World Cup 2022 qualifying begins

410 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: World Cup 2022 qualifying begins

by Simmops » 24 Mar 2021 19:01

Hendo Using ratio’d in an argument. Good one :|

They’re results do not count towards any qualifying results, ergo they’re not part of the qualifying tournament.

Doesn't matter. They are playing in the European qualifying group. That's the original argument.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Mar 2021 09:40

Simmops
Hendo Using ratio’d in an argument. Good one :|

They’re results do not count towards any qualifying results, ergo they’re not part of the qualifying tournament.

Doesn't matter. They are playing in the European qualifying group. That's the original argument.

They aren't though are they - they have been offered the chance to play teams who are in the tournament when they have a free matchday. It is just a straightforward way to play friendles given there is a compressed timescale for qualifying and it will be much harder than usual to arrange non-competitive games.

Decent solution really else there was a real chance Qatar would host a WC having barely played for a couple of years.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Mar 2021 11:00

That ^^

As I said, glorified friendlies.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 25 Mar 2021 19:10

Simmops
Hendo
Simmops They are.

Please point to me on this image as to what group they're in.

:|

RATIO'D

" Why are Qatar in with Europe’s teams?
Wait, is that Qatar in Group A along with Portugal, Serbia, Republic of Ireland, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan?

Yes and no. In a move designed to give next year’s hosts much-needed experience against seasoned opposition, Qatar will act as the group’s sixth team.

Their results will not count towards the group’s standings, however. The matches are merely for practice, given the team naturally already has a place at the Qatar 2022 World Cup.

This isn’t the first time Qatar have been parachuted into an unfamiliar competition.

They also played (dismally) in the 2019 Copa America and will be part of this summer’s Gold Cup, normally reserved for North American, Central American and Caribbean nations "

Why oh why wasn't the tournament taken away from that country. They bribed FIFA to get it. It's like fraudsters being told, "don't worry, keep the cash". It amazes me that the FAs across the world promote all this equality yet want to hold it in a country where human rights are basically non existent, that human trafficking is rife and the death toll is still rising in slave labour conditions for builders. Why is noone talking about it. I'd love Wales to go but I really hope we fail (which we may well do) because all this tournament is doing is promoting a backward thinking country whilst football shows its two faced hypocritical side.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Mar 2021 08:43

Solid performance last night and didn't get beat but it could have been so much better with a competent ref and/or VAR (never thought I'd say that!) Both equalisers were crackers but the bid lad up front for Australia was pretty deadly in the air. Clarke IN

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Mar 2021 13:52

Ascotexgunner
Simmops
Hendo
Please point to me on this image as to what group they're in.

:|

RATIO'D

" Why are Qatar in with Europe’s teams?
Wait, is that Qatar in Group A along with Portugal, Serbia, Republic of Ireland, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan?

Yes and no. In a move designed to give next year’s hosts much-needed experience against seasoned opposition, Qatar will act as the group’s sixth team.

Their results will not count towards the group’s standings, however. The matches are merely for practice, given the team naturally already has a place at the Qatar 2022 World Cup.

This isn’t the first time Qatar have been parachuted into an unfamiliar competition.

They also played (dismally) in the 2019 Copa America and will be part of this summer’s Gold Cup, normally reserved for North American, Central American and Caribbean nations "

Why oh why wasn't the tournament taken away from that country. They bribed FIFA to get it. It's like fraudsters being told, "don't worry, keep the cash". It amazes me that the FAs across the world promote all this equality yet want to hold it in a country where human rights are basically non existent, that human trafficking is rife and the death toll is still rising in slave labour conditions for builders. Why is noone talking about it. I'd love Wales to go but I really hope we fail (which we may well do) because all this tournament is doing is promoting a backward thinking country whilst football shows its two faced hypocritical side.

+1

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Mar 2021 21:40

Well, on tonight's showing Qatar will fancy their chances against Ireland.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Mar 2021 22:02

From Despair To Where? Well, on tonight's showing Qatar will fancy their chances against Ireland.

Wish I'd watched that. F+cking hilarious. What happend, did they try and play football for a change rather than the thuggish dirge they have been playing for decades?

On another now well done Chris Gunter.....100 caps and played well. And a win.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Mar 2021 22:12

Ireland don't really have the squad depth any more and certainly don't have a Bale type player who can win a game on his own. Matt Doherty s probably the 1 big name player but the majority of the squad are playing in The Championship and League 1 or are squad players at the arse end of the Premiership. They gave a debut tonight to a 19 year old goalkeeper currently playing for Rochdale (admittedly on loan from Man City)

That not withstanding, they were poor tonight. Dominated possession but didn't create enough and were then beaten by a 30 yarder 3 minutes from time. Luxembourg are a much improved side but Ireland should have had more than enough to win.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Mar 2021 23:05

Ronaldo acting a oxf*rd child again

Although it was a goal, didn't need to act like that. Great role model :roll:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 27 Mar 2021 23:25

Blimey, Luxembourg......

Most of my friends over here are Irish and that will have hurt.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Mar 2021 00:13

Ireland’s demise is no loss. A truly awful football nation with their prehistoric hoof ball style of play.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Mar 2021 12:30

Simmops Ronaldo acting a oxf*rd child again

Although it was a goal, didn't need to act like that. Great role model :roll:

I probably would understand if he had run up to the ref or lino and abused them......but that really was pathetic to walk off and throw the armband down.......as you say, like a child.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Mar 2021 12:55

Zip Ireland’s demise is no loss. A truly awful football nation with their prehistoric hoof ball style of play.

Scotland and wales > Ireland

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 28 Mar 2021 14:37

Pretty certain that is not correct over the past 30 years

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 28 Mar 2021 18:26

History was made yesterday when the Netherlands v Latvia game had a female referee. She did fine btw.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Mar 2021 09:24

Zip Ireland’s demise is no loss. A truly awful football nation with their prehistoric hoof ball style of play.

There really isn't a worse international side you could watch in terms of entertainment, utter dross. They need a complete reboot.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Mar 2021 11:10

Lewandowski OUT for Poland on Wednesday, huge help.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Mar 2021 09:24

Was thinking about Ireland - they are surely suffering like Scotland Wales for the lack of Home Nations players now in the upper levels of the PL. Thinking back to 80s/90s Ireland - Staunton, Houghton, Whelan, Babb, McGrath, Aldridge, O'Leary, Townsend, Bonner. You can write similar lists for Wales and Scotland.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Mar 2021 20:17

LUX Blimey, Luxembourg......

Most of my friends over here are Irish and that will have hurt.

And now leading v Portugal!

Playing well too.

410 posts