Why does no one support England?

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Why does no one support England?

by Millsy » 14 Jun 2014 11:15

You'd have thought that living in England is enough of a reason to support the team, whether or not you're English, whether or not you even like football. It's the biggest sporting event of the most popular sport in the world and the country we live in is being represented.

Why then is it proving so hard to find ppl who actually care?

If I hear one more "I support Brazil" or "I don't like football" or "I only care about rugby" or "oh, when are we playing?" I'll go insane.

Is it the disappointment of previous campaigns, the lack of belief, the lack of patriotism? I'm confused.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Why does no one support England?

by Reading4eva » 14 Jun 2014 11:45

I will get another countries top from time to time dependant on an amazing team or my love of a country. I have only got two a Brazil top and two Mexico shirts. I do fancy that Dutch away shirt though, best top I've seen for some time

But when it comes to country, it mightily pisses me off when England are beaten. My cousin is part Portuguese and it irritates me that there is a dislike for England's football team.

This'll be our year. Watch everyone jump on the bandwagon again

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Jun 2014 12:38

I've just been talked into staying up and watching the game - beer permitting. I was planning on going to bed - I was that apathetic about England.

Hopefully a decent result tonight will reignite some enthusiasm. For me it's just the frustrating realisation that we really aren't very good.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Jun 2014 14:09

the disappointment of previous campaigns, the lack of belief

^ This for me pretty much. Bored of watching them be utter toilet & then get beaten on pens most times when they get out of the group.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 14 Jun 2014 15:47

I'd say the main reason is because England tend to play the most orthodox bog standard type of football that's long been surpassed by other leading nations and rarely threaten to trouble anyone of note. Hope it will change soon as it's long overdue.

England has a massive support, disproportionate to their success which is why many other nations and old rivals love to hate us. One thing's for sure, if England got to the semi-finals in thrilling circumstances those same people you're talking about would suddenly start saying 'I've always enjoyed watching England in tournaments' wearing the colours and be the reason it takes an hour to get served in the boozer for the game.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jun 2014 15:51

Ironic then that you are all Reading fans. We're sh*t and we know it but we will follow Reading whatever happens because it's our town.

How is this all of a sudden different with the England team?

(Not flaming, just friendly banter!)

I go insane when England play, moreso than Reading almost. I can't believe other football fans don't do the same. Just interesting to me that's all :)

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jun 2014 15:56

I only care about the domestic stuff. Although £40 up from a tenner so far, I'll keep an eye on the world cup (usually finish 1-2k up).

I just find it hard to like most of the England players over the past 10 or so years, I can't warm to the squads. With the Saints players and Hodgson it's a little more likable, but add in how entirely shit we've been (which tbf is hardly surprising and I can't see changing) it's hard to be overly enthusiastic.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 14 Jun 2014 16:20

2 world wars, 1 world cup Ironic then that you are all Reading fans. We're sh*t and we know it but we will follow Reading whatever happens because it's our town.

How is this all of a sudden different with the England team?

(Not flaming, just friendly banter!)

I go insane when England play, moreso than Reading almost. I can't believe other football fans don't do the same. Just interesting to me that's all :)

The dimensions have changed a little bit here.

Expectation and potential are the important factors I would say, or maybe you're just measuring the 'dormant' support that's yet to show itself.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1