UEFA Nations League

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2018 11:25

Draw made just now:

England in League A and drawn in a group with Spain and Croatia

Other groups in Division A:

Germany, France, Netherlands
Belgium, Switzerland, Iceland
Portugal, Poland, Italy

Group winners make the semi-finals. Team that finishes bottom of each group drop to League B:

League B:

Slovakia, Czech Republic, Ukraine
Russia, Sweden, Turkey
Austria, Bosnia, N.Ireland
Denmark, Wales, Republic of Ireland

League C:

Scotland, Albania, Israel
Hungary, Greece, Finland, Estonia
Slovenia, Bulgaria, Norway, Cyprus
Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Lithuania

League D:

Georgia, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Andorra
Belarus, Luxembourg, Moldova, San Marino
Azerbeijan, Faroes, Malta, Kosovo
Macedonia, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar, Armenia

Group winners promoted, bottom team relegated

16 teams who don't qualify for Euro 2020 via the normal qualifying will enter the play-offs for the last 4 spots.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: UEFA Nations League

by Hendo » 24 Jan 2018 11:29

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2018 11:34

Sorry no UEFA, not the official thread :wink:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jan 2018 13:24

Stranded

At least I posted in the right forum. International Football :wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2018 13:38

Hendo
Stranded

At least I posted in the right forum. International Football :wink:

Touche.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jan 2018 13:39

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 05 Jun 2019 12:17

When we beat Croatia to qualify for these finals I thought the country would go mad, but the build-up has been massively underwhelming / overshadowed.

I've backed Portugal and Holland to reach Sunday's final. Thoughts on England's chances ?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jun 2019 13:10

Zammo When we beat Croatia to qualify for these finals I thought the country would go mad, but the build-up has been massively underwhelming / overshadowed.

I've backed Portugal and Holland to reach Sunday's final. Thoughts on England's chances ?

Yep - it's been overshadowed by the behemoth that is club football and the fact that 4 English clubs were in the European Finals. If the CL had been Barca V Ajax then the build up would have been more hyped.

Can't call it really, Portugal must start favourites as hosts - think England's performance will depend on how knackered the players who were in those finals are really. Netherlands are improving but beatable so expect a 1-1 draw, the Dutch winning on pens before England lose 2-1 to Switzerland in the 3rd place play-off having put out a "B" Team.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 05 Jun 2019 18:15

Does anybody really care?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 05 Jun 2019 22:03

Ronaldo is rather good isn't he.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jun 2019 09:30

The Enfield Royal71 Does anybody really care?

No

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jun 2019 09:41

Speak for yourselves. The competition has been great so far, and I'd love for us to win it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Jun 2019 10:03

The Enfield Royal71 Does anybody really care?

As much as I care about any tournament. The group stage was great but I think the gap between those and the finals definitely kills momentum.

I also think, that in the UK at least, the games being on Sky only doesn't help. If the finals were on ITV then there would be more buzz and a pretty big audience tonight but question how many will actually head to the pub to watch it - if they don't have Sky Sports.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Jun 2019 06:50

Seriously? No comment about that worryingly poor performance last night?

I suppose 3 weeks without a game might be a factor but it looks like we’ve been rumbled already. I love the fact that we try to play out from the back but too many players have catastrophic mistakes in their lockers just waiting to be forced out. Press hard and the opposition know it’ll come. Probably several times on the evidence of last night.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 07 Jun 2019 08:47

Royal Rother Seriously? No comment about that worryingly poor performance last night?

I suppose 3 weeks without a game might be a factor but it looks like we’ve been rumbled already. I love the fact that we try to play out from the back but too many players have catastrophic mistakes in their lockers just waiting to be forced out. Press hard and the opposition know it’ll come. Probably several times on the evidence of last night.

It's in the International Football thread on the Nations League

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 07 Jun 2019 09:33

Royal Rother Seriously? No comment about that worryingly poor performance last night?

Game finished at 10.30pm and it's only just gone 9.30am. Gis a chance !

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Jun 2019 09:58

Worryingly poor?

At least you're consistent RR, you're fast becoming the new paultheroyal with all the hyperbole. One average game and suddenly the style that has served us well over the last two years you want to throw away.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jun 2019 11:29

It was poor esp extra time but England were also the length of a toe from winning in normal time.

Honestly, there were brain fart errors by two players mixed with performances from players who haven't played for nearly a month without the prep you would expect for a usual tournament. Not great but at this point will take it in isolation against a general path of improvement.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Jun 2019 14:29

Sanguine

Worryingly poor?

At least you're consistent RR, you're fast becoming the new paultheroyal with all the hyperbole. One average game and suddenly the style that has served us well over the last two years you want to throw away.

I have been hugely positive about the progress which has been seen in so many ways since Southgate took over but the very obvious failings seen last night cannot be brushed under the carpet

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jun 2019 14:30

A poor England performance in the Auto Windscreens Shield of international football so doubt anyone cares too much. Defensively the team were tired and slow and full of laughs in the last half hour. Offered little threat going forward - does all this remind you of anyone?

Can't wait to see if it's all the same next June or whether anything will have changed against the better teams.