Euro 2020

2571 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Jun 2021 22:08

WestYorksRoyal How are people's home nations sympathies today? I'm hoping for a hilariously inept Scotland display.

And we got one. And the second goal was comedy gold. Classic Scottish goalkeeping at a major tournament.
Surprised they didn't resort to throwing the odd arm in the air in desperation.
Wonder if Clarke had a chat at halftime with the Czech football federation, to see if a job was a job going.
So many positives to take from their performance today....is their more crap than I game them credit for.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 14 Jun 2021 22:17

Anyone else keep thinking of The Karate Kid during the Spanish game?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 15 Jun 2021 09:40

If the phrase 'all fur coat and no knickers' ever applied to a team, it would apply to Spain. Could not finish a packet of crisps.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jun 2021 10:22

Ascotexgunner
WestYorksRoyal How are people's home nations sympathies today? I'm hoping for a hilariously inept Scotland display.

And we got one. And the second goal was comedy gold. Classic Scottish goalkeeping at a major tournament.
Wonder if Clarke had a chat at halftime with the Czech football federation, to see if a job was a job going.
So many positives to take from their performance today....is their more crap than I game them credit for.

Am I the only one who didn’t think they were that bad?

Missed a few chances, didn’t give much away, slightly unlucky with a few deflections etc

Difference being the quality of finishing but that aside, thought Scotland made a fairly good account of themselves

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Jun 2021 10:25

URZZZZ
Ascotexgunner

Missed a few chances, didn’t give much away, slightly unlucky with a few deflections etc

Difference being the quality of finishing but that aside, thought Scotland made a fairly good account of themselves

But that was against a Czech side that were, supposedly, the weakest team in the group

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jun 2021 10:28

Franchise FC
URZZZZ
Ascotexgunner

But that was against a Czech side that were, supposedly, the weakest team in the group

They beat us in qualifiers :wink:

I get what you’re saying but doesn’t mean they played awfully - let’s not forget you’re comparing a £42 million striker against Lyndon Dykes

Although I do think Clarke made an error not starting Che Adams - looked sharp off the bench

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Jun 2021 10:36

URZZZZ
Franchise FC
URZZZZ

I get what you’re saying but doesn’t mean they played awfully - let’s not forget you’re comparing a £42 million striker against Lyndon Dykes

Although I do think Clarke made an error not starting Che Adams - looked sharp off the bench

Am I ?
I thought I was comparing team to team (and who is the £42m striker)
Should I be comparing Dykes to Kane ? Kane was a free, after all :wink:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 15 Jun 2021 10:50

The xG comparison for the Scotland/Czechia game was 2.29 - 1.25; so on that matrix, Scotland should have won.

As a comparison, the England v Croatia xG was 1.5 - 0.54.

I read this morning that Schick's 2nd goal had an xG of 0.01 - in other words, a 1 in a hundred chance of a goal.......

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jun 2021 11:05

Mr Angry The xG comparison for the Scotland/Czechia game was 2.29 - 1.25; so on that matrix, Scotland should have won.

I read this morning that Schick's 2nd goal had an xG of 0.01 - in other words, a 1 in a hundred chance of a goal.......

I find that hard to believe tbh. Yeah it was a great goal, but I would still back most strikers (especially those playing at international level) to put it in from where he was and where the keeper was. Does xG even take into consideration where the keeper is?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Jun 2021 12:03

Whenever I see Steve Clarke at a press conference I always think of “Steve” from Cuckoo (Kenneth Collard)

seven days poem

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 15 Jun 2021 12:14

URZZZZ Thought Scotland played well without that finishing touch

Mistake from Clarke IMO to bring off Dykes who aside from the misses, was having a decent game - never looked the same after he came off

What's wrong with his Mrs?

Seems ok to me:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Jun 2021 12:15

URZZZZ
Ascotexgunner

Yes and no. Yes in that they created plenty of chances and really should have got something from the game and no in that the Czech side is very ordinary and lost recently to Wales in a WC qualifier where Wales played poorly but got the win. I can’t see them getting anything off England. However the Croatia game is by no means a write off. Can see them getting something from that game although a win is likely to be beyond them.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 15 Jun 2021 12:43

Hendo
Mr Angry The xG comparison for the Scotland/Czechia game was 2.29 - 1.25; so on that matrix, Scotland should have won.

I find that hard to believe tbh. Yeah it was a great goal, but I would still back most strikers (especially those playing at international level) to put it in from where he was and where the keeper was. Does xG even take into consideration where the keeper is?

I did as well, but that is what xGPhilosophy estimated it at...

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... _republic/

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Jun 2021 14:13

Why is there no 2pm game today? Poor form Euro schedulers.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 15 Jun 2021 14:28

Franchise FC
URZZZZ
Franchise FC But that was against a Czech side that were, supposedly, the weakest team in the group

Am I ?
I thought I was comparing team to team (and who is the £42m striker)
Should I be comparing Dykes to Kane ? Kane was a free, after all :wink:

Sorry Spurs fans but Kane was awful on Sunday,didn’t realise he was so slow;slower than Laurent even.Laurent would get in the Scotland team;so would most of our lot.Their only quality players are McGinn and Robertson.Hasn’t Olise got a Scottish great grandfather somewhere ;he seems to be qualified for half a dozen international teams.I reckon half the Championship teams would beat Scotland (and my lot Wales).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Jun 2021 14:40

URZZZZ
Ascotexgunner

I thought Scotland were pretty decent - just needed a striker of note. But Czech keeper had a blinder.

With the inevitable lift in intensity they will get from playing the auld enemy I can certainly see them giving us some problems on Friday.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jun 2021 16:29

Early goal will be key on Friday. Get one in the first 5 mins and it should be a lot easier.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 15 Jun 2021 17:06

Ronaldo is such a petulant oxf*rd child

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 15 Jun 2021 17:54

Only just noticed that if we win our group we play 2nd in Group F; Germany France Portugal or Hungary in the Knockout stage.

And that some teams who finish third in the group will also be in that knock out stage. :|

Shambles of a tournament.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Jun 2021 18:20

Liking the look of Hungaries #13 András Schäfer

Battling for everything everywhere often winning 50/50 challenges

Only 22...what chance?

2571 posts