Euro 2020

2571 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by bcubed » 04 Aug 2021 15:24

Even later than my Open golf report, here’s my experiences of the Euros.

Managed to get semi final tickets via England Supporters route and could have got final tickets the same way. As it was I got the final tickets first via the UEFA site directly.

Great days out both times and enjoyed the time in the pub beforehand. The atmosphere at the semifinal was unbelievable and I’ve never heard a crowd that loud, not even the Wigan game at the Madstad! The national anthem was deafening. Obviously the game itself was superb, but mainly because of the result, more than the performance.

Afterwards everyone stayed in the ground for ages to cheer the team and as a result there was a total standstill as people walked (or for long periods, just stood!). Journey home dreadful

Covid wise it was as awful as you’ve now heard. The checks on Covid passports or NHS emails were cursory at best. The guy looked at my phone for less than a second and waved me on. I doubt he even saw the QR code, never mind actually scanning it, which I naively thought he would do. The ticket app worked well though so that’s nice !

Inside the ground I would suggest only 5% of people were wearing masks as they queued for drinks and toilets. Very uncomfortable for anyone concerned about Covid and I remarked that if you tried to devise an event to maximise the spread of the disease it would look like this. Likewise on the tube and train. People huddled together. No masks. No awareness.

The final was also a great day out, until the equaliser. From that point on I just felt we were going to lose on penalties. It’s great to get there of course but I can’t help feel this was a huge opportunity to win a major event on our home soil and we just didn’t go for it in the second half nor after they scored. And with so much talent available on the bench.

The Covid situation was even worse than the semi. Didn’t see any of the people gate crashing or sitting in others seats. But again no mask wearing and no concept that the situation was likely to spread Covid.

My son caught Covid just afterwards and it’s no surprise.

Overall two really good days out despite the disappointment of the final, but the idea these were some sort of controlled trial events is laughable

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Dec 2021 11:51

Report on Wembley fiasco says “ticketless thugs” could have caused deaths

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59516147

Didn’t experience this myself but the event was a shambles (as previous post) from a Covid standpoint
It was clearly a shambles generally

Not sure I would consider holding many future events here if I was in UEFA or FIFA

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Dec 2021 11:09

bcubed Report on Wembley fiasco says “ticketless thugs” could have caused deaths

Didn’t experience this myself but the event was a shambles (as previous post) from a Covid standpoint

Not sure I would consider holding many future events here if I was in UEFA or FIFA

Surprised that on a football forum there are no comments on this. Is it being discussed on another thread?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 14 Dec 2021 21:50

bcubed
bcubed Report on Wembley fiasco says “ticketless thugs” could have caused deaths

Surprised that on a football forum there are no comments on this. Is it being discussed on another thread?

Shambles says it, bcubed. Was a strange time wasn't it?

As for future events - UEFA and FIFA don't choose host venues based on organisation or safety considerations.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Dec 2021 09:14

bcubed

I don’t think there is much to add here. Thugs embarrass the country. Having said that I would have expected much better security.
From a covid point of view nothing has changed at sporting venues. I was at the Cheltenham race meeting last week. There was a board up stating you had to have proof of vaccination etc etc yet there were zero checks being undertaken.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Dec 2021 10:29

Zip
bcubed

I don’t think there is much to add here. Thugs embarrass the country. Having said that I would have expected much better security.
From a covid point of view nothing has changed at sporting venues. I was at the Cheltenham race meeting last week. There was a board up stating you had to have proof of vaccination etc etc yet there were zero checks being undertaken.

There's literally a phone app that does just that, in seconds and stores no data. There's no reason why it isn't used

https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/covid-19-respon ... ifier-app/

Tried it on my own pass for the LOLz

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Dec 2021 10:38

Green
bcubed

As for future events - UEFA and FIFA don't choose host venues based on organisation or safety considerations.

It was strange to say the least
Did you also go to the game Green?

And host venues can surely lose out on selection as venues for major events if their safety record is shit?
Last edited by bcubed on 15 Dec 2021 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Dec 2021 10:41

Uke
Zip
bcubed

There's literally a phone app that does just that, in seconds and stores no data. There's no reason why it isn't used

Policing etc. has been rightly criticised and the only reason given for it being so poor is the lack of resources due to dealing with or suffering from Covid.

And the experience of someone on checking Covid test emails was similar to my own. The phones were just not looked at and I bet this doesn’t change at events now.

“There was a guy in front of us who showed them an email from Argos, that got him in."

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Dec 2021 11:20

bcubed
Uke
Zip

Policing etc. has been rightly criticised and the only reason given for it being so poor is the lack of resources due to dealing with or suffering from Covid.

And the experience of someone on checking Covid test emails was similar to my own. The phones were just not looked at and I bet this doesn’t change at events now.

“There was a guy in front of us who showed them an email from Argos, that got him in."

Precisely, also the private security guards making a mint on the side...

I really don't think too many people knows what a real, valid, COVID pass looks like - certainly not those who are "checking"

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Dec 2021 16:48

bcubed
Green
bcubed

And host venues can surely lose out on selection as venues for major events if their safety record is shit?

Nope. Don't think I've ever been to an England game now I think of it.

I don't mind a bit of argy-bargy but scenes like that don't particularly want to make me break my duck. I imagine it's a similar atmosphere to an Oasis or Kasabian gig.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Dec 2021 20:09

Green
bcubed
Green Shambles says it, bcubed. Was a strange time wasn't it?

Nope. Don't think I've ever been to an England game now I think of it.

I don't mind a bit of argy-bargy but scenes like that don't particularly want to make me break my duck. I imagine it's a similar atmosphere to an Oasis or Kasabian gig.

No I wouldn't have thought there were too many new fans on the back of that debacle

2571 posts