Euro 2020

2571 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by BR0B0T » 15 Jun 2021 22:44

Ascotexgunner Things are getting desperate....Werner's on.
I can't remember a major tournament where Germany have been so weak up front. They have always had a striker/frontman that brings fear to defenders.......Klose, Muller, Bonhoff, Klinsmann, Kuntz (careful), Allofs, Bierhoff to name a few. Even bloody Podolski was up there.

I really hope Wales get smashed tomorrow

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 15 Jun 2021 22:46

Having seen tonight, if we play Germany I’ll be less worried about not getting to the QFs. Portugal were nothing special either. France will win that group with wins against both.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jun 2021 22:58

Franchise FC
URZZZZ
Franchise FC But that was against a Czech side that were, supposedly, the weakest team in the group

They beat us in qualifiers :wink:

I get what you’re saying but doesn’t mean they played awfully - let’s not forget you’re comparing a £42 million striker against Lyndon Dykes

Although I do think Clarke made an error not starting Che Adams - looked sharp off the bench

Am I ?
I thought I was comparing team to team (and who is the £42m striker)
Should I be comparing Dykes to Kane ? Kane was a free, after all :wink:

Sure, team to team was fairly even, big difference was the contrast in both teams’ striker

Dare I say McBurnie was a miss :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Jun 2021 23:01

URZZZZ
Franchise FC
URZZZZ
They beat us in qualifiers :wink:

I get what you’re saying but doesn’t mean they played awfully - let’s not forget you’re comparing a £42 million striker against Lyndon Dykes

Although I do think Clarke made an error not starting Che Adams - looked sharp off the bench

Am I ?

Sure, team to team was fairly even, big difference was the contrast in both teams’ striker

Not sure what has happened to McBurnie. He looked like a decent striker a couple of years ago.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jun 2021 23:01

Zip
URZZZZ
Ascotexgunner
And we got one. And the second goal was comedy gold. Classic Scottish goalkeeping at a major tournament.
Surprised they didn't resort to throwing the odd arm in the air in desperation.
Wonder if Clarke had a chat at halftime with the Czech football federation, to see if a job was a job going.
So many positives to take from their performance today....is their more crap than I game them credit for.

Am I the only one who didn’t think they were that bad?

Missed a few chances, didn’t give much away, slightly unlucky with a few deflections etc

Difference being the quality of finishing but that aside, thought Scotland made a fairly good account of themselves

Yes and no. Yes in that they created plenty of chances and really should have got something from the game and no in that the Czech side is very ordinary and lost recently to Wales in a WC qualifier where Wales played poorly but got the win. I can’t see them getting anything off England. However the Croatia game is by no means a write off. Can see them getting something from that game although a win is likely to be beyond them.

Clarke is a decent enough manager - against the odds (in 90 minutes) he got us a draw against Arsenal in the FA Cup with his tactics - think he’ll have a clear game plan to nullify our strengths on Friday - predict a tight game

May see a start for Gilmour although would be a massive gamble

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 15 Jun 2021 23:03

Enjoyed that game. I was in France during the 2016 semi-final match between France and Germany and it was a great night when they won that match. The town erupted in a good way.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jun 2021 23:04

Zip
URZZZZ
Franchise FC
Am I ?

Not sure what has happened to McBurnie. He looked like a decent striker a couple of years ago.

Injured at the moment - but not sure Sheffield was a great career choice for him - even with their highly successful season last year, they don’t create tons of chances for their forwards. Could be a similar vein to Gayle, Murray, Sharp etc in that he’s a decent Champ forward but can’t make the step up

Don’t think his attitude is great either - been in trouble a few times now

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 15 Jun 2021 23:05

Zip
URZZZZ
Franchise FC
Am I ?

It's harder when you can't pad your stats by playing against Reading.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Jun 2021 23:08

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

Injured at the moment - but not sure Sheffield was a great career choice for him - even with their highly successful season last year, they don’t create tons of chances for their forwards. Could be a similar vein to Gayle, Murray, Sharp etc in that he’s a decent Champ forward but can’t make the step up

Don’t think his attitude is great either - been in trouble a few times now

It’s the attitude thing that’s surprised me. Question marks over his commitment. Agree the move to Sheffield United wasn’t a good one.Certainly very decent at Championship level.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Jun 2021 23:11

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

Missed a few chances, didn’t give much away, slightly unlucky with a few deflections etc

Difference being the quality of finishing but that aside, thought Scotland made a fairly good account of themselves

Yes and no. Yes in that they created plenty of chances and really should have got something from the game and no in that the Czech side is very ordinary and lost recently to Wales in a WC qualifier where Wales played poorly but got the win. I can’t see them getting anything off England. However the Croatia game is by no means a write off. Can see them getting something from that game although a win is likely to be beyond them.

Clarke is a decent enough manager - against the odds (in 90 minutes) he got us a draw against Arsenal in the FA Cup with his tactics - think he’ll have a clear game plan to nullify our strengths on Friday - predict a tight game

Yeah Scotland have improved under Clarke. They will give England a game. They will certainly need Tierney fit though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jun 2021 08:07

Mr Angry
Hendo
Mr Angry The xG comparison for the Scotland/Czechia game was 2.29 - 1.25; so on that matrix, Scotland should have won.

As a comparison, the England v Croatia xG was 1.5 - 0.54.

I read this morning that Schick's 2nd goal had an xG of 0.01 - in other words, a 1 in a hundred chance of a goal.......

I find that hard to believe tbh. Yeah it was a great goal, but I would still back most strikers (especially those playing at international level) to put it in from where he was and where the keeper was. Does xG even take into consideration where the keeper is?

I did as well, but that is what xGPhilosophy estimated it at...

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... _republic/

One of the examples of why xG is just a slightly better shit methodology than all the others rather than the holy grail truth engine so many make it out to be.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Jun 2021 08:37

Since turning 30 years old Ronaldo has 49 goals in 48 games for Portugal

lol

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Jun 2021 09:30

Hendo
Orion1871
Hendo This flag at the last second business is oxf*rd nonsense.

It's going to lead to a serious injury at some point.

100% agreed. Someone is going to snap a hamstring or an ACL and be out for months and months and it might not be a striker, could easily be a defender who suffers.

Hasn't it already happened with Van Dijk?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Jun 2021 09:47

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo
Orion1871

100% agreed. Someone is going to snap a hamstring or an ACL and be out for months and months and it might not be a striker, could easily be a defender who suffers.

Ah shit, yeah I guess it did.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jun 2021 09:48

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo
Orion1871

Think Patricio was kicked in the head in the (Liverpool?) game as a result of it too although IIRC that offside wasn’t as clear cut as some of the others they’ve let go

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jun 2021 13:00

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

Presume it to be Steve Clarke’s first return to Wembley since that FA Cup semi.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 16 Jun 2021 13:48

Very impressed with France, who seemed capable of shifting up a gear or two. Mbappe is terrifyingly quick and what a shame his goal was ruled out. Defensively solid with Kante everywhere and Pogba one of those players who plays better for his country than his club. He was immense. I really cannot see anyone beating them.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 16 Jun 2021 13:55

Ark Royal Very impressed with France, who seemed capable of shifting up a gear or two. Mbappe is terrifyingly quick and what a shame his goal was ruled out. Defensively solid with Kante everywhere and Pogba one of those players who plays better for his country than his club. He was immense. I really cannot see anyone beating them.

Added to that, that was probably the worst German performance since we beat them 5-1 in Munich back in 2001; they looked all in.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 Jun 2021 14:03

ROFLussia defending

edit: oxf*rd VAR
Last edited by Simmops on 16 Jun 2021 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Jun 2021 14:04

Boooooooo.

2571 posts