was a decent performance, but the handbrake came on the 2nd half. This England team is frustrating, as they show flashes of good, dangerous attacking football but retreat into their shell too easily. It's a mindset thing, and I don't see personnel changes making much difference.

When we looked good last night, Saka and Grealish were central to all our best moments and must retain the shirt. In the first half, I thought Kane was much improved and was unlucky not to score, but in the second half our performance froze him out again.

And so onto a difficult match against France/Germany/Portugal. I think Southgate has set us up all tournament with such a game in mind. We look difficult to break down and have the runners to cause problems on the break. If it comes off, fair play to Southgate.

However, I can't escape the fear that how we're set up will slowly allow them to take control and grind us down. If that happens, I think it's utterly fair to question whether Southgate is right to build a style that doesn't utilise the excellent attacking talent of this generation of players.

Agree with most of that

Main problem so far is a lack of space to play in. Foden, Mount, Grealish and co play in between the lines but we’ve played teams who have congested the middle of the park. Saka was a huge difference as someone who dropped deep but turned out and gave the opposition something to think about

Playing the likes of Germany/France/Portugal creates more space - think we can give a competitive game against them

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jun 2021 19:53

URZZZZ
WestYorksRoyal I thought 1st half last night was a decent performance, but the handbrake came on the 2nd half. This England team is frustrating, as they show flashes of good, dangerous attacking football but retreat into their shell too easily. It's a mindset thing, and I don't see personnel changes making much difference.

Agree with most of that

Main problem so far is a lack of space to play in. Foden, Mount, Grealish and co play in between the lines but we’ve played teams who have congested the middle of the park. Saka was a huge difference as someone who dropped deep but turned out and gave the opposition something to think about

Playing the likes of Germany/France/Portugal creates more space - think we can give a competitive game against them

I think people writing us off for the last 16 are rash; I can see how we're set up working well against the better teams. I'd say 50/50 against Germany or Portugal; maybe more like 25/75 against France.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Jun 2021 21:01

Really don't want to be playing Portugal next Tuesday.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Jun 2021 21:14

As it stands it is Hungary. :? :shock:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Jun 2021 22:06

Germany. Hmmmm

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jun 2021 07:53

WestYorksRoyal
URZZZZ

Agree with most of that

I think people writing us off for the last 16 are rash; I can see how we're set up working well against the better teams. I'd say 50/50 against Germany or Portugal; maybe more like 25/75 against France.

Agreed

Whilst we haven’t been particularly great (performance wise) so far, sometimes you step up to the nature of the opposition and find an extra gear - not sure how much you can use previous performances against lower ranked teams to gauge how well you’ll do against the top teams

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jun 2021 08:08

ICH ICH IC FCH

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 Jun 2021 08:11

Until next Tuesday, around 7pm.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Jun 2021 08:18

NathStPaul Until next Tuesday, around 7pm.

Might be a little later depending on how many penalties :wink:
21-20 might not be good for anyone’s health

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2021 08:21

At least we traditionally raise our game against the Germans, and they are definitely beatable...

Sterling and Saka can hurt them on the break.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jun 2021 09:08

Who in our squad can you envisage joining the list of England tournament deciding penalty missers?

I am going Philips or Shaw

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 24 Jun 2021 09:11

Winston Biscuit Who in our squad can you envisage joining the list of England tournament deciding penalty missers?

Kane.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2021 09:11

Winston Biscuit Who in our squad can you envisage joining the list of England tournament deciding penalty missers?

Kyle Walker.

3565 posts