Euro 2020

2571 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Euro 2020

by Westwood52 » 12 Jul 2021 10:06

I thought selecting Trippier was a very strange decision;however the Management got that spot on.However the great managers play cat and mouse with each other and counter each other’s moves.From ten minutes in to full time,Italy dominated.Southgate needed to react,as Italy continued to dominate;clearly shortly after half time it should have been Grealish for Mount giving Mancini something to think about.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2021 10:07

Overall an excellent tournament for England but unfortunately there were a couple of things that I think cost them last night. After the Shaw goal, the Italians were gone, they were rattled. It completely threw them off and you could tell they didn't know how to react initially.

That was the time to go for them and push hard for a second, however, it seemed that the plan was always to try and get ahead and then back themselves to see it out. Trying to do that for 88 mins is tough and even tougher to revert to a more attacking formation once the almost inevitable equaliser goes in.

Secondly, I will never ever be a fan of bringing players on with 3 or 4 mins to go when the only reason for doing so is for them to take a penalty as I feel it amplifies the tension - to ask a player to sit there for over 2 hours knowing he is going to be asked to come on and do one thing and one thing only doesn't sit right for me. Why not bring them on at HT in ET and allow them to maybe even influence the game positively - they are almost put in a no win situation.

On small things are tournaments won and lost but the England team and management can be proud of their Euros. There will be plenty of pressure in Qatar now - WC Semis, to Euros Finalist - if they keep on that path then the expectation will be for them to go one better in 15 months time. The short turnaround between tournaments may actually help them.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 12 Jul 2021 10:11

Hendo Learn to oxf*rd spell players names correctly, my god.

It’s Oxford.It’s just up the road isn’t it ? Dreaming spires and all that,with a notorious housing estate ,the name of which I won’t attempt to spell.Given how much it winds you up.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2021 10:13

Westwood52

It’s Oxford.It’s just up the road isn’t it ? Dreaming spires and all that,with a notorious housing estate ,the name of which I won’t attempt to spell.Given how much it winds you up.

I can't post enough :| to justify this reply.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2021 10:15

Westwood52

Will assume you aren't aware of the swear filter on here then. That's the only oxf*rd excuse.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jul 2021 10:15

Winston Biscuit Didn't find the early group games very exciting but from the 3rd group games onwards through the knockout games the do-or-die element worked as it should and upped things hugely. Overall it gets a big thumbs up from me (despite the final result)

And as pretty much everyone has said, the refs were a very decent standard and VAR was a disaster, which is an improvement.

I think you can go through the England squad and the considerable majority have seen their reputations enhanced.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jul 2021 10:15

Stranded
Why not bring them on at HT in ET and allow them to maybe even influence the game positively - they are almost put in a no win situation.

Think he wanted to but part of the issue is deciding who comes off

You’re obviously not taking Kane off before penalties
Grealish had only just come on
Guess there was the potential to take Saka and Sterling off but that would have been harsh on Saka

Think it’s one of those things where sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Unfortunately for us it was the latter

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 12 Jul 2021 10:16

WestYorksRoyal I'm relieved we won't be hosting any major tournaments for the foreseeable future to be honest.

Getting overly patriotic, I'm convinced that those scenes are not representative of the values we hold as a country, and several thousand fans is still actually only a tiny fraction of the 30 million viewers on TV. But the scenes and social media abuse just look so awful and upsetting, and have probably upset me more than the result.

Certainly blown it for any chance of holding a tournament in the foreseeable future. What is the matter with these people?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Jul 2021 10:19

Zip
Winston Biscuit Didn't find the early group games very exciting but from the 3rd group games onwards through the knockout games the do-or-die element worked as it should and upped things hugely. Overall it gets a big thumbs up from me (despite the final result)

And as pretty much everyone has said, the refs were a very decent standard and VAR was a disaster, which is an improvement.

I think you can go through the England squad and the considerable majority have seen their reputations enhanced.

Kalvin Philips agent has a busy few weeks ahead for him!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2021 10:22

URZZZZ
Stranded
Why not bring them on at HT in ET and allow them to maybe even influence the game positively - they are almost put in a no win situation.

Think he wanted to but part of the issue is deciding who comes off

You’re obviously not taking Kane off before penalties
Grealish had only just come on
Guess there was the potential to take Saka and Sterling off but that would have been harsh on Saka

Think it’s one of those things where sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Unfortunately for us it was the latter

Fair enough - like I say just a personal view and something I would have like to have seen avoided. Downside of too much choice from the bench these days I guess and having more flexibility to do things like that.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2021 10:24

Winston Biscuit
Zip

Oh for sure. Think he'd be better off at Leeds for another season but there is no way one of the big boys won't come in for him.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jul 2021 10:27

Westwood52

Sorry, I'll make it clearer for you.

Learn to fucking spell the players names correctly, my god.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jul 2021 10:28

The number of people I've seen calling Saka "Sako", jesus

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jul 2021 10:30

NathStPaul
Winston Biscuit
Zip

Oh for sure. Think he'd be better off at Leeds for another season but there is no way one of the big boys won't come in for him.

Both the Manchester clubs could do with a better holding midfielder, though I don't know if he'd countenance a move to United being Leeds born and bred.

If the likes of Spurs or Arsenal are interested, is there any point? Bielsa's Leeds probably a better bet.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jul 2021 10:32

WestYorksRoyal
NathStPaul
Winston Biscuit

Both the Manchester clubs could do with a better holding midfielder, though I don't know if he'd countenance a move to United being Leeds born and bred.

If the likes of Spurs or Arsenal are interested, is there any point? Bielsa's Leeds probably a better bet.

Spurs were the club that came to mind who really need him. Are they going to spend £70million? Not a chance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jul 2021 10:32

genome

The number of people I've seen calling Saka "Sako", jesus

It is just common decency. If you're not sure, just oxf*rd google it.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 12 Jul 2021 10:45

Winston Biscuit I am quite surprised at the scale of the trouble tbh. With beer and camera phones there are always going to be incidents captured on film, but those will generally be isolated things and will be much more about some blokes not being able to cope with drinking than anything else. But some of the stuff yesterday was quite shocking. The people trying to force their way into the ground are not a small group of mates, its a sizable crowd of people.

In the past I have always written off criticism of our football/beery crowd trouble as something that probably happens elsewhere anyway and we just don't see it reported. But I am starting to think this countries belmont element may be a fair bit bigger than other nations

^^ Was saying to someone this morning that things seem to have shifted in this country the last couple of tourneys. The d*ckhead element is on the rise in the UK, and probably unrelated to football, but football brings them all out at once

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Jul 2021 10:49

John Madejski's Wallet
Winston Biscuit I am quite surprised at the scale of the trouble tbh. With beer and camera phones there are always going to be incidents captured on film, but those will generally be isolated things and will be much more about some blokes not being able to cope with drinking than anything else. But some of the stuff yesterday was quite shocking. The people trying to force their way into the ground are not a small group of mates, its a sizable crowd of people.

In the past I have always written off criticism of our football/beery crowd trouble as something that probably happens elsewhere anyway and we just don't see it reported. But I am starting to think this countries belmont element may be a fair bit bigger than other nations

^^ Was saying to someone this morning that things seem to have shifted in this country the last couple of tourneys. The d*ckhead element is on the rise in the UK, and probably unrelated to football, but football brings them all out at once

As usual the Press with it's headline "bantz" stokes up the "it's a battle" type mentality.

Add a ridiculously populist government on top of it.

At least Nige got booed and a couple bottles thrown at him when he turned up after slagging off the team earlier for their "Marxism".

Did Patel get a ticket?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jul 2021 11:21

Grealish has responded to Roy Keane’s criticism of him not taking a pen last night. He said he put his name forward but Southgate stuck with the original plan.

Saka looked overawed last night - leaving him as 5th on the list (established in training) was terrible management.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jul 2021 11:39

Great tournament, brilliant by England, its been some turnaround in 3 years. Southgate to stay.

With regards to penalties, not sure what the stats say but i bet its a high percentage of late subs coming on to take penalties actually miss them.

To think it was 3 of our late subs who all missed.

Surely, any pro football can strike a ball. Maguire showed how you should take a penalty. Those who play the majority of the game should be the ones stepping up - but hey ho!

2571 posts