Euro 2020

2571 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by bcubed » 04 Mar 2021 14:02

Jagermesiter1871 Sounds like it could still be a go with fans but good odds of Scotland and Ireland losing their matches though.

Yeh I think they're just weighing up if it's some fans or all fans

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 18 Mar 2021 12:54

The Netherlands are playing a game this weekend with 5000 fans present in a test to see how that works out for the games planned in the Euros in June. All will be tested and traced. If it works out well the Euro games here will be on.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2021 14:10

26 man squad announced, seems to be a fair few defenders in there as usual

Surprise recall for Lingard but I suppose fairly logical with Maddison and Grealish both out

Of course, the ever present Eric gets in :|

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Mar 2021 14:17

URZZZZ 26 man squad announced, seems to be a fair few defenders in there as usual

Surprise recall for Lingard but I suppose fairly logical with Maddison and Grealish both out

FFS

Don't think we'll progress until he's dropped for good

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Mar 2021 14:18

Tbf, I think Lingard has had a noticeable uptick in performance since going to West Ham and probably deserves a recall.

Wouldn't be surprised if he makes his move permanent and he starts to be much more consistent, but yes it does help that both of Grealish and Maddison are both out.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2021 14:20

bcubed
URZZZZ 26 man squad announced, seems to be a fair few defenders in there as usual

FFS

Don't think we'll progress until he's dropped for good

Part of Southgate’s “philosophy” isn’t he?

Which means decent defenders are constantly overlooked. I’m quite surprised Tarkowski has never had an England call up given he’s a decent defender but I suppose he doesn’t fit our style of play of slowly passing around the defence so never mind

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2021 14:24

Hendo Tbf, I think Lingard has had a noticeable uptick in performance since going to West Ham and probably deserves a recall.

Wouldn't be surprised if he makes his move permanent and he starts to be much more consistent, but yes it does help that both of Grealish and Maddison are both out.

Lingard did well in the 2018 World Cup IIRC but hit an awful patch at United and never really recovered, shows the merits of moving to a “lesser team” though rather than benchwarming

Surprised there’s not a couple more West Ham players in there after their start to the season, Cresswell and Antonio may count themselves to be unlucky, especially considering Chilwell has had a poor season and still finds a way in. I suppose age works against them both though

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Mar 2021 14:26

Also, can't argue with Shaw's recall. Been excellent for Utd this season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2021 14:57

Hendo Also, can't argue with Shaw's recall. Been excellent for Utd this season.

Ditto AWB - still don’t think offensively he’s there, but been much improved. Probably can count himself unlucky although we do seem to have a lot more RB’s than LB’s

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Mar 2021 21:02

Hopefully Lingard is only there because of injuries to those two far better players and a couple of good games for West Ham would surely not normally warrant a call-up for a player who has hardly played first team football for 18 months.

Dier's selection is unfathomable.
Tarkowski is a much more reliable option.

Trippier and Walker and no Trent just as he is recovering his form.
I thought Southgate made a big thing of only picking players who are playing regularly-Walker is no longer a starter at City and Trippier?
I would sooner see Walker-Peters from Southampton.

Actually none of this really matters much because of the ludicrously low level of opposition.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Mar 2021 00:22

South Coast Royal

Hopefully Lingard is only there because of injuries to those two far better players and a couple of good games for West Ham would surely not normally warrant a call-up for a player who has hardly played first team football for 18 months.

I thought Southgate made a big thing of only picking players who are playing regularly-Walker is no longer a starter at City and Trippier?

Actually none of this really matters much because of the ludicrously low level of opposition.

Walker has done OK this season, I thought he was a fair regular still but could be wrong, haven’t watched Trippier so can’t comment, but there does seem to be a lot of competition for RB, with Lamptey (when fit), AWB and even Max Aarons other viable candidates

Southgate does seem to be a bit hypocritical with what he does/says but it can’t be easy picking a squad from such a vast range of players with particular competition at RB (as mentioned) and also the attacking berths

Perhaps we should start Dier against San Marino, may find his own level there :wink:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Mar 2021 11:55

URZZZZ
South Coast Royal

Walker has done OK this season, I thought he was a fair regular still but could be wrong, haven’t watched Trippier so can’t comment, but there does seem to be a lot of competition for RB, with Lamptey (when fit), AWB and even Max Aarons other viable candidates

Southgate does seem to be a bit hypocritical with what he does/says but it can’t be easy picking a squad from such a vast range of players with particular competition at RB (as mentioned) and also the attacking berths

Perhaps we should start Dier against San Marino, may find his own level there :wink:

Watching Maguire last night thought that he and Dier are far from being top international defenders.
It won't matter much in 2 of the 3 upcoming games as they'll have so little to do but looking a bit further ahead neither of them fill me with any confidence when we are due to play the better sides.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Mar 2021 16:20

South Coast Royal
URZZZZ
South Coast Royal

Watching Maguire last night thought that he and Dier are far from being top international defenders.
It won't matter much in 2 of the 3 upcoming games as they'll have so little to do but looking a bit further ahead neither of them fill me with any confidence when we are due to play the better sides.

Maguire is fine if you have someone with pace next to him, even better if that player is also very vocal/commanding

HM will win pretty much everything in the air but I really don't feel massively confident about him tbf

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Mar 2021 19:57

I have tickets for the Czech Republic game on 22nd June. Will be interesting to see if I go; government says all restrictions lifted on 21st, but I can't see them allowing 85,000 fans in Wembley. I'll be 33 with no health conditions, so may have had 1 jab but certainly not my 2nd and a vaccine passport.

Will be fantastic occasion if I can go

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Mar 2021 23:58

I've also got tickets but suspect they may have to go with reduced numbers somehow.

Decision day is April 7

UEFA's administrative deadline for host cities to submit their plans over the number of fans remains April 7.

A UEFA Executive Committee meeting takes place on April 19, where a final decision must be formally approved. UEFA Congress is then on April 20.

Speaking at a charity match in Croatia on March 14, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said: "The ideal scenario is to play the tournament in the original 12 venues but, if that is not possible, then it will go ahead in either 10 or 11 countries if one or more of the venues cannot meet the required conditions.

"We have several scenarios, but the one guarantee we can make is that the option of playing any Euro match in an empty stadium is off the table. Every host must guarantee there will be fans at their games."

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Apr 2021 23:11

bcubed I've also got tickets but suspect they may have to go with reduced numbers somehow.

Decision day is April 7

UEFA's administrative deadline for host cities to submit their plans over the number of fans remains April 7.

A UEFA Executive Committee meeting takes place on April 19, where a final decision must be formally approved. UEFA Congress is then on April 20.

Speaking at a charity match in Croatia on March 14, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said: "The ideal scenario is to play the tournament in the original 12 venues but, if that is not possible, then it will go ahead in either 10 or 11 countries if one or more of the venues cannot meet the required conditions.

"We have several scenarios, but the one guarantee we can make is that the option of playing any Euro match in an empty stadium is off the table. Every host must guarantee there will be fans at their games."

Wonder if we'll hear anything tomorrow or have to wait until 20th?

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 07 Apr 2021 16:45

The Dutch football association have let UEFA know that they will be able to have atleast 12,000 fans present at the EURO 2020 games held in Amsterdam. They hope for more but it depends on the Covid situation in June.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Apr 2021 17:32

So official Euros email today says the last chance to get a refund on tickets is 22nd April. At the moment not all countries have said what their stadium capacities will be.

And if there are more tickets sold than the new agreed capacities, there will be a ballot -

Once the ticket return portal is closed, UEFA ticketing will calculate the number of tickets which remain sold per match for all venues. Should there be matches where there are more sold tickets than a reduced new agreed capacity, UEFA ticketing will run a ballot per match, across all ticket categories to decide which tickets remain valid and which tickets will, unfortunately, therefore need to be cancelled.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Apr 2021 17:34

London has confirmed a minimum capacity of 25% for the three group matches and round of 16 match and are hoping to confirm a higher capacity for the semi-finals and final in early July.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediase ... pectators/

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 10 Apr 2021 10:46

Unfortunately for me my two matches I hold a ticket for are in the Wembley 25% bracket (England Czech Republic & R16). Will still keep them and go in the ballot again.

2571 posts