Euro 2020

2571 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by URZZZZ » 26 Aug 2020 15:56

Old Man Andrews Antonio is a very good hold up player, very strong. He reminds me a little bit of Heskey in that sense. Works extremely hard too. Sort of player I'd want to bring on after 80 minutes if my side are winning to chase down defenders and keep possesion.

That’s the thing, he can be used in a lot of different ways/roles

If I was a defender and I’d just faced Sancho/Sterling/Kane etc I wouldn’t then want to go up against him

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Aug 2020 16:00

WestYorksRoyal You may be right about Rice being better off as a big player at West Ham. It's just infuriating; the DM position has been our key weakness for several years and nobody has stepped up to make it their own.

We seem to have an abundance of attacking talents coming through and nothing further back.

Apparently Bellingham has played the role for Birmingham at times, so hopefully Dortmund can build upon that. We don't need another option for the no.10 role.

Edit: final point. I agree harsh on Dunk and Tarkowski, but how do they fit with Southgate's wish for modern defenfers who can play out? And if you wanted more of an "old school" defender who can organise and lead a defence, Chris Smalling has had a great loan season at Roma and is still only 30.

Seem to have a load of RB’s too, Trent, Walker, Trippier, AWB. Agreed that most the other defensive positions are lacking true quality talent

I think Henderson is able to play the DM role against the majority of countries who sit back and defend, as there isn’t as much need for a pure holding midfielder but I think against the big teams, we have lacked a true midfielder to play the role (Fabinho/Fernandinho role). I guess that may have been a contributing factor to why we used a 5 at the back in the World Cup campaign

Haven’t particularly watched football abroad so can’t comment on Smalling, but on Dunk, pretty sure Brighton play a passing game from the back so he may be able to slot in comfortably. Being honest, it’s not as if Michael Keane is particularly good at it yet he finds himself in the squad

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Aug 2020 17:04

URZZZZ
WestYorksRoyal You may be right about Rice being better off as a big player at West Ham. It's just infuriating; the DM position has been our key weakness for several years and nobody has stepped up to make it their own.

We seem to have an abundance of attacking talents coming through and nothing further back.

Apparently Bellingham has played the role for Birmingham at times, so hopefully Dortmund can build upon that. We don't need another option for the no.10 role.

Edit: final point. I agree harsh on Dunk and Tarkowski, but how do they fit with Southgate's wish for modern defenfers who can play out? And if you wanted more of an "old school" defender who can organise and lead a defence, Chris Smalling has had a great loan season at Roma and is still only 30.

Seem to have a load of RB’s too, Trent, Walker, Trippier, AWB. Agreed that most the other defensive positions are lacking true quality talent

I think Henderson is able to play the DM role against the majority of countries who sit back and defend, as there isn’t as much need for a pure holding midfielder but I think against the big teams, we have lacked a true midfielder to play the role (Fabinho/Fernandinho role). I guess that may have been a contributing factor to why we used a 5 at the back in the World Cup campaign

Haven’t particularly watched football abroad so can’t comment on Smalling, but on Dunk, pretty sure Brighton play a passing game from the back so he may be able to slot in comfortably. Being honest, it’s not as if Michael Keane is particularly good at it yet he finds himself in the squad

I could see Gomez and Maguire being a good partnership, and Chilwell is an adequate LB if not a world beater. You don't need world class talent in every role to win international tournaments, look at France with Giroud up front. The bigger issue is that against the best teams, we can't control possession well enough and our talented front line gets no supply.

Hopefully another year for Foden without Silva in his way can address some of that. But I still think you want someone in the deeper role. Basically Carrick was 10 years too early and wasted by England when he was around. In his pomp, he'd have been perfect alongside the energy of Henderson and attacking role of Foden.

Carrick, Gerrard/Lampard and Scholes would have been good enough to compete in any tournament, along with Ferdinand behind playing out. But I should probably get over how much we wasted that generation.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Nov 2020 21:37

HAHAHAHA Scotland.....Typical.....Can always rely on them for comedy.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2020 21:43

Ascotexgunner HAHAHAHA Scotland.....Typical.....Can always rely on them for comedy.

oxf*rd them.Cheating pcunts. I have a long memory.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Nov 2020 21:46

Zip
Ascotexgunner HAHAHAHA Scotland.....Typical.....Can always rely on them for comedy.

oxf*rd them.Cheating pcunts. I have a long memory.

Same. 78 and 86 still cuts deep. Cmon Serbia.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2020 22:22

FFS. Bloody Scots.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Nov 2020 22:23

B*LL*cks.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2020 22:25

I hope England hammer them in the Finals.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Nov 2020 22:27

2020 is a very weird year.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Nov 2020 22:45

Pleased for the Scotch

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2020 23:03

Winston Biscuit Pleased for the Scotch

I’m not. I don’t have a problem with Scotland apart from their national football team. I may never see Wales in a World Cup Finals in my lifetime. The Joe Jordan handball in 77 resulting in them winning a penalty was appalling. Cheating paid. Whoever won qualified for the finals. Then when we were winning in the final stages of the winner takes all qualifier in 85 they were awarded an incredibly harsh penalty.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Nov 2020 23:06

Zip

I’m not. I don’t have a problem with Scotland apart from their national football team. I may never see Wales in a World Cup Finals in my lifetime. The Joe Jordan handball in 77 resulting in them winning a penalty was appalling. Cheating paid. Whoever won qualified for the finals. Then when we were winning in the final stages of the winner takes all qualifier in 85 they were awarded an incredibly harsh penalty.

You've got to let that go Zip. Get your kilt ordered for next summer.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2020 23:08

Old Man Andrews
Zip

You've got to let that go Zip. Get your kilt ordered for next summer.

:lol: I like to hold a grudge my darling.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Nov 2020 03:37

N.Ireland lose in extra time whilst Iceland let in 2 in the last 2 mins to lose to Hungary.

North Macedonia take the whipping boys ticket.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Nov 2020 08:41

LOLz @ the bitterness of the Welsh

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Nov 2020 14:16

I was listening to Ken Bruce this morning on route to a claim. Apparently the Scottish National team have adopted Yes sir I can Boogie as their anthem and he played them singing it (very badly) after last night’s game. For a few seconds I felt myself softening up a bit and almost feeling pleased for them. Then I recalled how I felt in 85 and 77 and thought oxf*rd the cheating, kilted, alcoholic, drug addled pcunts.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2020 14:25

Zip I was listening to Ken Bruce this morning on route to a claim. Apparently the Scottish National team have adopted Yes sir I can Boogie as their anthem and he played them singing it (very badly) after last night’s game. For a few seconds I felt myself softening up a bit and almost feeling pleased for them. Then I recalled how I felt in 85 and 77 and thought oxf*rd the cheating, kilted, alcoholic, drug addled pcunts.

Whereas if the roles had been reversed Wales would have gentlemanly missed the penalties awarded.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Nov 2020 14:30

Sutekh
Zip I was listening to Ken Bruce this morning on route to a claim. Apparently the Scottish National team have adopted Yes sir I can Boogie as their anthem and he played them singing it (very badly) after last night’s game. For a few seconds I felt myself softening up a bit and almost feeling pleased for them. Then I recalled how I felt in 85 and 77 and thought oxf*rd the cheating, kilted, alcoholic, drug addled pcunts.

Whereas if the roles had been reversed Wales would have gentlemanly missed the penalties awarded.

Nah we would have missed them anyway ref Paul Bodin 1993.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Nov 2020 17:35

Still good news for England.....deadly rivals Iceland got knocked out last night :D :D

2571 posts