World Cup 2022 qualifying begins

410 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: World Cup 2022 qualifying begins

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Nov 2021 19:57

Nigeria 1-1 Cape Verde

These were the top 2 teams in the group and CV needed to win to go top and progress, alas, Nigeria (who are apparently awful these days) got the point they needed

Cameroon currently winning 1-0 at HT at home to Ivory Coast in a final group game where the top two are playing each other. Winner goes through, a draw will see the Ivory Coast go through

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Nov 2021 20:16

Orion1871 Algeria are hosting Burkina Faso in a tense World Cup qualifier right now. Algeria accused Burkina Faso of performing black magic on the pitch at the Mustapha Tchaker Stadium in Blida. Algeria brought in an exorcist to remove the spell.
YES! this is what we want to see in the finals....can’t they both be ceded through?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Nov 2021 09:07

I seeded teams look in a strong position in the play-off draw. Allowing for a shock, I'll go with 5 seeded teams and one unseeded in the final.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Nov 2021 13:09

WestYorksRoyal I seeded teams look in a strong position in the play-off draw. Allowing for a shock, I'll go with 5 seeded teams and one unseeded in the final.

And who to qualify?

Italy Portugal and one other?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Nov 2021 13:15

bcubed
WestYorksRoyal I seeded teams look in a strong position in the play-off draw. Allowing for a shock, I'll go with 5 seeded teams and one unseeded in the final.

And who to qualify?

Italy may meet Portugal in one of the finals. By one other I’m sure you meant to say Wales.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Nov 2021 13:25

Zip
bcubed

And who to qualify?

Italy may meet Portugal in one of the finals. By one other I’m sure you meant to say Wales.

Of course but just looking at who is left and assuming they don’t meet I would say those two should qualify plus one other, I mean Wales!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Nov 2021 14:21

Who's won their last 6 competitive games?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Nov 2021 14:22

bcubed
Zip
bcubed And who to qualify?

Of course but just looking at who is left and assuming they don’t meet I would say those two should qualify plus one other, I mean Wales!

It’s all about the luck of the draw from here. We could draw Italy away. So even if we make the final it’s still going to be difficult to qualify

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Nov 2021 14:23

Silver Fox Who's won their last 6 competitive games?

Don’t be ridiculous Silver Fox. Scotland wins don’t count in my household.
In fairness Clarke is doing a very good job and their results have been excellent post the Euro Finals.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Nov 2021 16:54

Disaster for Poland failing to get a seeded berth when all they needed to do was beat Hungary. Sounds like a few of them didn't even know the rules :?

Wonder what stadium Wales will use for the playoff home leg. They always play at Cardiff City's stadium now but with a World Cup just 2 games away included a guaranteed home match, the temptation must be to use the Millennium.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Nov 2021 17:03

RG30 Disaster for Poland failing to get a seeded berth when all they needed to do was beat Hungary. Sounds like a few of them didn't even know the rules :?

Wonder what stadium Wales will use for the playoff home leg. They always play at Cardiff City's stadium now but with a World Cup just 2 games away included a guaranteed home match, the temptation must be to use the Millennium.

I can say with certainty the semi final will be played at the Cardiff City Stadium and rightly so. Only one defeat there in nineteen games and we have played some good sides in that time.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2021 12:51

Zip

In fairness Clarke is doing a very good job and their results have been excellent post the Euro Finals.

Think Clarke could have taken us far without the Fulham shenanigans. Obviously a good manager and got us playing some of our best football we’ve seen for a while

It’s no surprise the job he’s doing for Scotland. Outthought Southgate at the Euros, could potentially have even won that one

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Nov 2021 13:12

URZZZZ
Zip

Think Clarke could have taken us far without the Fulham shenanigans. Obviously a good manager and got us playing some of our best football we’ve seen for a while

It’s no surprise the job he’s doing for Scotland. Outthought Southgate at the Euros, could potentially have even won that one

Still not sure of those Fulham shenanigans, did Mr Clarke go and talk to Fulham on the quiet, in which case Fulham would have been guilty of an illegal approach yet Reading didn’t complain to the FL or start legal action. As none of that happened, did the Reading owners at that time accept an approach and grant permission for SC to talk to Fulham - or were the supposed talks never actually anything more than an unfounded rumour?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2021 23:02

Sutekh
URZZZZ
Zip

Still not sure of those Fulham shenanigans, did Mr Clarke go and talk to Fulham on the quiet, in which case Fulham would have been guilty of an illegal approach yet Reading didn’t complain to the FL or start legal action. As none of that happened, did the Reading owners at that time accept an approach and grant permission for SC to talk to Fulham - or were the supposed talks never actually anything more than an unfounded rumour?

Believe Fulham approached him for a talk, he accepted it, then the board granted him permission for it before he rejected the move after talks

The strange thing was that although we’d hit a bit of a blip, he’d got the team playing some really good stuff. Fulham were considered a bit of a shambles at that time too. Managers (and players) going off to talk to other teams is part and parcel of football but I’d wager it’s something Clarke regretted as he has very little fan support after

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Nov 2021 13:32

URZZZZ
Sutekh
URZZZZ

Believe Fulham approached him for a talk, he accepted it, then the board granted him permission for it before he rejected the move after talks

The strange thing was that although we’d hit a bit of a blip, he’d got the team playing some really good stuff. Fulham were considered a bit of a shambles at that time too. Managers (and players) going off to talk to other teams is part and parcel of football but I’d wager it’s something Clarke regretted as he has very little fan support after

But what does that tell a manager if your club grants permission for you to talk to another club in the same division that, at the time, was pretty much the same standing as Reading. Yes Reading had hit a bit of a blip at the time but given the FA Cup semi appearance and the decent football and results that had been appearing I think Mr Clarke was deserving of more time to work things out.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Nov 2021 16:59

Winston Biscuit Nigeria 1-1 Cape Verde

These were the top 2 teams in the group and CV needed to win to go top and progress, alas, Nigeria (who are apparently awful these days) got the point they needed

Cameroon currently winning 1-0 at HT at home to Ivory Coast in a final group game where the top two are playing each other. Winner goes through, a draw will see the Ivory Coast go through

Usual suspects into the final playoffs in Africa then, with the exception of DR Congo, who will just be hoping for a decent draw and a chance to reach only their second World Cup, their debut being in 1974, as Zaire, when they lost all three group games, conceding 14 goals.

It was that Zaire team that gave us the iconic moment of a player sprinting from a defensive wall at a Brazilian direct free kick, and punting the ball up the field.

South Africa and Ivory Coast missed out.

Senegal, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria and Nigeria will be seeded, each playing one of Egypt, Cameroon, Ghana, Mali and DR Congo.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Nov 2021 17:05

There's a while to go in CONCACAF - but looks increasingly like Mexico, USA, Panama and Canada will fight it out for three automatic spots in Qatar, with the unlucky loser going into a playoff. Canada beat Mexico last week to go top of the qualifying table, but there are six games still to play.

In South America, Brazil and Argentina have qualified, and Ecuador will soon join them. After that, anyone but Venezuela might still hope to take the fourth automatic spot, with just four points separating Colombia in fourth with Paraguay in ninth. Four games to go.

In Oceania, COVID in the region has meant that qualifying isn't yet underway, albeit its a slightly futile 'competition' anyway. Latest plan is for the 11 affiliated countries to participate in a tournament in Qatar next March, after which New Zealand will no doubt that their usual place in the interconfederation play-offs.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Nov 2021 17:12

I noticed that Canada have scored 13 goals in this qualifying round and 11 of then have been scored by Cyle Larin (who?)

Top scoring American has 3 goals

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 26 Nov 2021 16:27

Playoff draw. Each 'path' will produce one finalist for Qatar.

Path A - Scotland v Ukraine, Wales v Austria - so only one of Scotland and Wales will make it to the World Cup.
Path B - Russia v Poland, Sweden v Czech Republic
Path C - Italy v North Macedonia, Portugal v Turkey.

So that late Serbian winner has created a likely big final playoff tie - only one of Italy and Portugal will be in Qatar.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Nov 2021 16:39

Sanguine Playoff draw. Each 'path' will produce one finalist for Qatar.

Path A - Scotland v Ukraine, Wales v Austria - so only one of Scotland and Wales will make it to the World Cup. Scotland v Austria - Austria to qualify
Path B - Russia v Poland, Sweden v Czech Republic Poland v Sweden - Poland to qualify
Path C - Italy v North Macedonia, Portugal v Turkey. Italy v Portugal - Italy to qualify

So that late Serbian winner has created a likely big final playoff tie - only one of Italy and Portugal will be in Qatar.

410 posts